accidentally acquired a kdx... now what?

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
zedicus

accidentally acquired a kdx... now what?

Post by zedicus »

IMG_20190429_193626.jpg
IMG_20190429_193626.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 2884 times
IMG_20190429_193609.jpg
IMG_20190429_193609.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2884 times
Through a series of trades i ended up with a couple of thrashed dirtbikes. The pw50 i knew a thing or two about fixing up. It only needs a top end, forks, oil injection pump fixed or deleted, tires, plastics, and carb rebuilt. The kdx though, i did not realize it was such a rare bird when i accepted it. It is in fair condition and needs a top end and a good cleaning to be usable. Now i am not really a dirt bike guy and i was hoping to fix it up a little and quick sale it. Seeing it is what it is i may change that goal and do a more thorough fixing and then list it on ebay or something with a wider market. Locally there is no market for a kdx other than being an old dirtbike with a max running condition value of about 500$. The pw50 is probably going to have a higher resale locally. Anyway, what is a kdx175 in good condition worth on the market? And would it be worth my time to do a restore, or is top end and a good al around tune up make it a fair valued dirt bike?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: accidentally acquired a kdx... now what?

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Look on craigslist to try to see what others are asking for similar models.

Look on eBay for a owner/service manual. When you get tired of working on it, the next guy might be more into actually doing all such a bike needs.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

well there are no 'similar models' for sale that i can find. there has only been 3 KDX200's sold on ebay this year, and 0 175's. there is 1 KDX175 listed on all of craigslist that i have found and it is non-running listed for 1000$. i have no comparisons to know if that is a good ask or not.

i thought i would seek the forums professional guidance?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It is not rare.

It is not highly desired (popular).

Old dirt bikes in general are hard to find parts for. It looks like a 1980 model, which makes it 39 years old.

"Now i am not really a dirt bike guy and i was hoping to fix it up a little and quick sale it."

Sorry to seem short, but I have seen guys like you several times on the internet. It usually comes off to me as "Please spend your time and energy for free to help "ME" make some money off this dirt bike". :grin:
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

no worries, i get that a lot.

and while there is some truth to it i do my best to acquire junk that no one wants, fix it up in a way that actually has quality workmanship to it, and sell it to someone that actually does want it. my profit margins are lower sure, but over the years i got sick of seeing things get parted out that shouldn't have been. i can bore and hone a sleeve in my garage, i can strip a dirtbike or atv to the frame, fix the needed issues, and have it out the door in a weekend. the people that have seen my work have came back and said something i do that i consider an 'alternative fix' is higher quality work than the ATV shops do with OEM parts here in town.

out of curiosity, did you happen to notice any of the other things in my garage? the newest thing in there is an Aprilia Falco from 2001. i have been saving things from the scrap yard and will continue to do so, the KDX line seems to have a following, i ALWAYS look up people in the know when i come across something that seems to stick out a little.

so i will continue on with plan A, new top end, new seat cover, fix the plastics, deep clean, ride it past break in, and off to a new home. thanks for the input.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX's came stock with a plated / coated cylinder. No boring, no honing.

Don't be afraid to just keep it and ride it. You might like it. :-)
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

thanks for the tip.
the thought crossed my mind, i will mention the previous pic with the garage full of "junk" in the wife's words. and that if i prefer sleeping in the house as apposed to said garage, i should probably not acquire any more permanent fixtures. i am sure it will need several 'test and tune' trips before it does find a new home, though.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"junk" - translation - "golden treasures" :grin:

Get or make some shelves, trick her into thinking there is less junk instead of just more floor space. :grin:
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

It is all junk until i have the random fitting or odd thing she needs for her current craft project or room remodel.

Soooo, i started on the pw50 thinking it would go quick. A list of what is wrong would be way longer than a list of what isnt wrong. I just removed a brass plumbing nipple from the crank shaft. It was holding the flywheel on. The woodruff key is mangled because it was not aligned to the slot in the flywheel when it was installed. The forks are siezed solid. So technically my wife is correct, 90% of people look at something and see trash, all i see is '24 hours of solid work and a fair amount of money and that rolling scrap metal i drug home will be totally fine'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh wow! Some previous owner left you some presents. Good luck it for sure!!
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

You and me both! The 1980 KDX freebie bug has been going around....I caught it as well. Parts are scarce but not impossible to find.
“But to tear down a factory or to revolt against a government or to avoid repair of a motorcycle because it is a system is to attack effects rather than causes" Robert M Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

:rock: :boogie:
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:55 pm Apr 30 2019 "junk" - translation - "golden treasures" :grin:

Get or make some shelves, trick her into thinking there is less junk instead of just more floor space. :grin:
It works so much that wife was helping me install our shelves and now there is floor apace.
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

I need to put wall board up and then shelves, probably some cheap splinter board and not sheetrock. I have a large loft space above that will get some shelves too but it needs reinforced, my house was renovated by an idiot, same said idiot built the garage. I have seen people spend more money doing it wrong several times but i am a believer in right once.

Anyway i should be done with the pw next week. I kinda got a little carried away with my 'i will just clean up the ports a little' i probably accidentally doubled the horse power. Pics of it soon then i will start on the kdx.