New Guy Looking at 2 Different KDX’s!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
EVG

New Guy Looking at 2 Different KDX’s!

Post by EVG »

Thanks for having me! Basically new to the dirt bike scene, but have decided at the age of 42 I want one! The excuse is my son would like one eventually and he will ride with me. Basically trail riding around here, was looking at getting a KTM XC variant of some sort and have stumbled upon many different posts regarding the KDX bikes. Jumped on Facebook marketplace and found 2 somewhat local to me. I’m not opposed to spending some money to get either just right, but want to make sure the asking prices are at least in line with the market. For comparison sake they are both 220’s, the first being a ‘00 and the second being a ‘97. Both sellers are asking $2100. At quick glance they look some to be in respectable shape for the age. I’m hoping I can bring a friend along to inspect as I don’t know what to look for..Thanks!
Attachments
First Bike
First Bike
F0DBEB44-7611-4CD0-96E2-F9CF7CFFEB6D.png (45.05 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
Second Bike
Second Bike
19CDED32-B75F-43A6-AB41-1CF638FCC81E.png (43.51 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Guy Looking at 2 Different KDX’s!

Post by doakley »

Can you afford both? Then your son has his now. If not, and only judging by the photos, I’d go for the one with the white fender because of the fork upgrade.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Yup, first one for me also.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
EVG

Post by EVG »

doakley wrote: 01:23 pm May 20 2020 Can you afford both? Then your son has his now. If not, and only judging by the photos, I’d go for the one with the white fender because of the fork upgrade.
Thought had crossed my mind! The first one has the stock suspension on it right now, but he still has the suspension upgrade that I could purchase with the bike. The second bike we shall see what they say, as soon as I asked if they had a title for it she said she had to ask her son I’ve heard nothing since. Need a title here to get it registered to ride in state land!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thank you for joining and participating.

Are these on Facebook Marketplace or craigslist? If so, do you have links you could post, so we could try to see more pictures and get a better feel by reading the descriptions?

Certain states have higher or lower prices on dirt bikes than others. What might be a high price in one area may be just right in another area.

If your state requires a title to ride on state land, AND you intend to ride on state land, then spend some time reading up on the rules of titles in your state. I live in AL, where the state does not title off-road bikes. Just from reading other's experiences, I would be sure the title is in the name of the seller, not the previous owner, or the owner before him or 2, 3 back.

Neither looks like a junker, but the top one has an old exhaust system on it. It makes me think the "big money" was spent a while back. There is no headlight on the first one. There is on the second one.

While shopping, research what the price is to replace missing items.

Get your friend to check for play in the swingarm and linkage bearings. If the seller did not maintain the bearings (not too tough to do as far as tasks go), then other things got neglected, too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Welcome, for sure the first one, YZ125 front end and Hydraulic clutch, FMF pipe and a silencer, looks well looked after..
02 KDX220
EVG

Post by EVG »

Sorry tried posting links and for some reason it won't let me from facebook marketplace.

The first bike the guy currently has the factory suspension on for $2100, but will include the fork upgrade if I pay “the right price”. And the second bike is in limbo right now, they don’t have a title, I’m going to look into it, but you need a title in Iowa to ride on state land and that’s where most of the trails are. I’ve asked them both if any engine work has been done, and neither of them knows. We will see where this goes!! Thanks for the help this far!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Personally, I'd probably look elsewhere on both. The title is an issue for sure, we have those same problems with ORV tags and registration, title makes it much easier. On the first one the guy puts a for sale ad up with a picture of the bike he's not selling with forks he wants extra for instead of how it currently is? Puts him a half step above click bait articles for me, but then I am grumpier in my old age lol Keep in mind that on the 220 you need to replace the stock piston unless they can unequivocally prove it's already been done. Thats an extra $150 after the sale if its not done already.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

JimmyB wrote: 05:38 pm May 20 2020 Welcome, for sure the first one, YZ125 front end and Hydraulic clutch, FMF pipe and a silencer, looks well looked after..
How do you know it has a YZ125 front end and hydraulic clutch??

I have bought a few used bikes over the years. Finding one that is:

CHEAP
VERY CLOSE
EXCELLENT CONDITION
TITLED

is going to be a near miracle. One has to make concessions on a used dirt bike. One is going to have to drive or pay or work on it for a while. One does NOT have to deal with it not having a title. It should be an EASY NO. :naughty:

Don't wait forever on finding one that has a tittle AND is close by AND in excellent condition AND cheap. :wah:
EVG

Post by EVG »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:42 pm May 20 2020
JimmyB wrote: 05:38 pm May 20 2020 Welcome, for sure the first one, YZ125 front end and Hydraulic clutch, FMF pipe and a silencer, looks well looked after..

CHEAP
VERY CLOSE
EXCELLENT CONDITION
TITLED

is going to be a near miracle. One has to make concessions on a used dirt bike. One is going to have to drive or pay or work on it for a while. One does NOT have to deal with it not having a title. It should be an EASY NO. :naughty:

Don't wait forever on finding one that has a tittle AND is close by AND in excellent condition AND cheap. :wah:
Very good advice!! Thank you!! The second one is definitely out, they can’t answer any questions or produce an documents. My guess is the guy will take $24/2500 for the top one, the fork is a ‘98 YZ125 fork, actually I believe the front tire and brake assembly are also included with that fork. I did overlook the fact that it does have a Magura hydraulic clutch. Based on what I’m seeing on the used market for pricing, it doesn’t seem high. The other bike I’m looking at locally is a 2014 KTM 350 XCF, but it appears it might need some work, I’d have to pick it up for 32-3300 to even consider it.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:42 pm May 20 2020

CHEAP
VERY CLOSE
EXCELLENT CONDITION
TITLED

I found the FB post :mrgreen: Its titled and stickered...looks like a clean bike..
Last edited by JimmyB on 09:45 am May 21 2020, edited 2 times in total.
02 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks. Skip the second one then.

If you are just starting out, you might want to stay with a KDX or other more friendly to beginners model. A KTM is "Ready to Race", so not designed from the start for a casual trail ride, though they will surely do it.

I wouldn't pay $300 - $400 extra for a '98 YZ125 front end. The stock front end is going to be fine for what you have going on. You can always change it later on if it becomes a "must". It's a dirt bike, it will be enough of a money pit with or without the front end swap. :-)
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

EVG wrote: 07:12 am May 21 2020 The other bike I’m looking at locally is a 2014 KTM 350 XCF, but it appears it might need some work, I’d have to pick it up for 32-3300 to even consider it.
Use caution on these if it needs engine work, low hours doesn't mean anything if it was abused ,if there was poor maintenance or neglected, the bills can start adding up real quick.. My brother in laws good deal of a 03 XR250, a engine that should last a lifetime with just oil changes and tune ups, seller had run it low on oil and he ended up with a $1000 parts bill..
02 KDX220
EVG

Post by EVG »

JimmyB wrote: 09:24 am May 21 2020
EVG wrote: 07:12 am May 21 2020 The other bike I’m looking at locally is a 2014 KTM 350 XCF, but it appears it might need some work, I’d have to pick it up for 32-3300 to even consider it.
Use caution on these if it needs engine work, low hours doesn't mean anything if it was abused ,if there was poor maintenance or neglected, the bills can start adding up real quick.. My brother in laws good deal of a 03 XR250, a engine that should last a lifetime with just oil changes and tune ups, ended up with a $1000 parts bill..
Kind of why I’m leaning towards an older reliable bike, plus if it needs some work it will force me to learn about how they work instead of just paying someone to do it. Sadly I was told by a local dealer that 4 strokes are cheaper and easier to work on, from what I’m reading that’s not the case. They just want to sell me a new bike.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

EVG wrote: 09:44 am May 21 2020 Kind of why I’m leaning towards an older reliable bike, plus if it needs some work it will force me to learn about how they work instead of just paying someone to do it. Sadly I was told by a local dealer that 4 strokes are cheaper and easier to work on, from what I’m reading that’s not the case. They just want to sell me a new bike.
In some cases yes, the 4 stroke models such as the CRF,TTR and KLX230, the CRF250F and the KLX300 are a basic maintenance bike.
02 KDX220
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Since many, I think most, states do not title off road bikes, I've never been overly concerned. You're looking at a 20+ yr old dirt bike that has probably had multiple owners. The title paperwork is often long gone. Concern it might be a stolen bike is another issue.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

doakley wrote: 01:28 pm May 21 2020 Since many, I think most, states do not title off road bikes, I've never been overly concerned. You're looking at a 20+ yr old dirt bike that has probably had multiple owners. The title paperwork is often long gone. Concern it might be a stolen bike is another issue.
That’s the big thing in states that don’t title these bikes. VIN checks are a thing.
I like turtles
EVG

Post by EVG »

One more bike for consideration. It’s a 2008 KTM 250 XCF, the guy will take $3100 for it. Details are it has 24.2 original hours, has an upgraded piston and renegade clutch, tubeless tire system with 75% tread and a lithium battery. Would this be comparable to the KDX? Is it worth $1000, for the better suspension alone? I plan on looking at both of them this weekend!
Attachments
29851CC7-97AD-453D-9917-AA582F20E118.png
29851CC7-97AD-453D-9917-AA582F20E118.png (38.52 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Like the Doakster said, dirt bikes don't come with a title. They come with a manufacturer's statement of origin, an MSO. Owners then have to apply for a title. If it isn't required, most folks never apply for the title.

As for buying a pre-owned KTM...I would never do it...especially a 4 stroke. It is very expensive to rebuild the top end on a 4 stroke. In addition, KTM is not like the Japanese manufacturers...it is sometimes difficult to get parts for older bikes. Heck, my local KTM dealer won't even work on a KTM that is over 10 years old. I've had very little difficulty getting parts for my older Japanese bikes from the major parts houses.

Here's a link to a KTM vs KDX thread that you may want to check out: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=19879

It would be beneficial to go to KTMtalk.com and do a search for info on a particular KTM model. There is a lot of info there. It seems like the 2004 or 2005 to 2008 models were pretty much the same model? It escapes me but I seem to recall those model years being grouped together. Be sure to search for info on the starter, exhaust flange breakage, and inner clutch cover gasket leak. (Are ya' skeered yet)?

The KDX is a great little bike. I wish I hadn't sold mine. Ya' just have to know that the 220 OEM piston could be a problem, the suspension can be improved, the KIPS pawl is subject to breaking if you don't remove it correctly, and once the doakster wins the national championship on his KDX it will be impossible to find a used one for sale.
EVG

Post by EVG »

lucy wrote: 07:53 am May 22 2020 Like the Doakster said, dirt bikes don't come with a title. They come with a manufacturer's statement of origin, an MSO. Owners then have to apply for a title. If it isn't required, most folks never apply for the title.

As for buying a pre-owned KTM...I would never do it...especially a 4 stroke. It is very expensive to rebuild the top end on a 4 stroke. In addition, KTM is not like the Japanese manufacturers...it is sometimes difficult to get parts for older bikes. Heck, my local KTM dealer won't even work on a KTM that is over 10 years old. I've had very little difficulty getting parts for my older Japanese bikes from the major parts houses.

Here's a link to a KTM vs KDX thread that you may want to check out: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=19879

It would be beneficial to go to KTMtalk.com and do a search for info on a particular KTM model. There is a lot of info there. It seems like the 2004 or 2005 to 2008 models were pretty much the same model? It escapes me but I seem to recall those model years being grouped together. Be sure to search for info on the starter, exhaust flange breakage, and inner clutch cover gasket leak. (Are ya' skeered yet)?

The KDX is a great little bike. I wish I hadn't sold mine. Ya' just have to know that the 220 OEM piston could be a problem, the suspension can be improved, the KIPS pawl is subject to breaking if you don't remove it correctly, and once the doakster wins the national championship on his KDX it will be impossible to find a used one for sale.
Awesome! Thank you I will read it, for some reason I get hung up on the fact the bike is 20 years old..what I need to be focusing on is how nobody says anything bad about this bike, and how perfect it is for a beginner and it’s only $2100, I could put $1500 in it fixing/modifying things and still have a bike better suited/more capable/and more reliable than anything available used on the market.

Fortunately I have the means to repair/upgrade whatever the bike may need. I could walk in and purchase a new KTM/Beta if I wanted to, but I don’t..I don’t want to be that guy who shows up with all new equipment without a clue of what any of it does. Want to start at the bottom and work my way through it, like it should be done. My guess is I will be purchasing the KDX this weekend!