Gas tank swap.

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
Mrkushmann

Gas tank swap.

Post by Mrkushmann »

[image][album][/album][/image]
Hello all, and thank you for letting me join your site. I have owned Kawasaki my whole life. Been riding KX since bike number 2. And loving every ride. But recently I came across a true barn find of a bike. A 1993 KDX 250 2 stroke wit 740 miles on it. The bike was almost perfect except the carb was leaking gas and the Gas Tank was sun faded due to me living in Las Vegas. I was blown away at the condition of the bike. The lady that was selling it said She needed to clean out the garage because she’s moving and everything must go. I didn’t get much info on it besides it was my sons bike and he moved away. Anyway enough of that. Let’s get to my question.
As you can see by the picture. This KDX 250 is almost perfect except someone changed the stock gas tank and replaced it with this Behemoth of a tank. And it’s the wrong color and sun faded.
I hate the look of the gas tank on the bike. I do like the stock tank look and the new after market tank with build in fins. I want to return this bike to stock or change the gas tank totally with a different year. But after some research nothing will fit.
So my question is can I put a aftermarket KLX gas tank on this frame. I’ve seen it done but don’t know what they did to do it. In my pictures I added a picture of a aftermarket gas tank I would like to put on it. But it says it’s only for KLX. Not KDX.
Looking at a KLX frame and the KDX frame from a quick glance they look so similar, the frame on a KLX looks so close to the KDX that I figured the gas tank would fit even though it was not specifically made for this bike. Now it doesn’t have to fit perfect because the tank on it now fits and bolts up perfect but the Radiator fins do not fit perfect. Their close but still you can tell it’s not the stock tank that came on the bike.
Any info on a gas tank swap would be great. I can modify anything that needs modifications. For example changing the rear fender with a KX fender requires a slight modification to the kx fender. (So I have learned from this sight) so I am not concerned about a slight modification or if I have to use bail wire instead of a bolt because the bolts are not aligned up. As long as it’s secure it will be fine.
Has anybody done this or bows any info or may even have a stock 91-94 gas tank that I can get would be great.
I did find a stock tank they wanted 300 for it and I’m thinking if I have to spend that I should just buy the new Winged gas tank. And use that. Or put a different tank on it totally, like a smaller streamlined tank.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Oh yeah If anyone wants to buy this 28 year old and a few dollars away from brand new KDX 250 let me know. I live in Las Vegas NV.
Attachments
Paint on the frame is perfect.
Paint on the frame is perfect.
1D08CDF2-6D73-4CBE-906F-A871B5467D14.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 8704 times
KLX Winged Gas Tank.
KLX Winged Gas Tank.
F8C06643-7428-4A6A-B5DC-1C661B6C490E.jpeg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
1993 KDX 250 / 740 miles.
1993 KDX 250 / 740 miles.
3D4AAF27-93F6-4B94-B70D-D020AE815D9A.jpeg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 8704 times
Last edited by Mrkushmann on 05:53 pm Mar 09 2021, edited 1 time in total.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gas tank swap.

Post by bufftester »

Looks to have an old Clarke or IMS large capacity tank on it. You can sand it down and polish it and get the color to come back, just takes time and patience. For desert riding on a 2 stroke that big tank is the ticket, IIWM I wouldn't change it. Does need fork slider protectors. May be the picture, but it looks like the anodizing on the right fork leg is faded? That is a pretty great find of a bike, the 250s were great rides. Unfortunately parts have become pretty hard to come by.

As for other tanks that may fit, the KLX one may work, at least be close, you might have better luck with an H series tank (97-06 200/220). Might have to fiddle around a bit with the mounts to get it all lined up, but should be close.

Definitely want to put a bash plate on there before heading out in the desert. Great find!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

I would just wait for a decently priced stock tank to show up on eBay.

It could use some fork guards.

No need to call it "brand new". She is a few dollars from "brand new". :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Mrkushmann

Post by Mrkushmann »

Thanks guys, that is some great info.
And please do except my dearest apologies for my over embellishment of the use of the word brand new in my original post. I figured I had a little leeway by saying brand new and was more tongue and cheek due to the fact that the bike is 28 years old. I have since fixed the wording to better describe the bike. And will be mindful of my wording in the future.
Thanks again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, no need to apologize. I am one of many kidders and jokers on the site. In part, it was because we have had a couple of people that have pushed the spending into the $5,000 range and they kid about it. It's all for fun and just a dirt bike, not too serious.

:partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128