General Enduro Info...??

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

General Enduro Info...??

Post by BamBam »

I am going to try my first ever race (Deleware State Enduro - April 29th) and looking at the route sheet, it has a lot of abbreviations I am not sure that I understand. Can someone who has raced before take a look at the attached, and maybe clarify what some of these notes mean?

There is also some note about a "HERO" section around the 21 mile point, that I would think I should avoid as a first timer.
And perhaps some railroad thing ("RR") at the 30 mile point.... if that is what that would mean?

Any insight would be helpful as I prepare for my first outing.

Thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: General Enduro Info...??

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW
Alphabet soup!

http://www.gmer.us/Enduro/Winning.htm

http://www.delawareenduroriders.com/

....from the first,
Here are some common abbreviations used on route sheets:

WT = Woods Trail

DR = Dirt Road

TR = Tar Road

BT = Black Top

X = Crossing

L = Left

R = Right

FC = Fire Cut

RR = Rail Road
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Thanks Jason! Very helpful. I was struggling to find the secret decoder ring :oops:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

First enduro? Forget about keeping time. Just follow the arrows and try to finish!
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Finish !?!?!? I'd be happy to make it back to the truck for lunch break between loops !
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

doakley wrote:First enduro? Forget about keeping time. Just follow the arrows and try to finish!
+1 Just ride and enjoy first time out.

The timekeeping is relatively easy. The Key time is based on the first rider out and all the times on the sheet are based on the key time. So at mile 7 (7.0) you should be at key time 9:18. The easiest way to do it is take a watch and set it so that whatever your start time is the watch shows 9. Then just follow the sheet. Resets mean you reset your odometer (you have a working one right? lol) to the given mileage (i.e.: at mile 2.18 you reset your odometer so it reads 4) They do this to make the math easier on sections with oddball speeds (like 18 mph) or distances because checks have to come on a minute and a tenth of a mile. So at 18 mph you could only have a check every .3 miles, at 24 mph one every .4 miles, etc

It can get overwhelming at first, but most guys just ride like hell and slow down when in a possible zone if they are on time. Most aren't so you just end up riding like hell the whole time! lol

On your particular route sheet after reading the course info TR probably means "trail" and BT="Black top"

Have fun!
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

General Enduro Info...??

Post by BamBam »

Rode "some" of the race. Mud was worse than expected, and really worked me harder than I had imagined. Stayed in 1st and 2nd gear most of the race, winding through what looked like a muddy rutted Cambodian rain forest! Even when it was more open the sloshy mud ruts were trying to rip the bars from my hands. Challenging (and exhausting) for this rookie! By the 4th test I could barely lift my right foot from the ground back onto the pegs, and for general safety called it quits at that point.

Lessons learned. Training and practice areas identified. Video of this first attempt of a train wreck to follow! :blink:
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

General Enduro Info...??

Post by BamBam »

One of the muddy stages. I should have gained more speed for the mud... but the mud (and fear of crashing in a rut) kept me timid.
Near the end I get jammed on a loose hill where a guy ahead of me was crashed laying across the trail.

(*can't seem to get video to embed)
Last edited by BamBam on 06:05 am May 03 2018, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on racing! I can't see the video.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

Looks like you earned your after ride beer that day!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Outstanding! Glad to see you riding the enduro and hope you will continue! Remember in the mud and especially on the hills, momentum is your friend! Good job!