uneven idle on '94 KDX 250

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
wfoerk

uneven idle on '94 KDX 250

Post by wfoerk »

hi all, I recently picked up a '94 KDX 250 and I'm having some issues with keeping it idling, specifically when I stop while woods riding. It's a US model. Yesterday was only my third ride on it, and I've not owned a 2 stroke for many years. The carb now as a 158 main and 38 slow jet, with the stock throttle slide and needle. The idle is inconsistent. After cold starting it and allowing it to warm up it will idle nicely seemingly indefinitely. When riding it, however, every time I stop the idle speed is different, and often it stalls. I know the bike has a ton of miles on it so I'm wondering if throttle slide slop could be an issue. I have a new #6 slide on order. Maybe that will cure it? Or could float level be the culprit? Before yesterday's ride I cleaned the air filter, so that's not an issue. That's the only problem with the engine; it runs really well and I love the low end. Once I get the suspension sorted out I'm sure I'll love the whole bike.
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any constructive comments!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: uneven idle on '94 KDX 250

Post by Julien D »

My first guess would be clutch drag due to notched clutch basket. Try hitting neutral when you stop and see if it still has idle issues in neutral. That's an interesting combination of jets. That main is way big and the pilot is on the small side.

Welcome to KDXRIDER!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, that jet combo is kind of going the wrong direction. As Julien noted, check idle in neutral when its good then pull the clutch and drop it in gear and see what happens. If that doesn't affect it then your problem is likely carb related. When was the lst time it was thoroughly cleaned and inspected (the carb), might be time for a reuild.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

When i ran the stock carb in my 250. my jetting was 38, 155, 1 leaner slide, two needles leaner, br7es plug, thin kx head gasket.
wfoerk

Post by wfoerk »

royadams wrote:When i ran the stock carb in my 250. my jetting was 38, 155, 1 leaner slide, two needles leaner, br7es plug, thin kx head gasket.
Yup, that's about what I'm going for; found it recommended on another site. I have a leaner slide and needle coming along with a thin KX head gasket. With just the aforementioned jetting set up it runs way better than it did with stock jets.

I'll check out the clutch drag as soon as I get a chance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How are the reefs and float height?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128