AMRA Rd.8 Canyon Rockin GP

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

AMRA Rd.8 Canyon Rockin GP

Post by SS109 »

Last race of the season. The race was held at Canyon MX park in Peoria, AZ. It was a GP format. I was feeling pretty good for this race and the KDX was running great as always.

Sadly, things started not going my way pretty quick. Firstly, at race start it was already 85 degrees and sunny. After suffering from heat exhaustion last summer my heat tolerance hasn't been nearly as good. This was going to be tough. However, I figured I would just take it easy and try to just finish. next, the minis and C riders had already ridden on parts of the A/B course so some of it was pretty churned up and dusty.

So, we take off and I'm just taking it easy. Quickly I realized I didn't get my suspension dialed in correctly for this race. I was deflecting off rocks like crazy. I should have taken more compression out of the front end for the slower pace I planned to ride. Oh well, I just pushed a little harder so my suspension would work better. That was a bad idea as now I was on the edge of overheating myself but figured if I just kept moving I should be ok.

Now, things go from bad to worse. About half way through my first lap we get get to a very rocky hill climb. Me, being a dumbass, followed two riders up it instead of waiting at the bottom but I really wanted to keep some air flow going. That was a very bad decision on my part. One rider stalled out and the other crashed. I had no where to go on the main line and tried to go up a little bump and looped out. The KDX came down and landed hard on it's left side. After some cussing at myself I picked my bike up and tried to get moving. For some reason my bike ran fine but wouldn't go anywhere so began a lot more cussing. I then checked my bike for damage and found I bent the rear of the frame and kickstand, knocked my front end out of alignment, and even popped the clutch cable out of the perch. Got the cable fixed and now the KDX would go again.

Back in the race I was now in last place. I could feel the front end was tweaked. I tried to adjust to it but it was hard at times to deal with especially now that I was overheated. My energy was tapped at this point. I kept pushing myself anyway and managed to catch the last rider and pass him quickly. I finally cooled down a bit, got my second wind, and was getting used to the front end. I was making some time and had caught up to another rider and got around him. I was feeling like "yeah, I can finish" :roll:

My race ended right at the finish of my second lap. I stalled and dropped the KDX in a small rock garden and the tower for my Scotts damper had come loose from the frame. With it being able to move at will, and possibly binding up my steering, I figured the smart move was to pull off.

Yesterday I straightened the front end but discovered my Renthal fat bars are bent. Yea. I also managed to get the rear of the frame mostly straightened but it still isn't perfect. Considering the beating the KDX took it held up well and still hasn't let me down!

Video below. Be warned, I cuss a lot in this one! :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: AMRA Rd.8 Canyon Rockin GP

Post by royadams »

Looked like a fun place to ride. I don't know if I could keep on coarse, looks like it's tough to see were the trail goes. It's always nice to see other areas of the country.
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

Man! You must have dumped that thing hard! At least you are smart enough to stop before you do more damage to the bike or worse, yourself. That is the hardest thing to do. What's your YouTube account? I want to watch the video but the smartphone doesn't.
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

DUST BOWL! :shock:

Good job to not overdo it. The bike can be repaired.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks guys. I got my butt kicked!
shoe757 wrote:What's your YouTube account? I want to watch the video but the smartphone doesn't.
User name is kuwi65 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsIEUs ... kTk4DbAvwg
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Tough conditions with all the dust, plus heat. Can't wait for my summer races in +95 heat [emoji57].

Definitely a 450 course - wide open! Hate to smack a cactus. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

Man that looks like some fast moving stuff.I know I'd spend most of my time picking the bike up out there. its so open but so rocky st the same time. My right hand would be so confused lol!
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125