Racing the 87 KDX

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
Husky250

Re: Racing the 87 KDX

Post by Husky250 »

SS109 wrote: 01:21 pm Jun 09 2021 Awesome! It's always cool to see an old air cooled KDX still racing!
Thanks my man!
Husky250

Post by Husky250 »

Headed up to Bentley ichigan to race the District 14 Nancy Boy Sprint Enduro on the '87 KDX.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Awesome! I love seeing, and hearing, that bike! :supz: It's funny, you had to pick only one bike and which one did you pick? :mrgreen:

Looked like a super fun course. Yeah, a Maxxis SI or Goldentyre GT216 front would have been much better in the soft conditions. Sucks about the chain guide. I think the Moose and Fredette (one I have) guides are too stiff which can cause what happened to your bike. I really wish someone made a good plastic one, like TM Designworks, for the KDX.

Also, a little tip I learned to get video looking even better, render your 1080 vid out at 1440 and then upload to Youtube. That's what I've been doing with my channel for a while now and you can see the difference viewing in normal 1080. It's better not because of rendering at 1440 but because Youtube gives 1080 vids a lower quality video codec (AVC1 codec) whereas if you upload in 1440 they give you a better one (VP09 codec - less pixelation/graininess). Just a little trick I learned from people more savvy with getting high quality Youtube vids than me!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A long, long time ago, Fredette made somewhat of an L shaped aluminum piece to brace the chain guide mount. It was an L with triangle sides. The instructions stated to drill and tap holes for it, then use red Loctite. Teenage me didn't know what the hell that was, so I never put mine on. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Husky250

Post by Husky250 »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:53 pm Sep 22 2021 A long, long time ago, Fredette made somewhat of an L shaped aluminum piece to brace the chain guide mount. It was an L with triangle sides. The instructions stated to drill and tap holes for it, then use red Loctite. Teenage me didn't know what the hell that was, so I never put mine on. :-)
I'll do some research on that thx!
Husky250

Post by Husky250 »

SS109 wrote: 04:48 pm Sep 22 2021 Awesome! I love seeing, and hearing, that bike! :supz: It's funny, you had to pick only one bike and which one did you pick? :mrgreen:

Looked like a super fun course. Yeah, a Maxxis SI or Goldentyre GT216 front would have been much better in the soft conditions. Sucks about the chain guide. I think the Moose and Fredette (one I have) guides are too stiff which can cause what happened to your bike. I really wish someone made a good plastic one, like TM Designworks, for the KDX.

Also, a little tip I learned to get video looking even better, render your 1080 vid out at 1440 and then upload to Youtube. That's what I've been doing with my channel for a while now and you can see the difference viewing in normal 1080. It's better not because of rendering at 1440 but because Youtube gives 1080 vids a lower quality video codec (AVC1 codec) whereas if you upload in 1440 they give you a better one (VP09 codec - less pixelation/graininess). Just a little trick I learned from people more savvy with getting high quality Youtube vids than me!
[/quot

A couple reasons for picking it. First its my favorite and second its the lightest. I was IDing a hitch mount rack on my Prius so lighter is better.
Thanks for the tip on the vids. I use avidimux for my editing I'll see if I can figure out how to change it up.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Husky250 wrote: 10:00 pm Sep 22 2021
KDXGarage wrote: 06:53 pm Sep 22 2021 A long, long time ago, Fredette made somewhat of an L shaped aluminum piece to brace the chain guide mount. It was an L with triangle sides. The instructions stated to drill and tap holes for it, then use red Loctite. Teenage me didn't know what the hell that was, so I never put mine on. :-)
I'll do some research on that thx!
This was probably around '89 or so, so I doubt they are too many references on the internet. I don't remember anyone else mentioning it in my time on forums.

It was flat against the swingarm bottom, then 90 degrees to the tab somehow (not sure if it was before or after the plastic guide. It had sides that came down as two triangles. I think it was around 1/4" thick.

I know he made the FRP guide and plates later on. I suggest you look at all the bikes of the top hard enduro guys and see what is on their bikes and copy it. Whatever they are doing is working for them and their bikes / trophies.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I've been planning on making my own chain guide to help reduce this possibility. If I come up with something good I'll let the forum know.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Husky250

Post by Husky250 »

SS109 wrote: 08:52 pm Sep 23 2021 I've been planning on making my own chain guide to help reduce this possibility. If I come up with something good I'll let the forum know.
You DA Man! I've Made a few in my day I've just been lazy on this one.