The Honey Badger Sprint Enduro

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

The Honey Badger Sprint Enduro

Post by SS109 »

Since getting back on a bike after my accident I have been riding my '98 KDX220. Well, time to get back to racing and it looks like I'll be on the KDX! My GasGas is still waiting on a fill side radiator to be rideable again so the KDX is my race ride. I admit I'm a little apprehensive of racing again. I was extremely lucky to not be paralyzed, or even dead, after my accident and I'm hoping I'm physically up to it. I've dropped so far in the points standings that there is no way I'll be in the top 10 for the year so it's all just for fun now.

The race is the Honey Badger Sprint Enduro in Flagstaff, AZ. As if not being in the best physical shape is hard enough I'm sure racing at 6500+ feet (I live at 2000ft) isn't going to help any. This is an epic riding area here in Arizona as it's completely different riding than most of the state and the temps are a lot cooler. Hopefully I'll at least have a good time. Finishing the race? That remains to be seen!

Anyone else going to be racing it?

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Honey Badger Sprint Enduro

Post by doakley »

How does this work? It sounds like there are 3 separate sections or tests, very similar to a regular enduro? Th thought sprint enduros ran the same course multiple loops.
Good luck and enjoy!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 05:42 am Aug 24 2019 How does this work? It sounds like there are 3 separate sections or tests, very similar to a regular enduro? Th thought sprint enduros ran the same course multiple loops.
Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks!

Nah, running the same course multiple loops is just one way, like the Kenda series version, of doing it. It's pretty much the same as a Restart Enduro which isn't anything like a true enduro, lol. I race B class so I'll be doing six tests and I'm told they'll all be different. They put us B and A guys through tougher sections that they won't make the C guys do. Sometimes I really wish I was still a C racer!
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That sounds al
Most exactly like the Kenda Enduro series. Rip ‘em up!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck!

YOU GOTTA GO! It's Kelly Canyon!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Loaded up Friday to drive to the race. Got my KDX, my buddy's YZ250X, and a customer's KTM 350 in the middle that was also going to the race. Oh, if I never mentioned it, I do a lot of bike work to support my dirt bike habit. :grin:

packed.jpg
packed.jpg (167.83 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

Traffic was brutal! This is I-17 which is 75mph. Not this day! We were down to a dead stop at times in the middle of nowhere. Ugh.
driving.jpg
driving.jpg (195.59 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

Ah, the beautiful Coconino Forest in Flagstaff, AZ! We don't normally get to ride in the trees in southern AZ so it's a nice change along with cooler temps.
woods.jpg
woods.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

My humble living quarters
camp.jpg
camp.jpg (170.53 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

The race... wow, it was a really rough one. Rocks, rocks, and nastier rocks was the theme for the day. It was on par with the roughest in our series and it wasn't billed to be. I felt bad for the C racers as it was a B or better course IMO. All my C buddies complained about how nasty and technical it was. C's had 3 test sections and us A/B's had 7 tests.

Being my first race back since breaking my neck I decided to take it easy. My endurance isn't what it was before the accident and neither is my speed. So, I just treated it as a trail ride. I started to feel tired during Test 4 so when I completed it I called it quits. I hadn't crashed or dropped my bike all day but I was worried it was going to happen soon as I was getting sloppy. I didn't want to risk another injury. Placed 15th out of 19 in my class so definitely not a strong showing. However, I had fun and that's all that matters! The KDX performed flawlessly as always. It clawed up some seriously nasty step ups and rocky switchbacks without a hiccup.

Saw another guy riding a KDX. Heard it was his very first race. He got hurt pretty bad from what I was told and left by ambulance. That really sucks as it will probably turn him off of racing.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Trees! You do have some! :mrgreen:

I say good call on cutting it short. You learned where you are at physically and mentally, plus had a good time.

I am sorry to hear about the guy getting injured. It happens, but it is never good. :sad:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Sounds like a perfect reentry into racing after your accident. Sometimes the decision to drop out is the best one to make.
Congratulations!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I felt a little pathetic dropping out after test 4 but I was trying to be smart about it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Glad you were able to get out there racing again, and I wouldn't feel bad at all if I was you, especially after all you've been through. Good job!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks. Yeah, all my racing buddies were coming up and saying they were happy I was back out just riding let alone racing. It was a really good weekend overall.
'11 GasGas EC250R