Needing some advice

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
‘93KDXproject

Needing some advice

Post by ‘93KDXproject »

Hey all,
I am the proud recipient of a left for dead ‘93 kdx 200. Long time fan of the bike as it was my first “big bike” back in the 90s when I moved from racing a kx 80 (hare scrambles) - so when I saw the chance to own one again I jumped at it. I currently ride woods and mx and race enduros on a yz 450fx in as many of the NEPG rounds as I can get myself too, and am located in central NC.

My question lies with carburetor, reeds, intake. When I recurved the bike everything is missing from the intake back. What would you guys suggest, should I just get whatever’s cheap or go vforce? Stock carb off EBay vs airstriker?

Bike has spark and compression, but I may very well be rebuilding from the ground (cases) up because it has sat with no intake for (?) I don’t know how long. I just want to bolt a carb and intake up to she if she’ll run first. The rest of the bike is all stock and the seat is t even ripped. It’s like it was loved and taken care of then went to a shop and was picked up by someone not wanting to pay bill or something. Anyways kudos on this site and I hope to make some kdx acquaintances along the way with this build back to life project.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Needing some advice

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Congratulations on the KDX as well as racing out in the woods!

Any chance you could find someone at the races that also has a KDX to loan you a carb and reed cage just to see if it will run?

You might want to keep an eye on craigslist for a parts bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Needing some advice

Post by bufftester »

How long did it sit with the intake open, and in what climate (indoor/outdoor). Did it still have transmission oil in the bottom end? If you take the exhaust off and take a peek in the cylinder see if there are any signs of corrosion on the rings. At the very least I would check compression and do a leak down to gauge the general condition of the motor. As for parts, an OEM is fine, an airstriker is good, and the cost difference between the two new is not much. If looking at used carbs stay away from the clones, they will never work right...I have been down that path along with many others on this forum and it always ends up in buying a genuine Keihin. IIWM I'd look for a used carb, and a used intake block/reed cage just to get the bike running, unless you just like to spend money :-) Also make sure the air filter box has nothing missing, or living in it lol.