First Hare Scramble - KDX 200 - VCHSS @ CVTR

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

First Hare Scramble - KDX 200 - VCHSS @ CVTR

Post by MoonStomper »

Finally made it to my first hare scramble, went to the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series race near Charlotte Court House, Virginia this past weekend. They did a doubleheader weekend and we chose to do the Sunday race. Fortunately with all the rain we've had our course was fresh (not the Saturday course!) and the conditions were improved from Saturday's mudfest. My son has raced once before at one of their events closer to home so I had a pretty good idea how things would work. We also had some friends racing and their shared experiences really helped us prepare.

We drove down the evening before and set up our tent in a very damp field in the dark away from most of the generators. Glad I packed my ear plugs because those blasted things ran all night. That morning we awoke to a heavy fog.
cvtr5.jpg
cvtr5.jpg (258.53 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
Having been racing mountain bikes (XC, Marathon, & Enduro) for twenty plus years I was excited for this new two-wheeled challenge. I signed up for the 50+ C and was happy to be starting behind my 15 YO son lined up a few rows ahead in the 200C on his '08 KTM 144SX.
cvtr4.jpg
cvtr4.jpg (426.22 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
My plan was to start in the back and stay out of the rush at the start, but try and do a race start from the outside of the line. I figured this would give me a chance to gain some experience and not cause a wreck. My race start was a fail however because when the flag dropped, my bike didn't fire. My fault - I'd forgotten to hold the clutch lever in after shutting down in gear! She fired up on third try though and away I went! I actually caught the tail end of the field at the first corner and passed two guys by the 2nd corner and another going into the woods.

After I got into the woods I just tried to stay smooth and relaxed. I found that 2nd and 3rd gear worked well with the rolling terrain and tight wooded trail. There were some steep rutted and wet climbs in places, but the KDX shot up them like a rocket passing a lot of folks stuck on the side. This bike really likes to race and I found myself getting into a good flow.
cvtr1.jpg
cvtr1.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
I immediately learned to scan for the 'B' lines and pick the shortest and straightest option unless there was a faster outer line that carried more speed. I also learned the hard way to look out for deep ruts, especially ones that had a big root going across! After the first lap, I felt pretty good. Standing on the pegs really helped me stay smooth, and the bike felt really good. I was glad to not be riding blind for a change and hoped to turn a better lap with everyone now more spread out. This didn't happen though because I made some more mistakes, including dropping the bike, riding up too close behind someone having trouble on a greasy rutted hill, cracking the throttle on a wet wooden bridge leading up to a sharp climb, and other things too numerous to mention.
cvtr3.jpg
cvtr3.jpg (657.91 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
When I gassed it on the wet bridge I was looking up ahead at the knarly wet hill I was about to climb, I guess I forgot how slick the bridge was. The front end of the bike turned right and up the creek when the back end spun off the end of the bridge. No wreck, but I was tangled up in a heavy sapling and needed to get out of the way of following riders. I managed to keep the motor running - till I didn't, kick starting in this position was awkward and exhausting. I lost some time here getting sorted out again. Thankfully a course worker offered assistance. On another creek crossing I washed my front end just a bit and missed my intended line and dropped the bike. I looked down after picking up the bike and thought I had a stick in my wheel, but it wasn't. I was my odometer cable dis-attached from the stock odometer. Not familiar with how it works, I just secured it back to the upper fork with a zip tie and went on. I've since examined it, nothing damaged, after reassembly everything works, so I decided to just unbolt it and save it for when I might want it on the bike again - probably never! Probably saved my two pounds.

It was actually fun getting lapped by the fast guys, trying to follow them for a bit was educational for the short period of time I could hang on before making a mistake. My son's buddy (our neighbor - his dad races 50+A) in the 200C class lapped me on his way to a 3rd place finish. I'd hoped to make three laps, but took the checkers after two 40+ minute laps - I was actually pretty tired, but felt like I could still do another. I guess that's a good sign, but I just need to make fewer mistakes to earn that third lap. I ended up 9th out of 14? and had a blast. No real damage on the bike, no injuries. Definitely glad I had good knee braces, I know they protected my knee from a hyper-extension at least once on the course. My son finished 11th out 31 and lost his clutch lever perch bolt. That probably cost him some time, but he's now learned to loctite and check his bolts before the race, which he admitted to not doing.
cvtr2.jpg
cvtr2.jpg (510.06 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
Looking forward to the next race at the Rattlesnake, Wytheville Speedway next weekend. I now have my AMA card and ordered some proper number plates. Racing is fun!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: First Hare Scramble - KDX 200 - VCHSS @ CVTR

Post by lucy »

Its always enjoyable to read about another's race experience. You did a great job of narration and, I'm sure many of us can identify with your trevails. With our resident National Enduro champ, doakley, out with an injury, its great to have someone relate experiences.

The photos make it even more enjoyable!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Great write up! Thank you for sharing. Keep at it. When you said you had raced MTV enduros, I thought you would not be a back of the pack guy. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Way to go, and great job on your first HS! It looks like the the conditions were pretty good with nice, tacky dirt. Please keep us posted on your racing adventures!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First Hare Scramble - KDX 200 - followup

Post by MoonStomper »

Race #2 is coming up this weekend - VCHSS Rattlesnake at Wytheville, Virginia Speedway. This race promises to use more of the upper range of your transmission than most VCHSS hare scrambles with a grand stand adorned infield start at the speedway that loops around a bit before spitting us off into the woods onto what looks like wide and fast single track (as seen on YouTube). The wife and family are coming to this one so I hope to keep it upright and have a respectable start.

Last week I took care of some of the minor issues that popped up during the race. The OEM odometer cable had popped off at the head unit during the race (minor crash) and checked okay when reattached back home, but it annoyed me and I really don't need to have it pop off again during a race - so I unbolted everything and pulled the cable from the hub - it just pulls straight out. I capped the hole with Goop to keep mud out of the hub. I've looked around for the Zeta aftermarket wheel spacer, but Zeta no longer makes them - so the stock hub part will remain.

Jeff Fredette recommended using Goop to seal the headlight bezel to the fairing, so I did that too while I had the cap off. One day I'll replace the headlight fairing bolts with his rubber straps - these aren't available on his website, but you can ask for them on the phone. Probably do that this winter when I swap in the Maier MX rear fender he sells. Ultimately, I'd like to plate this bike for legal trail access close to home and when riding out of state. Just save my KDX fender for those times instead of smashing my tail light in the woods doing hare scrambles.

Last weekend we did a couple days riding at Kairos Resort in Glyn Lynn, Virginia riding on some of their A-C level race course tracks with steep, rocky single track and some real flowing but rutted stuff there in the mountains next to West Virginia. I got my race plates done this week so it was fun to mount them up and get the bike looking faster than the rider actually is. COR Moto Graphics https://cormotographics.com/ in North Carolina sponsors the VCHSS and offer a smoking deal for series participants. I worked with Matt and they did a great job, shipped them super fast.
kairos-10-2020.jpg
kairos-10-2020.jpg (526.82 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
Bike ran solid all weekend and I got to ride with my 15 YO son who came out on Sunday to chase me around - chasing him is pretty depressing. Only issues were I noticed some noise up front and spooge splatter on the front fender. This week I removed the OEM pipe, cleaned the head interface and replaced the springs, O-rings and copper gasket and used red RTV sealant. After testing, everything sounded much better and I noticed the bike ran better especially down low. I think this made a huge difference from idle to 1/4 throttle - really sounds more crisp.

