FAST'R Coyote Classic 2014

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

This past weekend I raced in round 6 of the AMRA racing series, the Coyote Classic, which was co-sanctioned with West Chec. It was an enduro format with 5 test sections (C and B-loops), totalling 80 miles, for B riders. I raced in 200B aboard my white '90 KDX200.

My goal for this race was just to finish it. It was touted as a real ass kicker race and it was! Even the C-loop had some elements that I know made life hard on the C-riders. My race started out good and I got in to the flow of things pretty quickly. The KDX was running great and I felt good other than all the dust I was breathing in. Did I mention the dust? Man, it was so bad that with the sun right in front of me I was flying blind down a rocky wash! Luckily, it was pretty clear outside of the valleys. Anyways, nothing of note on the C-loop other than stalling my bike a few times and dropping my bike on a loose, silty, hard left uphill turn. Finished the loop and had about 20 minutes to rest up for the start of the B-loop. Didn't have an extra battery for my Gopro so I removed it since it was almost dead.

Ah, the B-loop. Started out with a very long transfer section that was a lot of fun but was working me over fairly good. Finally made it to the first test, got my time, and took off! This section had some really steep and gnarly hill climbs/downhills. I was doing great and so was the KDX. It was climbing like a billy goat! It just seemed to eat up these hill climbs like it was nothing. However, my luck changed rather quickly. I hit one of these steep hills, flying, was climbing like nothing, and BAM! I popped up on a rock and lost all my momentum and came almost to a dead stop. Of course, being in the wrong gear now, I stalled her out about 20ft from the top. I managed to hold my position, get it shifted down to 2nd gear, and get her the old KDX restarted. I had to dog paddle up the rest of the way and expended a lot of energy doing so. I should have stopped at the top and took a break to get myself together but I didn't. I went down the other side and immediately had to climb another hill. This one was even nastier with a small step-up about a 1/3 the way up, two changes in direction, and lots of loose rocks/dirt. I hit it as fast as I could and made the step-up and both direction changes with no problem. About 4ft from the top I caught another that caused the bike to lift and kick out and down I went. Not a hard get off but, after the last hill fiasco, the last thing I needed. Of course the bike fell the wrong way on the hill and I was losing fuel. I had to try to find some traction and get it lifted as quickly as possible. After finally getting it upright, and receiving some help from the sweep riders to get it on top the hill, I was spent. I sat down and tried to catch my breath for a few minutes. When I remounted and grabbed the front brake I realized that the lever came all the way to the bar. Crap, I lost my front brake! I couldn't find any damage or leaks so I don't know what caused it and I haven't looked since getting home. Anyways, my race was done. :sad:

Well, even though I was disappointed I couldn't finish the race, I had a great time. I did learn a few things. First is that my KDX is more capable than I am! Second is I know I really need to get out and work on some areas in my skill set to hone and refine them. Lastly, I need to work on my cardio!

OK, here are a few pics and a short vid from the beginning of the C-loop. I'll post up a few more vids as I get them edited down to a shorter.

My buddy Anthony and I getting the bikes ready for the carnage to come!

The KDX ready for battle!

Me after completing the C-loop. Dusted!

Here is my first vid with my new Gopro in full 1080 HD!

[youtube][/youtube]
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: FAST'R Coyote Classic 2014

Post by Julien D »

Well done! You can keep all that dust, though, lol! I'll take mud any day.
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

That looks like fun! Can't wait to see more.
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Sounds like fun...and some torture!

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with your brake, what sometimes happens when the bike is getting kicked around is the caliper gets knocked sideways by some trail trash, rock, etc and just needs to be pumped back into position (sometmes air gets in, but that's rare).

Good write up!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

That looks awesome..

just a quick one ... Is that the original front fender for the bike?
KDX 200
KDX 250
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks guys! It was hella fun but I'm still feeling it today! I edited the rest of the Gopro footage down to just some of the better stuff. Plus, I had to eliminate some of my swearing and my ramblings to myself! :mrgreen: It is still a little over 30 minutes long. Should have it uploaded later tonight

ArkAngel, no, that is not the original fender. It is factory for an '06-'08 Yamaha YZ450F.

