2016 AMRA Kirkland Creek Hare Scramble

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, I finally made a race on my "new" '98 KDX220. This was a brand new course from our new charter member club, the Prescott Trail Riders, held in Kirkland Creek, AZ. It had deep sand, silt, lots of rocks, and some really tight sections. I thought it was one of the most fun courses I have ever run.I was in the 40B class.

The KDX performed flawlessly. While I was, as usual, at a disadvantage in the high speed sections and sand, the KDX let me make up ground in the tight technical parts. The KDX proved to be up for everything the course had to offer. I'm loving this bike more and more each time I ride it.

Sadly, I can't say the performed as well as the KDX. I never go for the hole shot as I try to stay out of the potential carnage and it's a long race. I like to get a feel for the dirt and course before picking up my pace. I was 3rd from last off the start but got in to my groove, made some good passes, and was running mid-pack of my class by the half way point of my second lap. As always, that's when I mess up. I lost my balance on a really tight right hand turn and just dropped my bike. Unfortunately, that caused me to start to overheat and I didn't recover enough before hitting a really technical hill climb. I just couldn't get up on my pegs, lost momentum, stalled, and dropped her again. I was rather pissed at myself at that point. I decided to sit there and cool down, drink some water, and try to hack some of the dirt out of my lungs. I was dead last out of all of the A and B racers when I finally started moving again. Luckily, I found my groove quickly and managed to catch some riders and pass them. I managed to finish but still came in last in my class. Overall I finished 97th out of 112 A and B riders. Even with the poor result I still had a blast! Also, it was humbling to watch Max Gerston and Destry Abbott pass me. Those guys are on a superhuman level! :supz:

If you care to watch, below is my helmet cam footage in three parts. I only recorded up to my hill climb debacle as I turned off my camera while resting and forgot to turn it back on. Warning, I'm cussing at the end of the last video. I edited some of it out but there is still one outburst!

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bone7615

Re: 2016 AMRA Kirkland Creek Hare Scramble

Post by bone7615 »

Good riding! That looks like a blast. What type of helmet cam do you have and how do you like it?
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2016 AMRA Kirkland Creek Hare Scramble

Post by SS109 »

bone7615 wrote:Good riding! That looks like a blast. What type of helmet cam do you have and how do you like it?
Thanks. I was off my game but I'm happy I finished. I'm running a Gopro Hero 3+ Black. It can do anything I'll ever need. The only thing I don't like about it is poor battery life. I normally only get about 2 hours per charge.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Found a couple of racing pics of me at Kirkland Creek.

'11 GasGas EC250R