New kdx owner, Wa

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

New kdx owner, Wa

Post by Mnolan660r »

Just want to say hello!!
Been riding for years, took a 10 year hiatus to concentrate on family and my business, just recently had life throw a curve ball my way, and as fate would have it, family is all but gone, business is doing great, and I found a 97’ kdx200 in the back of my buddies garage that hadn’t been started in years. Made him an offer and took it home. A few parts and a lot of elbow grease later, and she’s alive again!! Never owned a Kdx before, but have owned several kx 125’s and a few kx250’s.

Excited to get back to it!!

-Mark
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New kdx owner, Wa

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Welcome to the tribe! You are going to love the KDX. Great group here as well.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining us. We are quite fond of lime green!

Congratulations on the KDX! Enjoy!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Cool! Glad to have another home slice.
What part of the state?
So far I have ridden walker valley and Whidbey MX.
Do you have any other recommended spots?
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums, a lot of us use our bikes as cheap therapy (well, cheaper than a therapist anyways lol). Lots of great riding in this state.

Goat you have to get over and ride Naches/Taneum, Gifford Pinchot. Both a bit of a drive for you, but great riding.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I have a place to use (my kid’s) in Ellensburg. Just need to plan better. Where’s the trails start near Naches/taneum?
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Naches side start off FS19 which starts at Hwy410 west of Yakima. Taneum starts off W.Taneum/NF33 road about 20 mi west of Eburg.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Cool! TY. I need to have a look.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

Thanks!
Looking to get out next weekend, not sure where we are headed, maybe capital forest, I honestly can’t remember all the places I used to ride. I’ll try to post up when/ where we will be at.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

My “race” buddies are planning to hit the sprint enduro, at McCleary. Grays harbor ORV, Mem Day weekend. I think that is kind of the NW corner of Capitol Forest. I am trying to work up a pair of big boy pants, to join them.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

Goat wrote: 09:11 pm Aug 17 2020 My “race” buddies are planning to hit the sprint enduro, at McCleary. Grays harbor ORV, Mem Day weekend. I think that is kind of the NW corner of Capitol Forest. I am trying to work up a pair of big boy pants, to join them.
Gotcha, im not too familiar with that area, I remember riding Stratoline back in the day, and riding from middle Waddell campgrounds to rock candy mt. and stratoline. I was on an XR600 back then, had to stage fuel for the return trip. I'm hoping that the KDX is a bit more fuel efficient, especially after getting the Lectron on there. I'll have to check out the Grays Harbor ORV. I don't ever recall going there. I'm stoked, its been too long out of the saddle!!!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Grays Harbor ORV is the old Straddleline park. Ryan Villapoto and a couple other guys took it over from the county a couple years ago. They've done some nice work to the track, but aren't really great stewards of the trails in the forest (which they use occasionally for different events)that connect there which is a shame. The big loop from Waddell creek around Larch Mountain is about 50 miles, My KDX can make it on a tank, but not by much. Just depends on how bad the mud and roots are, dry days are better, wet days are more common.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Capitol Forest is what/where gave me the bug for dirt bikes, after 20yrs of shovel Harley’s. A couple kids at work invited me along for the day. So I dusted off my old trusty DT250, and had maybe the best day of my adult life. DT250 turned into a KDX a 3 years later. And the real stoking began. But I deeply miss my jake-brake.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

That is awesome!! Ive put in a tiny bit of saddle time on a 74' ( I think) dt250!! I remember ripping across a farmers field in Soap Lake trying to get to the Sam Isreal riding area, and the "Jake brake" had come loose in the head, causing it to die. I remember being freaked out, (didn't want to get caught again crossing the farmers land) and burning my fingers trying to get the thing in as snug as I could (didn't know that was the cause at the time, just a lucky guess!!) got it snugged up enough by hand that the bike would light and run for a bit, then it would vibrate loose, and die, so I'd stop and hand tighten it and get a few hundred yards down the trail, and repeat the whole process! When I finally crossed the highway into the riding area there was a guy that had a crescent wrench, tightened it the best he could, and I rode the rest of the afternoon!!! I think I was 14, great times!!
Do you still have the DT?
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

I also had a 74' Elsinore MT250 in high school, those old 2 strokes were fun to ride and taught you how to ride, minimal amount of suspension, minimal amount of power, and an absolute blast to flog thought the woods and mud!!!
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I had same 72 model DT in HS. Used to ride backroads into town to get to baseball when I was 14 & 15. Then got my first tix at 16 when plate fell off. No plate / no endorsement... riding it on I5 (duh)
It went to good home. A guy in AK was same as me. Learned how to ride on his dads 72. So wanted another one, said paid me & shipping to get it to Fairbanks.
Attachments
5C45135F-1956-4C8D-A9BD-7D58653B2A14.jpeg
5C45135F-1956-4C8D-A9BD-7D58653B2A14.jpeg (547.38 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

My Elsinore was the one that got away. A few short years ago (maybe 15) I was leary of working on carbs. And avoided them at all cost. This is the bike I miss most. And would never have sold, if I knew them what I know now! Came from the Monroe swap meet when I was shopping for a blower for my car. What a beauty! And probably carb clean & $10 of jets from perfection. MR175
Attachments
FACFFD3A-1973-4BFF-93DC-9CFA9987579C.jpeg
FACFFD3A-1973-4BFF-93DC-9CFA9987579C.jpeg (435.92 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

When I bought it, my kdx ran shitty (no top end rev out) just like the MR. Lucky I am not such a carb weenie any more. Maybe the want to sell me back that Elsinore?
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

MAN! Nice bikes!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Also had a'76 MR175, fun except for having points that constantly needed to be adjusted...thank God for CDI systems!