EDIT: Race results are up. Looks like I finished 38th B overall (out of 50) and 2nd in my division. Not bad for not finishing the race! I have heard there was a lot of DNF's due to mechanicals or injury.
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i love the sound of the e serie on the power :supz: :supz: :supz:
Sure is dusty, reminds me a lot of Oklahoma in the summer :lol:
Not much tight single track though in that section, but it looks like a nice place to ride, which we had wide open spaces like this around here :roll:
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Cool! Way different than riding here in the midwest. Thanks for posting that, SS.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, finally got the rest of my Gopro footage edited, processed, and uploaded. I edited it down to some of the more interesting parts, removed some of my, uh, more colorful language, and just some of me talking to myself.

[youtube][/youtube]
'11 GasGas EC250R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Great Video. Nice pace. Power seems very linear on your bike. I've never ridden an E model, but that's impressive. How'd you get such a good quality video? Youtube always dumbs mine down to the point where it's difficult to watch.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Those little ceders and cactus's look a lot more forgiving than the 40ft birches we have up here :grin:

I do get a little jealous of you south westerners sometimes I can not lie...your endless year round season...can just take the back door out of work and take the long way home through a vast desert.

@ the 1:00 mark there I bet you could have built up some speed on that hill an jumped it back in 2nd tho! :supz:
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

B737driver wrote:How'd you get such a good quality video? Youtube always dumbs mine down to the point where it's difficult to watch.
All I do for Youtube is upload my file. I do have a verified account and it is set to upload vids over 15 minutes. Otherwise, just a standard upload. As for my vid. I'm using a Gopro Hero 3+ Black Edition. I record in 1080 - 30fps. Cut/convert to AVI using the free Gopro software, then put the file in to an old, cheap vid editor (Honestech 6.1), save file as AVI using the Xvid MPEG-4 codec and audio set to 44.1 - 16 bit mono using the PCM codec. Really, nothing special.
Gotanubike wrote:Those little ceders and cactus's look a lot more forgiving than the 40ft birches we have up here :grin:
It seems that way, huh? Trust me, if you hit a little 12" tall barrel cactus it will stop you in your tracks like hitting a brick wall! Plus, God forbid you, or the guy in front of you, clips a Cholla! Those things stick to anything and they tend to explode, flying through the air, like little cacti grenades! Standard issue on the trails out here is carrying a comb and needle nose pliers or mini vicegrips to remove them from your self. Just one little piece of Cholla will ruin your day! Of course, hitting trees (I'm from Indiana originally) sucks just as bad!
Gotanubike wrote:I do get a little jealous of you south westerners sometimes I can not lie...your endless year round season...can just take the back door out of work and take the long way home through a vast desert.
Year round if you can handle riding in 100+ temps and air so dry it dehydrates you so fast that it kills a lot of people every year! Most members of my club take trips to Colorado, or other cooler climates, in the summer months.
Gotanubike wrote:@ the 1:00 mark there I bet you could have built up some speed on that hill an jumped it back in 2nd tho! :supz:
Yeah, I definitely made some mistakes and lost some time. I'm going to be stepping up my training/practice to try to eliminate them as much as possible.
'11 GasGas EC250R
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

Great video! Although I like the openness of the desert, those cactus' give me the willies. I think that I'd rather tag a whole bunch of northern Michigan trees rather than one of those!

By the way, how/where is your camera mounted?

Sthutch
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

sthutch wrote:Great video! Although I like the openness of the desert, those cactus' give me the willies. I think that I'd rather tag a whole bunch of northern Michigan trees rather than one of those!
Eh, they're both bad just in different ways! :shock:
sthutch wrote:By the way, how/where is your camera mounted?
I'm using the Gopro "Helmet front" mount.

'11 GasGas EC250R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

cool video ss109 looks like it was a good time.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.