New to forum - Just bought an 01 KDX220R in Seattle

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Ollie63

New to forum - Just bought an 01 KDX220R in Seattle

Post by Ollie63 »

Hey everybody,

I have only owned the new-to-me KDX for about a couple months now. My work is seasonal so I was getting antsy sitting around the house during the winter, like many guys... I had recently bought a ski pass to a nearby ski resort as a Christmas present but wasn't feeling very full filled by it, as there was barely any snow for the season yet. So I hopped online searching for the perfect dirt bike for me.

It had been about 4 years since I rode anything, and the last bike I (unsuccessfully) rode was a CRF450R, raced it and tried trails, but the bike was always too much for me. I'm 130lbs and quite lean. I still have a hard time picking a heavy 4stroke up off the ground after spilling it.

Any who, I have always had the deepest appreciation for all-things-dirt-bikes, with countless memories riding with the dad and bros. Tight single track woods in the pacific northwest, open riding in the Oregon sand dunes, motocross race track, you name it. There's no better place than being on a bike for me. Yet, I never had a truly suitable bike for me. Always budget-buyers. Pit bikes, KTM 85's (way too small), or 450's (way too big!)

In my winter boredum as I search for bikes, I stumble upon KDX's. Never heard of one in my entire life! But, it's like destiny or something. The minute I saw it I knew it was for me. The love of my dirt bike life! 😁

I am so happy to have encountered this motorcycle and this awesome, unique, supportive following of riders! It's really the best thing ever. So thanks a billion to all of you.
I have read and studied up for countless hours and now it's time to get into action. I could really use some help....

I've never been a wrencher. Always taught to ride it till it died and get a new one. Why waste time fixing it? Except now I have a reason to, since this will the be the bike I keep forever. It's perfect for me! Does all the terrain: nimble and agile in tight woods, with low end for technical riding, yet all the high end needed to rip on the flats or in the sand even without a paddle.

I took it for a few spins, and soon noticed everything wrong with the poor bike that I didn't notice while buying it on a whim on a freezing pitch black night. Impulsive, but still happy to have this baby, no matter the work required.

Black sludge all over the bottom area of the engine and frame, never seen it before. Caked brown mud stains on every inch of the bike, even up to the tops of the radiators and inside of headlight plate. Airbox was just saddening
.. Like clay. And the air filter a chocolate cake.

The young dude (I'm young too but careful, not careless) who owned it prior seriously must have dumped it in a lake while mid bogging, cleaned out the internals so it could at least run, and got rid of it in a whirlwind on Craigslist. He apparently owned it for a year after buying from the original owner. And obviously rode it as hard as possible with absolutely no maintenance...

I was pissed after it consistently leaked fuel all over my garage while parked, so I pinpointed it at the carb and tore the entire thing apart. One thing leads to another....

So the carb float bowl overflow stem was broken completely, so I drilled it out and epoxied it back in and now it holds fuel fine. Hopefully it's not gonna give issues with unnecessary draining since it's placed an 1/8th inch lower than originally. New gasket so it won't leak from the bowl itself finally. New hoses and clean attachments so no hose leaks either. Yay.

Now the engine is all clean. It sucked. It was hard enough figuring out how to tear the entire bike apart and remove the engine, not having any dirt bike maintenance background, but cleaning all the sludge in every nook and cranny? All the engine gaskets seem perfectly fine, so I'm inclined to think the sludge accumulated from a slow but constant leak from the countershaft/front sprocket or shift Lever. Read a few really helpful threads here on replacing those innerds...

Other than a bunch of small annoying tidbits to fix and replace, the rest of the bike is solid. Great wheels and newer tires, suspension seems intact but maybe I could learn to rebuild it later on.... Brakes were great. I accidently hit the rear brake lever when removing the swingarm bolt and had to open up the brake caliper to reset the caliper piston, since the wheel was already apart by then. All bearings and seals in suspension, swingarm and linkage seem in awesome shape, although I should really grease all the bolts when reassembling.

TWO THINGS I COULD REALLY USE YOUR ADVICE ON! :
1. Anything I'm missing that I should quickly consider inspecting while the bike is apart? I'm trying to be as thorough as possible, but I definitely don't wanna tear open the engine since it ran so beautifully before anyway. I just wanna get to the bottom of the sludge problem, fix the fuel leak, and get back out putting some hours on the bike so that I can love my bike instead of hating it from all the garage time!