Another thing I noticed while cleaning the bike up was gas on the carb. Looked like source was a leaky bowl gasket so I ordered an All Balls carb rebuild kit from Motosport and should have it tomorrow.
KDXcarb-10-2020.jpg
KDXcarb-10-2020.jpg (311.88 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
I've been anxious to drop some fresh jets in since I assume these are still original. Last night I pulled the seat and tank and removed the carb. I'm curious about what the reeds look like while I am in there, but worry that if I screw up something I won't be able to get parts before the race. Maybe I'll check that this winter. The bike usually starts first kick so the reeds should be good to go for now anyway.
KDXcarb-10-2020b.jpg
KDXcarb-10-2020b.jpg (371.27 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
My buddy had low fluid in his KDX's rear brake on Sunday and mentioned how the shield has to come off to reach the master cylinder. So I decided to try and remove my shield and take a look - lower screw came right out - second one stripped. Added a Tusk hammer driver to my RMATV cart for the next order and screws. Those will be anti-seized on installation.

Think I'll pull my kick start lever and clean and lube it tonight - that's something that hasn't been done yet, check under my fork boots, wipe down the stanchions and strip the carb tonight - my rebuild kit won't come till tomorrow so when it does it'll be nice to just drop those parts in with all the dirty work already done. Probably test my mid body gasket tonight like the video shows and see if it's solid. No, I won't be soaking the carb, I don't want to ruin anything.

Hopefully no more stripped screws!

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Hopefully not too much goop in the odo cable hole in the front hub as there are moving parts in there you don't want to bugger up. Nice to see the routine maintenance being done
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Just an FYI on plugging the Odo cable. I got this idea from Vossman and used it on my bike before I swapped over to KX forks, and it worked well. It's a 9/16" Hillman plug that fits perfectly. Here's the thread and a pic below if you're interested - viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23247&p=201915&hil ... an#p201915
Hillman 9-16 Hole Plug 2.jpg
Hillman 9-16 Hole Plug 2.jpg (96.43 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job!
You might want to consider running a front numberplate in races instead of a headlight. Why?

1. headlights are expensive if it finds a tree or rock
2. saves weight
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on switching to an MX style front plate. Save your headlight for when you need it. Keep your brakes serviced well, especially the pins and pads. Surprising how fast they can wear in HS Racing, esp if it is muddy.
Exciting to read about your racing, especially since I’m out now. Ride hard but always in control! You have to finish to win!
Keep on brapping!
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Congrats !! I plan for first race on sunday and already have the butterflies. My odo came off about 3 weeks ago, too. Just kept getting cable issues when I rode anything nasty.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

bufftester wrote: 03:56 pm Oct 07 2020 Hopefully not too much goop in the odo cable hole in the front hub as there are moving parts in there you don't want to bugger up. Nice to see the routine maintenance being done
That's a good point and I actually, I forgot to mention that I carefully inserted the cut off plastic tip from a tube of Permatex RTV into the smaller hole inside the cable housing insert, then applied the Goop over top to seal it in. I was thinking (for a change) !!! The cone shape fit in there nice and snug.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:22 pm Oct 07 2020 Good job!
You might want to consider running a front numberplate in races instead of a headlight. Why?

1. headlights are expensive if it finds a tree or rock
2. saves weight
All good points and I'll probably eventually go that route - I'll probably have to go that way when I decide I'm getting serious. One thing I like about it is it really helps this time of year riding in our deep dark woods, especially with the days getting shorter. Dang bike looks so sexy with it on though, no mistaking it for a KX for sure!

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

GATOROC wrote: 06:03 pm Oct 07 2020 Just an FYI on plugging the Odo cable. I got this idea from Vossman and used it on my bike before I swapped over to KX forks, and it worked well. It's a 9/16" Hillman plug that fits perfectly. Here's the thread and a pic below if you're interested - viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23247&p=201915&hil ... an#p201915

Hillman 9-16 Hole Plug 2.jpg
Thanks! Great solution.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Put the light back on when you are not racing. You didn't have lights and extra water bottles on the enduro MTB course did ya? :-)
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:18 pm Oct 08 2020 Put the light back on when you are not racing. You didn't have lights and extra water bottles on the enduro MTB course did ya? :-)
I plan to swap out fender and fairing next season - definitely on my to do list.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA