KDX in National Enduro Series

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX in National Enduro Series

Post by KDXGarage »

WHAT?!!

You are hereby sentenced to using Tokiko!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Haha! I should probably take some photos. My problem with the Nissin unit is there is no adjustment on where the lever engages and the pull on the brake is very quick. I would like for my fingers not to have to stretch out so far to reach the lever.
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXDave »

You might be able to take the lever off, put in a vise, than heat it with a butane torch and bent to your liking...? dave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

TIME FOR CONFESSION:

You may recall I had mentioned a lower back problem, sciatica actually. This was causing some pretty aggravating pain and weakness down my left leg and into my ankle. After an MRI the docs discovered it was not a spinal stenosis problem as originally believed. Turned out I had a sunovial cyst in my lower back pressing on the nerves. Three days after the Alligator enduro in Florida, I had a back operation to remove the cyst. When I rode the Cajun Classic enduro in Louisiana I was about 5 weeks post-op and had clearance from my doc with instructions to "take it easy"! I'm happy to report I am released now "without restriction". Man, it feels great to be able to tie my shoes again!!

Just thought I should fess up. As I've said before, in the age classes we have a whole different set of things to deal with.

Old Guy Racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW!! I am glad to hear you are doing better. Enjoy a return to better living.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Just read your thread, pretty impressive racing effort you have going. I hope you can get back out there and kick some a$$!
I’m helping a female friend get into desert racing, been an interesting few months. Reading about your finishes and the effort involved helps the stoke keep going! Good luck in the next event, looking forward to it. Thanks
Levers are out there like asv, arc etc that have adjustments for shorter fingers, pivoting so as to not break in a crash.
Restore rather than replace
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Thanks, kdxfan4130! I appreciate your comments. I raced in a hare scrambles today just to get some seat time in before next weekend’s enduro and decided I definitely want to do something to make the LHRB have a better feel. H.S. race is more open and faster so you really use the brakes harder. It was working my left hand pretty hard.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is the edge of the pads chamfered?

I have read a lot of people say the back brake is grabby.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Last Sunday I decided to ride in a local hare scramble race, as I said just to get in some seat time and check out the bike (and me) prior to this coming Sunday's Cherokee National Enduro in Greensboro, GA. Glad I did as I found a little problem with the bike. First though since we always like photos, I've included a few shots for fun.
start7.PNG
start7.PNG (643.43 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
I think there were a total of 9 bikes on the start line
start8.PNG
start8.PNG (641.65 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
Flag drop!
start10.PNG
start10.PNG (607.01 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
didn't get the hole shot but did manage to be 3rd thru the first turn.
trail 3.PNG
trail 3.PNG (708.36 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
I believe this was approaching the finish checkpoint.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

trail 4.PNG
trail 4.PNG (680.59 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
Nice close up but I gotta' lose some more weight!
trail 6.PNG
trail 6.PNG (705.72 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
Nice flowing HS course, much more open than typical NEPG enduro courses.
trail 7.PNG
trail 7.PNG (532.35 KiB) Viewed 29705 times
I could hear Thirdgenxli inside my head, "STAND UP, DOUG!!!"

All in all it was a good ride for me. I dropped out after 3 laps in light of the upcoming enduro which was much more important to me. Wound up in 5th. Oh yeah that bike problem I mentioned. Actually there were two. Well...to be totally honest one was my own stupid fault. Remember that great 3rd place start? I gave it all up 100 ft past the first turn when the bike died and would not restart. ????? Yep, I had forgotten to switch on the gas!

The second problem? For some reason the bike seemed to lack the low end pull I've become used to. Coming thru some corners and on a couple of hills it just didn't seem to want to rev out in 3rd or pull the hill well. No problem once the revs were up but just seemed just a little bit of the typical low end was AWOL. Since then I've checked the compression just to be sure the top end was still good. 160psi so no change there. Checked the reeds which still looked new (Boysen), put in a new plug and cleaned the carb. Ah Ha! Maybe a little blockage in the pilot jet? Anyway, cleaned it all thoroughly and she seems to be running normally now. The only other thing I did differently was I had been working on getting the EFM Autoclutch to engage a little quicker. It's definitely grabbing better and maybe I was just asking too much of the bike to pull those hills and rip out of corners in 3rd. We will find out Sunday at Cherokee!
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dc2012 »

I have raced Zink ranch at the ISDT reunions. It really is beautiful country and you should take up his offer and go. You'll have fun. Just My .02
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Actually, so many people have said this that I’m currently planning on going to Zink.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Noticed from your pics, you legs are bent quite a bit when your sitting. Ever think of a taller seat to make the transition from sitting to standing easier? Might feel a little better at the push in the closing lap(s).
Restore rather than replace
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, how tall are you?

