I'm back in a KDX saddle again

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
BlkDakDave

I'm back in a KDX saddle again

Post by BlkDakDave »

This could be a long story, but I'll try to keep it short on my KDX history. My first KDX was a 200 that was bone stock when I bought it and I kept it that way (picture 1). When my youngest son turned 16, he became more interested in girls than riding. With that, I sold the KDX and a KX250F and bought a KLX250 (which I later bored to a 331) to add to the KLR650 that I already had. About 3 years later I took a 2 year assignment in MS. Once there and discovered all the opportunities for "woods riding" I knew I had to get another KDX. I found a 2006 that wasn't abused, but needed some work (picture 2). Working out of a rented storage unit (picture 3) I put new life into that bike and had loads of fun riding at the local club (picture 4). When my assignment was up and it was time for me to move back to Texas. Packing my belongings and bikes into a U-haul, I discovered that I had one bike to many. They just wouldn't all fit. So, I had to make a regretful decision of selling the KDX. Now several years later and retired, I went up north of Dallas TX to help my oldest son get settled in to his new home. While there I started looking a places for us to ride and at Craigslist for a KDX. Low and behold, I found a 2004 KDX220, again that wasn't abused, but will need some work (picture 5). So, I now have a another KDX and a project to get it looking good. My goal is to have the 2004 look simular to the 2006. Once it's done I promise to keep this one!
2000 KDX200.JPG
2000 KDX200.JPG (730.91 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
2006 KDX200.jpg
2006 KDX200.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3033 times
2006 KDX apart (2) (1024x768).jpg
2006 KDX apart (2) (1024x768).jpg (596.5 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
2006 KDX  rebuilt.jpg
2006 KDX rebuilt.jpg (339.36 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
2004 KDX220.jpg
2004 KDX220.jpg (258.47 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

By the way, the KDX220 is sitting in my son's garage near Pilot Point, TX with his bikes. I wasn't really prepared to buy and transport a bike when I went up there.
NEVER FORGET!
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I'm back in a KDX saddle again

Post by John_S »

Great story and glad to see you got yourself another one.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome back to the fold! Clean looking 04.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Welcome back to the KDX family!
I like turtles
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

John_S wrote: 01:59 pm Aug 07 2019 Great story and glad to see you got yourself another one.
Thanks, I tried to keep it short. I'm glad as well. When I checked into places to ride near my son's new house, I knew I had to get me a fun dirt bike to ride. Now I need to get it home and tell the wife that I bought yet another bike.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

bufftester wrote: 03:15 pm Aug 07 2019 Welcome back to the fold! Clean looking 04.
Thanks, good to be back. Yeah, it wasn't in too bad of shape. The headlamp shroud it toast, it missing a few bolts and needs new tires. I figure I'll replace the chain, counter and rear sprockets too. It has an new Wiseco piston (10 hours) and it already has a FMF gnarly pipe and the powercore 2 silencer, so that will save me some dinero. Hoping to get it looking simular to the 2006 KDX 200. Thanks again!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

kdxsully wrote: 03:46 pm Aug 07 2019 Welcome back to the KDX family!
Thanks! Finally got me another one. We have one of those google home hub things in our kitchen that will scroll pretty much every picture you've ever taken with your phone(s). Everytime a picture of the 2006 KDX would pop up I'd literally say out loud, "I wish I still had that bike." I'm sure whenever they pop back up I'll still say or think that, but now it won't hurt as much.
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome back to having a KDX! That looks like another one not needing a ton of work.

On the headlight, check out:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Sq ... -Light.asp
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:14 am Aug 08 2019 Welcome back to having a KDX! That looks like another one not needing a ton of work.

Appreciate that. I'm not expecting a lot of work. Going to work on a few the necessities first along with some 4 ought steel wool.

I checked out the baja lighting. Gonna have to put that on my wish list for now.

I sent you an email last evening about my account. Not sure if you've seen that.
NEVER FORGET!
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Cool story. Good luck with the bike!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:18 am Aug 08 2019 Cool story. Good luck with the bike!
muchas gracias amigo. Looking forward to the project, but not working in my garage where the afternoon temps get up to 95 and that's in the garage. I'm not going to even mention the humidity.
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

BlkDakDave wrote: 08:36 am Aug 08 2019
KDXGarage wrote: 01:14 am Aug 08 2019 Welcome back to having a KDX! That looks like another one not needing a ton of work.

Appreciate that. I'm not expecting a lot of work. Going to work on a few the necessities first along with some 4 ought steel wool.

I checked out the baja lighting. Gonna have to put that on my wish list for now.

I sent you an email last evening about my account. Not sure if you've seen that.
The site had a major upgrade a few months ago. The Gallery did not make the transition.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
FLBoyKDX220

Post by FLBoyKDX220 »

Great story, fun times. There are many 2, 3 & 4 wheel toys I wish I had from my past.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

FLBoyKDX220 wrote: 07:53 pm Aug 10 2019 Great story, fun times. There are many 2, 3 & 4 wheel toys I wish I had from my past.
No kidding about past toys. Looking back when I was in HS, our parking area was full of future classic cars. We just didn't know it at the time.
NEVER FORGET!
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Cool story. It took a couple KDXs for me to realize how much I enjoyed riding them. Now I have 2 and won't be letting them slip away anytime soon or at all for that matter. Your "new" 04 looks very clean for a 16 year old bike. Enjoy!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200