NEW IN NEW ENGLAND

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Bmac

NEW IN NEW ENGLAND

Post by Bmac »

Hello,
Let me just start by saying this forum is amazing. Five weeks in and have learned so much from this site.
I had my first KDX IN 1984 and after more than a 30 year hiatus decided to jump back in and picked up
a 1998 KDX220R. Decided to do the top end and upon disassembly discovered that the PO has welded the
gear to the shaft,comp-govenor. I have searched a ton and can not find Kawasaki part #16085 available
any where. All sites say that it is discontinued and not shipping. I believe I can grind the old one off and
salvage it but would much rather just buy all new parts . I imagine if anyone can help me, here is where
I will find them. Thank You in advance for any and all help.

PS I do realize the PO must not have known that the threads were reversed and left handed thus he stripped
the arm and then welded the piece on to make it work.
Diagram.gif
Diagram.gif (92.22 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
WELD.png
WELD.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: NEW IN NEW ENGLAND

Post by KDXGarage »

"I don't need a manual", said the previous owner.

Good luck on the search I wish they still made them.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

OUCH! I never liked flux core wire feed welding because it looked like that. However, it works good in certain situations, like high wind.

If you don't find a new one. That part can be cleaned up & TIG welded easy enough. Then drill the hole.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Ebay and you may get lucky and find a donor motor cheap, but doubtful you'll find a new or NOS unit. If it's lined up correctly and was working prior to disassembly, there is no reason you couldn't use it the way it is, you just won't be able to remove the pawl which may make reassembly a bit more challenging.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Sorry to see that. I would be concerned that the pin on the 13236 is bent or broken off. That can happen when someone doesn’t support the shaft during dissembly/assembly. Imagine how hard the guy was cranking on that to break it off.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Someone on eBay is selling two engine covers that have the shaft. It’s worth a private message to ask if they’ll sell that part separately. Both of them look to be missing the 13236 I mentioned above. That seller seems to always have misc KDX parts. Maybe they’ve got a shaft layng around.
EB880D43-9B4D-4591-A1B3-53A5F416EAD0.png
EB880D43-9B4D-4591-A1B3-53A5F416EAD0.png (695.04 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to member John_S who not only took the time to respond to my questions but also went out of his way to look up and find the part I was asking about. Not only did he find it, but it was not even in the description of what I was looking for. It was hanging off the back of an engine cover on ebay. So on his advice I private message the seller who turns out to own an amazing dirt bike shop
in Lake Havasu, AZ. Ty Nexsen of Nexsen Motor Sports gladly removes the pawl and entire exhaust governor and sells it to me for $50 with shipping included. A very short 10 days after my initial post and I am back in business. I am so excited to have this new to me machine so dialed in by October. There will be trail riding in New Hampshire just in time for the Fall and the changing of the leaves to New England Orange. I absolutely love this forum. I have learned so much just reading all the different sections and posts over the last six weeks. The wealth of information here is astounding. The founding fathers should be very proud. -Billy

PS Ty of Nexsen Motor Sports gave me a heads up on a 2000 KDX220R he will be parting out in a few weeks. If any one is looking for parts
this is a great shop with very good pricing and an even better owner. He answers emails immediately.
Attachments
KDX ARM.jpg
KDX ARM.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on finding the part!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Nice, that's a bike shop that knows how to take care of customers, rare these days. Congrats on getting it back up and running.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

i didn't see this earlier. That's excellent that he took that off the cover and got you fixed up. Great news!