2. I really want this bike to be a dual sport. The final and most important factor of this bike being perfect for me is that it can be converted so easily into a street legal dual sport. Here is my situation: cheap is the priority, but I also want convenience. Tusk kit looks cheaper than Baja, but any advice between the two kits? I also would love to use the stock head and tail light, is there any way to do this while having a brake/stop light and a high beam function, or is it just way more practical to buy aftermarket head and tail light assemblies? I have read so many forums and threads on this topic but never get the right specific info... Also curious about stator. Bike has really dim oem lights while motor is idling - I think they brightened a bit with throttle but not much.

Other helpful info.... It spooged a ton after my first 32:1 mix with golden spectrum race oil. So tried 40:1 and no spooge, but it seemed to ride different, can't remember how though. Any advice on mixing? Will 40:1 kill the bike? I did repack the muffler now (it was so freaking disgusting before) and inspected the copper rings in the exhaust port the pipe orings which all seemed great.
Also curious about tranny oils. Will 10w-30 hurt instead of 10w-40? I carry tons of 10w-30 for other small engine equipment for my business, so would be nice to use that but would also be willing to treat my kdx with love and get the right stuff.

Thank you so much for reading my lengthy introduction message! Any advice would be appreciated so much. Thank you thank you thank you. Take care!

Oliver :toimonster:
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: New to forum - Just bought an 01 KDX220R in Seattle

Post by kdxsully »

The stock pistons have a reputation for blowing up. Make sure it has been changed.
I like turtles
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Welcome to the land of KDX. Yes, they are fun bikes and with normal maintenance the bike will give you a lot of trouble free hours. Check the bearings on the swing arm and the rocker arm for the rear shock. As mentioned the piston on the 220 needs to be changed out with a more reliable one such as the Wiseco. I use good synthetic mix and run 40:1 on my '04 220 without worry. As for the tranny, I use the 10w40, but I also live in South Texas and ride mainly in Central and West Texas. I try and change the oil after about 10 hours of riding. Since you're in the Great North West, I can't see how running 10w30 would hurt. Try it, drain it and see how it looks. Also, see if the 10w30 effects the shifting. You probably already know to stay away from oil with friction modifiers. Some folks even use ATF fluid. Yes, you can make the bike street legal.

There are many threads and youtube videos on just about anything you are want to do. I'd also suggest getting a good service manual, one that you can actually hold in your hand.

Seasonal work in the Great North West. Hmmm, lumberjack or smoke jumper? I went through that area in '74 after HS. Drove a '67 VW Van from TX. Spent about 2 weeks in WA and OR during the month of Sept. Went to the World's Fair in Spokane, surfed Coos Bay and then headed South on Hwy 1 to Northern and Central CA. Beautiful area!

Good luck on your 220.
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Concerning #1:
-Piston as mentioned.
-You can use any oil ratio you like, but you MUST jet your carb to that ratio/octane. Change the ratio or octane (or any on the intake/exhasut components) and you will need to rejet for best performance. It sounds scarier than it is.
-New Filter
-New Plug

As for #2:
In WA it's pretty easy to get your bike dual licensced, just requires having a dealer fill out the form and inspect your equipment installation, pay them, take the form to the DMV, pay them, get a plate. Keep in mind that in our state off-road vehicles still HAVE to get an ORV sticker along with the tabs for your plate. That way you get to pay them 2 more times smh...

-Rewind your stator (or buy a Ricky Stators aftermarket) to get enough juice to run headlight/turn signals/ brake light/horn. The small lithium battery will fit under the seat. You can't reuse the stock headlight or taillight, they are not DOT compliant. You wouldn't want to anyway, stock headlight is dim at best. If you do the work yourself you can do the whole thing for around $300-400 (that includes the inspection fee/registration).

All that said, keep in mind that the best riding here in the PNW is in the summer. This time of year it's rideable, but you WILL be wet and or cold, and your selection of riding areas is limited. Come spring time everything starts opening up as the snow melts. And I always recommend that everyone attand at least one Desert 100 event. It is one of the largest off-road events in the country, Poker runs on Saturday, 1500+ racers on Sunday on an old school Lemans style dead engine start from a mile long starting line. Check it out on youtube, it's worth the trip.

Oh Yeah, congrats on the bike and welcome to the forums!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How's the air filter? That is a critical component.

Also, check the swingarm, steering and linkage bearings.

Congratulations on the KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128