Post Mortem (Oak Ridge Epilogue)

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Post Mortem (Oak Ridge Epilogue)

Post by KDXFZRRD »

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Post Mortem (Oak Ridge Epilogue)

Post by Sullyfam »

I feel your pain. My bike needed a cylinder replating after our 1st round and there was no way to get it back in time. Fortunately I was able to borrow a friend's bike so it worked out.

A borrowed bike is not the best option, but hopefully you have friends you ride with that are willing to serve as back up in case you can't get it together in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Wish you were local, could loan you some spares. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Post by KDXFZRRD »

It happens. The motor had many, many hours on it, it's a testament to how tough those things are that it was even running at the end of the race. From what I can tell it looks like it broke the piston skirt and sent the pieces up through the transfers, and then the piston pounded them into oblivion.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Darn shame. It did look like the skirt broke. I don't know about your model KDX but with the 1999 220 I was told by several people to trash the stock KAW piston in favor of a Weisco for just this reason. Something I did almost immediately after I bought the bike. Good to see you're doing so well with the old bike. I get some of the same looks and comments on the starting line myself. Of course I don't have your riding skills so I can't make them eat their words like you're doing. Keep it up!
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Post by KDXFZRRD »

doakley wrote:Darn shame. It did look like the skirt broke. I don't know about your model KDX but with the 1999 220 I was told by several people to trash the stock KAW piston in favor of a Weisco for just this reason. Something I did almost immediately after I bought the bike. Good to see you're doing so well with the old bike. I get some of the same looks and comments on the starting line myself. Of course I don't have your riding skills so I can't make them eat their words like you're doing. Keep it up!
Thanks! The bike was running a stock sized Pro X piston. The previous owner had the cylinder sleeved. I knew the motor was getting tired, I just wanted to get a little longer out of it! Most of the rebuild using the spare motor is finished, new Wiseco piston and rings. I hope to start it up tonight. Fingers crossed!