Your hands look way down there in that last pic.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Not quite 6'1" these days. Not sure, have to check for continued shrinkage weekly!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Mmm hmm. That explains it. Are you running tall bars? If you mentioned your riser / bar situation, I don't remember it.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I’m running Flexx Enduro bend bars, not tall. I am running an adaptor for the larger diameter bars. I think it is less than a 1 in rise. Before the Flexx bars I ran a 30mm riser.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That should help some. It does just look a touch low.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

You know, some days you've got it together and some days you don't. This past Sunday at round four of the 2019 NEPG National Enduro series, I definitely did NOT have it! More like "IT" had me!! Anyway, the 2019 Cherokee National Enduro is in the books.
Logo.PNG
Logo.PNG (132.49 KiB) Viewed 29617 times
If I had to summarize the Cherokee this year in one word it would have to be "RAIN"! I think we got a little over 3" of rain between Friday, Saturday and Sunday all total. The course, what I saw of it at least, was excellent which is normal for the Cherokee. Miles of tight, twisty woods trails. Not a lot of elevation changes (hills) thankfully, some gullies, and no big mud holes to stick your bike in. Mix that much rain with the infamous Georgia red clay and it is like riding on baby poop. Deeply rutted baby poop! One of the workers told Travis he should practice riding with his front brake locked down, it would make him a better mud rider. I remember doing this exercise at the Shane Watts Dirtwise course I took a few years ago. It was decidedly NOT my forte'. I have to admit after bouncing off trees, stumps and wet logs or just getting cross rutted and tearing off into the surrounding woods out of control, I had enough and dropped out in the second test.

Still, I managed to finish 7th (out of only 8 so somebody got tired of it before I did.) That 7th at least gave me 14 season points and moved me up in the overall season point standings to 5th. I'll take it.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.46 KiB) Viewed 29617 times

When I arrived, Travis had already picked us out a spot on "high ground" where we would hopefully be safer from the anticipated rain.
IMG_3438.jpg
IMG_3438.jpg (120.64 KiB) Viewed 29617 times
I always like looking at other racers' rigs. This one is a bit unusual. The owner told me he could carry as many as 5 dirt bikes on the front porch of this rig or up to 3000 lbs. The empty rig weighed about 3600 lbs he said. I wondered what 3000 lbs would do to his trailer tongue weight??
IMG_3439.jpg
IMG_3439.jpg (134.18 KiB) Viewed 29617 times
The choice of campsite turned out to be good, although by the time we left Sunday afternoon the area around our vehicles was ankle deep in standing water from the Sat/Sun rains. So what does an aspiring aged racer do when faced with all this rain on a Saturday night? I retreated to my manly "race cave" in the trailer and called it a night!
IMG_3440.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 29617 times
Things I learned: (My sponsor/wife will always ask me "What did you learn to do better?". Sometimes it gets old, especially when I don't like the answer. So here it is:

1. Scott roll off goggles suck. I would have been much better off with laminated tear offs like I normally wear.

2. I am in terrible shape. The combination of back injury and the subsequent lack of meaningful exercise has left me in terrible cardio condition. The time has already passed to get serious about getting in better riding shape.

3. The bike performed flawlessly! I've finally got the clutch problem figured out and cleaning the carb got rid of the bog. (If anyone is really interested I can explain the clutch issue later.)

3. I hate mud!

Next enduro is not until July 28, in Cross Fork, PA, the Rattlesnake National. I have some time to exercise and work on this cardio thing!

Y'all keep brapping!

Doug

Old Buy Racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

In summary... FIFTH!! :supz: :bravo: :prayer:

Congratulations on continuing to give it a go. It is great to read.

Sorry that it flooded.

What the heck kind of trailer was that?! WILD!

Recover, then train.

Thanks for putting "Kawasaki" in the top 5! :partyman: