New to KDX Colorado 2001 KDX 220r

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
keith220

New to KDX Colorado 2001 KDX 220r

Post by keith220 »

Keith In colorado springs I sold my KTM 300 (needed cash) and bought a clean 2001 KDX 220r, stock exhaust, geared it to 13/50, jetted (though I want to send carb and head to Fredette soon) buying this week FMF gnarly desert and silencer, put bar risers on (to make easy to stand) , New gold x ring chain, new seat cover, Uni air filter, new Plug, new oil, tires are good but will be putting a Tusk Hybrid rear tire on after this one wears out, Bike starts first kick, and idles but doesnt idle great or run great, I need carb moded, But Im excited to put pipes on.
I ride Colorado single track 8000ft to 9000ft elevation , run Amsoil dominator 50:1 ethanol free,
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New to KDX Colorado 2001 KDX 220r

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

What! wait a minute... you went from orange to green? Well, you won't regret it. I've never owned a KTM, but have seen plenty of them around. That green bike is and should be a lot easier (and cheaper) to work on. Especially after you get used to it. Your gearing was similar to what I had on my 2006 when I was in MS. I had a 12/49 with gnarly woods and power core 2. It was a great woods bike. Now, I recently picked up 2003 KDX220r and will be bringing it "up to snuff" by late September.

Welcome to the site Keith and don't let those KTM boys get to you. After all, just look at the results in the 250 and 450 class of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro MX series. That's right, GREEN!
NEVER FORGET!
keith220

Post by keith220 »

If my cylinder is a lighter silver , meaning its new or updated since the original is it safe to assume that the piston is at least good for now? meaning a new cylinder should not have the original piston in it right?
keith220

Post by keith220 »

at first i just sold KTM to gain some cash but then I realized how much I dont like following the "crowd" and being like ALL the orange bikes on trail, I like being differnt and this bike so far (even without many mods) has followed some Gnarly riders on their betas up some tight techy single track. This bike is very capable and Im stoked to make it a single track machine sleeper that turn some heads. and Yes its sooo easy to work on, Im not a mechanic but can easily perform task on this bike due to the simplicity., Any advice on getting the KIPS cleaned out? what are the signs that it needs to be cleaned? Does running sea foam thru a few tanks help clean power valves??
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

keith220 wrote: 01:40 pm Aug 26 2019 If my cylinder is a lighter silver , meaning its new or updated since the original is it safe to assume that the piston is at least good for now? meaning a new cylinder should not have the original piston in it right?
Are you sure it is a new cylinder?
keith220

Post by keith220 »

No, Im assuming since the metal is lighter than the rest of the case, That usually means its an updated since stock. But I guess I shouldnt assume?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a pic? instructions in my signature
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Could be that the PO cleaned up the cylinder with a media blast or something, the only way to tell the condition of the bore and piston is to take a look at it. You can get a partial by pulling the pipe off and looking in through the exhaust port. It's a 220R so I wouldn't assume it has a new top end, the OEM pistons are a time bomb you don't want to juggle.
Your rough idle most likely can be cleaned up by a good carb cleaning (don't dip) and jetting.

Welcome to the green side of the trail!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Welcome to the best single track bike and to the best support website!
keith220

Post by keith220 »

Im riding this weekend, Putting FMF gnarly desert pipe and silencer on for the weekend, I take some pics and then post after trip.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Where are you riding? We’re going up to Badger Mtn for the weekend.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Vossman wrote: 09:52 pm Aug 28 2019 Where are you riding? We’re going up to Badger Mtn for the weekend.
We were camped at Tarryall over the weekend and rode up to the gate on Badger mountain, as well China Wall and a bunch of other places. Too bad we can't go all the way to the cell towers anymore. The KDX did awesome and I'm loving it more each time I ride it.

Maybe a group of us from the Springs can get a ride in before the white stuff starts showing up?

Keith - congrats on going "green". I was so set on a Beta 300rr for the last few years, but instead picked up a KDX back in March, and I'm super happy.

Todd
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

We were up there too. Camped on 223 and rode around there and over near Box Canyon I think it’s called. We do need to do a KDX ride. I’m free most weekends for a day. Thoughts?
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Vossman wrote: 04:12 pm Sep 05 2019 We were up there too. Camped on 223 and rode around there and over near Box Canyon I think it’s called. We do need to do a KDX ride. I’m free most weekends for a day. Thoughts?
Possibly next weekend? We can PM/text so we're not hijacking Keith's intro thread. :wink:
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

Vossman wrote: 09:52 pm Aug 28 2019 Where are you riding? We’re going up to Badger Mtn for the weekend.
DIVIDE has a lot of hidden single track that I default to ride a lot, then If I have time, we ride Salida-Monarch stuff, But I will mainly go ride divide single track, TONS of trails that I met some old timer legends and they showed me miles of single track off the atv trails that most dont even know exist , come ride this season and Ill show ya
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

GATOROC wrote: 01:03 pm Sep 05 2019
We were camped at Tarryall over the weekend and rode up to the gate on Badger mountain, as well China Wall and a bunch of other places. Too bad we can't go all the way to the cell towers anymore. The KDX did awesome and I'm loving it more each time I ride it.

Maybe a group of us from the Springs can get a ride in before the white stuff starts showing up?

Keith - congrats on going "green". I was so set on a Beta 300rr for the last few years, but instead picked up a KDX back in March, and I'm super happy.

Todd
same here, I had a BETA 300, KTM 2009 200, Honda 250x and now the KDX and Im riding better, faster and can go farther following my BETA 300 friends all over single track
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

Once time change happens and warm gets here, we start up a Wed after work ride starting in Divide at main parking lot (trail 357) Ill can help you find if you dont know and we all voet single track or quad track and ride big loops, every wed after work, also we ride ALOT of divide when we only have a day or so, then weekends are for gunnison (sick single track) saquache (sargents stuff), and my old timer rippers tell me there is hidden single track that starts woodland park and goes all the way to sadila (rampart range) but single track hidden not the quad trail, we also like to hit up DAKAN road right north of palmer lake, its very mellow and fun singel track to T's into rampart very cool ride
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Sounds good! I've done a decent amount of riding in the Divide area (mostly 717) and really like it, but I would love to ride with others more familiar and be able to explore some additional trails there. I finally got to ride Sargents this past summer and enjoyed it. Taylor Park has some good single track as well and is absolutely beautiful, but I typically only get up there once every few years if I'm lucky.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200