Howdy From Oregon

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
5w30

Howdy From Oregon

Post by 5w30 »

My first dirt bike was an '85 KDX200 when I lived on Oahu while serving. I don't think I knew what maintenance was at the time, I rode the crap out of that bike but thinking about it now I don't ever recall even looking at the air filter let alone any fluid changes etc. Though it makes me cringe to think about my neglect now that bike just kept on ticking and serving me well. Its demise came when a soldier turned in front of an auto at dusk and ended up losing his leg over the ordeal, bu I digress. As most of you know there is something inherently fun about the character of the KDX. Now days and after 20 years of steady riding I'm on the latest cutting edge machines but I got a hankering to get a KDX as a backyard/buddy bike and for a bit of nostalgia. The first one I bought is a 2001 in the background. Picked it up for $1100 as a solid buy on a mostly complete and well accessorized bike but it aint no mint. Started thinking it would be nice to have a cleaner original one where maybe the graphics survived etc.. So then I found the one in the foreground, also a 2001, with the original tires on it and entirely complete and original besides the PC exhaust. I knew I had to act fast at the asking price of $2000 so I took some time off work and drove 200 miles round trip that day. I was at the seller's house for maybe 10 minutes. He accepted my $1900 so I loaded it up and took off. My plans now are maybe to keep both of them, the first one to fill my original role of backyard/buddy bike, this new one though is feeling a little too nice to go beat up. These are sorta cult bikes and to me the collectibility is ever growing. That's not to say I only want to look at it. This one happens to have a plate number on the title and despite my Oregon residence (notoriously difficult to get a plate for a dirt bike here) I'm hopeful I can wiggle through and make it street legal. That would be a good way to get use out of it without trashing the graphics/plastics etc.. Being near Portland I'm close to Ron Black also known as RB Designs. I was sorely let down to go to his site and see that he has semi-retired, I'm really hoping I can persuade him to do the head and carb on it. He's done the squish on all my 2t bikes and all I can say is there is going to be a big void with him hanging it up. Anyway I have a few other plans for it, stiffer springs, Guts tall seat, a few little deals like that (oh I wouldn't mind fixing those paint scuffs on the swingarm, the only detractor there is on the machine, anyone have the paint code?). Anyway that's my story. Glad to now be a member here and thanks to the forum and its members for the resource.
IMG_2740.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG (579.86 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Howdy From Oregon

Post by oldmxer95 »

Welcome, That is a pretty good looking 2001. Are you the solder that turned in front of the car? If so, I too am a one legged rider. Happened in 93 racing Jet Ski's at Longview, WA.
95 KDX 200H, 98 KX250-K5, 84 KX125-C1(Project), 21 Husqvarna FX350
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Welcome to the forum! That is one beautiful looking KDX! Great pickup at that price as well.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
5w30

Post by 5w30 »

Thanks guys. No, that soldier i recently learned pulled the plug on himself. Sad. I suspect that he never really emerged from the depression. Drugs were a factor. ... hey wait a minute this is a DB forum..

Way to ride through your accident! You didn't choose the easiest pass time for the condition. Nothing admirable about easy. How is your speed on the bike?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. That is a very nice looking KDX.

oldmxer95, I am sorry to hear your story. Congratulations on keeping going.

Look at colorrite.com for silver 35. I don't know any codes to go to a local paint store.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawas ... 98fbf0e88f
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by oldmxer95 »

Not to worry, I just look at it like another challenge in life and you have to keep doing what you enjoy.
95 KDX 200H, 98 KX250-K5, 84 KX125-C1(Project), 21 Husqvarna FX350
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:
rowyco

Post by rowyco »

I live in Oregon too and I was able to get a plate for my 98 KDX. DMV didn't need to look at the bike, they gave me a plate right away since my title looked exactly like yours. I think it's worth taking the title to DMV to see if they will do it for you. Me and my buddy both have plated KDX's here.