First race on the 04 Kdx200, Mungatuks XC

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
Yeahthebikes94

First race on the 04 Kdx200, Mungatuks XC

Post by Yeahthebikes94 »

First race on the kdx! Borrowed her from a mate for the weekend with the intention of riding and 'trying before buying'.
Rode it the day before the race with the pro circuit pipe and practically bald tire in a wet forest. Not a good time, so the night before race day we went on a mission back to the shed and put the stock pipe and muffler on, and fitted a motoz trials tire with some big flat head screw drivers.
Thank god we did because the XC race in the Mungatuks was the muddiest wettest days riding I have done in a long time.

Heres a few photos from the weekend, Ill upload more of the actual ride when more pics are sent through :cool:

All in all I think I liked the power delivery and 'lug' of the kdx engine, but coming from a mx bike I wasn't a fan of the ergos.
The plan at this stage is to pick up a kx125 (hopefully this afternoon) and do a hybrid conversion. I should be able to get both bikes cheap :grin:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: First race on the 04 Kdx200, Mungatuks XC

Post by Tyl3r »

The hybrid is a world of difference over the stock KDX, you will love it! I have a dual sport KDX and a hybrid. The hybrid spoils me. When riding the same trails, I feel like I have to work a lot harder on the KDX. The hybrid just flows better. Seems to turn better and the front end is wayy more maneuverable. I know that the re-valved and properly sprung suspension on the hybrid gives a bit of an unfair advantage comparing to the bone stock KDX suspension... but still. Its just a blast to ride. If you're picking that one up in the photos, it looks like a nice clean candidate!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Yeahthebikes94

Post by Yeahthebikes94 »

Tyl3r wrote:The hybrid is a world of difference over the stock KDX, you will love it!... Seems to turn better and the front end is wayy more maneuverable.... If you're picking that one up in the photos, it looks like a nice clean candidate!
Coming from an 06 exc200 I was surprised at how 'skittish' the front end of the kdx felt, noticeably had to work harder to get it to keep a nice flow.

The bike in the photos is tidy! but was well over due on maintenance. Will need a fresh set of chain + sprockets, I put in a fresh plug, cleaned the carb, new tire, reset suspension clickers, done up the rear wheel (was loosened off onto the nut pin :shock: ) and needed fresh fuel.
Oh and the radiators hold coolant for about 20mins, luckily laps were short and I could top up after each lap haha.

Went and looked at a 2001 kx125 last night, and for the money it was just too rough. I got the guy down in price but decided to think on it.
Will wait and see what comes up!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ahh I hate that, I feel like the people I buy bikes off of never take good enough care of their bikes haha. If you're gonna hold off on the 01, maybe try to wait for an 03-05 to come up. IIRC you have to do a little more pipe tweaking on the 02 and earlier ones. Also, there are a little more aftermarket parts available for the 03 and up KX125's. Either way, good luck, hope it all works out.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Yeahthebikes94

Post by Yeahthebikes94 »

Its funny when you uphold a high level of maintenance and general bike condition, everything below that level feels wrong haha.
Yeah after a bit of research I found lots of hybrid builders aim for 03 kx125's and up. Will keep an eye out!
Cheers :cool: