New to the forum, What did I get myself into?

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
PacificNWRider

New to the forum, What did I get myself into?

Post by PacificNWRider »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I just bought a 1991/92 KDX250 for a deal I couldn't pass up. You know the saying "You get what you pay for".... well I suppose I let my childhood nostalgia take command and buy whatever the heck it wanted. I am a little deeper in this than I wanted to be... But I know it will be worth it in the end.

I have been wanting to get something that I would call the "perfect bike". In my eyes the perfect bike would be a combination of a 4T & a mid 90's 2T :grin: .

I believe that the KDX250 is that bike. Yes, a little outdated with weight, suspension & looks, this bike has everything else there is to desire or necessary to achieve the status of "Ultimate Pacific Northwest Trail Bike". -in my humble opinion

The only problem is that I don't know to much about rebuilding dirt bike engines. I am mechanic, and for my business I mainly work on antique engines. 1910-1950's, and newer vehicles. I know my way around an older engine , and a newer automotive engine, but these mid 90's two-strokes I know little about. "Nikasil" is a whole new animal.

I plan to do a build on this bike and post as much of it as I can on the board here for others to check out. I am also hoping to get help from pro's around the forum that I have already learned so much from.

thanks for having me!
'91 KDX 250 D1
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: New to the forum, What did I get myself into?

Post by kdxsully »

Decide what you’re gonna do now, you’re feet are gonna get a little wetter than you think.

Antique motors huh? Fascinating. Bikes or cars?

Yes, nikasil was introduced in the 1950s I think. Good stuff :lol:
I like turtles
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

I was in the same boat with a lot of automotive experience. I rebuilt my KDX engine completely and really enjoyed learning more about these bikes than I had bothered to when I was younger. They are fascinating when your view of engines is based on automobiles. Things did get a little out of hand $ wise with mine but no where near what a comparable new bike would have cost, and it could have been done for less. I would spend the money up front if you are able and make sure the heart of your bike is solid then work out to the edges as finances allow.
This forum is a great place to see the problems others have had and learn from that rather than making the mistakes yourself.
PacificNWRider

Post by PacificNWRider »

I got the bike completely broke down, you are right, I should have worn the muck boots!

I am going to start a new thread I think, got several questions and pictures already, and what im guessing to be a decent amount of damage.

Actually neither! I work on "Hit n Miss, One Lungers, Johnny poppers" they call them. They are old flywheel engines that pretty much started the tractor and automotive industry. Every farm had one that either ran a generator, pumped water, ground wheat/corn/feed for animals, all sorts of stuff. I have ones that run a meat grinder, apple press, ice cream machine, generator, and others. If your interested, go to youtube and type "hit miss engine" the first one that comes up should be a old saw engine at the show, I have one of those same setups.
'91 KDX 250 D1
PacificNWRider

Post by PacificNWRider »

decluk13 wrote: 05:04 pm Mar 01 2020 I was in the same boat with a lot of automotive experience. I rebuilt my KDX engine completely and really enjoyed learning more about these bikes than I had bothered to when I was younger. They are fascinating when your view of engines is based on automobiles. Things did get a little out of hand $ wise with mine but no where near what a comparable new bike would have cost, and it could have been done for less. I would spend the money up front if you are able and make sure the heart of your bike is solid then work out to the edges as finances allow.
This forum is a great place to see the problems others have had and learn from that rather than making the mistakes yourself.
I will take this as solid advise. After some quick looking, I think I am going to be far beyond what I planned budge wise, but still in a reasonable range in comparison. I think I am going to send the crank and cylinder to Millennium first off and get the heart square, like you are saying...

Thanks for the replies, pics and more to come in a new thread
'91 KDX 250 D1
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Your biggest issue with the KDX250 is going to be parts availability. Some stuff interchanged with the E series 200, but engine parts will be tough
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 06:15 pm Mar 01 2020 Your biggest issue with the KDX250 is going to be parts availability. Some stuff interchanged with the E series 200, but engine parts will be tough
Yeah this is part of what I meant.. maybe wanna find a donor bike first. Haven’t seen a lot of kdx250s
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining and participating. Reading is free. Buying parts you don't need or that won't work is expensive. Read, read, read.

Here's the best advice I can give you. Buy the service manual for your bike. The 1989 - 1994 KDX200 manual is the base manual, then the KDX250 has a supplement manual as well.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
PacificNWRider

Post by PacificNWRider »

What is this strange thing you call a manual? :hmm:

Wait a minute, I have to buy 2 of them? does the second manual give advice how to save your marriage after rebuilding one of these?

Im realizing what you are saying about the parts. I am pretty sure you haven't seen any KDX's around because the bike seems to be worth about $43,000.00 used on ebay, if you sell the parts separately.

Knowing I should probably just bend over and admit defeat right now.... I have a keen 6th sense of knowing when I am bout to have my ass handed to me. :boogie:
'91 KDX 250 D1
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

PacificNWRider wrote: 03:38 pm Mar 02 2020 What is this strange thing you call a manual? :hmm:
http://www.kdxgarage.com/kdxmanualinformation.html
PacificNWRider wrote: 03:38 pm Mar 02 2020Wait a minute, I have to buy 2 of them? does the second manual give advice how to save your marriage after rebuilding one of these?
"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
PacificNWRider wrote: 03:38 pm Mar 02 2020Im realizing what you are saying about the parts. I am pretty sure you haven't seen any KDX's around because the bike seems to be worth about $43,000.00 used on ebay, if you sell the parts separately.
Sadly, people know that buying one cheap like yours, then parting them out is a way to make money. Many have been parted out instead of rebuilt.

There are a few for sale in my area. I have bought several over the years that were parts bikes. I call them my forever projects. It may take forever before I get them rebuilt or decide to just give up and part it out.
PacificNWRider wrote: 03:38 pm Mar 02 2020Knowing I should probably just bend over and admit defeat right now.... I have a keen 6th sense of knowing when I am bout to have my ass handed to me. :boogie:
What is your budget? If you want an opinion on what lies ahead, let us know your expectations.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 04:02 pm Mar 02 2020
Sadly, people know that buying one cheap like yours, then parting them out is a way to make money. Many have been parted out instead of rebuilt.
I’m okay with it as long as it’s not a good running, salvageable bike. A guy told me once he used to buy bikes off the lot brand new and part them out to make money. That’s kinda gross to me. I guess he can undercut OEM and help guys get their bikes fixed cheaper... but :vom:
I like turtles