Becoming harder to support

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Well, the KX250D is becoming nearly impossible to find parts for.

Fork springs are now not even listed on ebay for the D-series. Race Tech's own site doesn't have them available for order. I'm searching for KLX300 spring sets, as I believe they are compatible, but they're also vanishing.

FMF has discontinued the TurbineCore for this bike. Attempts to purchase old stock from three different retailers resulted in cancelled orders, as the four major warehousers don't have it available anymore. There have been no listings for new TurbineCore units on eBay for over 60 days

Plastics have never really been available. Right-side radiators are becoming unobtanium, as it doesn't match up to any other bike made by Kawasaki.

Is anyone successfully maintaining a supply of parts for these bikes, or is this now a lost-cause model?
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Becoming harder to support

Post by KDXGarage »

I can't help but get a chuckle. When you first posted, you mentioned something about liking the underdog. Well, you got it! :wink:

I know it is troubling now, but hang in there. Parts may have to be waited on instead of easy access.

You have done a WONDERFUL job so far. Take a pause and then get back at it. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

On the fork springs, what is your weight in full riding gear? If you are not a Tubby Tompkins like me, then I may have a set to spare:

KLX300 springs won't work. There. I saved you some time and money. :lol: (length - too short)

Have you had the forks apart to measure stock springs or have you seen just how short KLX300 springs are?

I spent a ****-TON of time researching KDX250 fork springs, so we can discuss it if you want. (you will need to shave down the inner spring guides, for example, when using tubby springs)

FMF spark arrestor being discontinued SUCKS...just look on ebay and maybe you can find one. Some new stuff shows up at times.

Plastic in awesome shape is hard to find, and SUPER RARE to find NOS OEM

How bad is your right radiator or are you looking for new?? I do not have quick access to my spares, but I should have one.

"Is anyone successfully maintaining a supply of parts for these bikes, or is this now a lost-cause model?"

Do you mean an individual or companies? Companies, I assume.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Yeah...this was more of a "blow off steam" post than a sign of giving up.

I have a feeling that supporting bikes like this will not come down to companies, unless they exist only as an extension of someone's passion/obsession. Methinks that survival of these bikes will require growing friendships & casual associations of fellow enthusiasts to a cult-ish level, however not much evidence of a cult exists. I'm to the point now where I want to finish the bike just so say I did/could, even if I'm not in love with the final result on the trail.

Based on my size, riding preferences and terrain here in Michigan (tight-ish woods, sand, slop), I'm going to trust the Race Tech calculator and assume I'll need .42 springs for the forks. I've already picked up 5.0 and 5.2 springs to try on the two shocks I own (both getting prepped for rebuilds).

I'm keeping all my old plastic from both donor bikes. Wet-sanding and heat-gun work has left all of it looking serviceable...and I just picked up a full-bike "velocity" pattern graphics kit from Senge. They said they'll keep the pattern on file for future orders.

I've purchased a right-side in good condition on ebay, albeit for more that I'd hope to pay. I've contacted Myler's, and they'll straighten my twisted set to use as a template/match-point for a custom-made set with built-in guards for about $300 ( http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/esho ... rs_SET.htm ). They'll get business from me come spring so I'll have a reliable long-term solution in storage for future use.
...your theater is on...
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

you can have E Bay email you when new items matching your search criteria are listed. Just click on "follow this search" on the first search results page. Best to first click on "advanced" (to the right of the search button) to be more specific in your search criteria.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your weight in full riding gear? I am not impressed with what Race Tech is showing since they re-did their calculator about a year ago.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

225 in riding gear. Want the suspension to be able to handle cross-training/endurocross work, single-track and only occasional jaunts into motocross velocities. I will not be happy if the bike handles speed but becomes too stiff for slow/tough trail sensitivity. I don't expect to see fifth gear for extended periods that often. PM if you think you may be able to assist.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No way in hell .42 is correct (in my humble opinion). :grin: :lol:

I am 230 in full gear and run .48's in MX on my KX250 (225 without fuel, so around 8 pounds less than a KDX200 in stock form). My KDX250 was maybe 273 pounds when I weighed it, something like that. It is about 40 pounds more than a KDX200. Look at all the posts from people on here mentioning which rate springs they run on their KDX200's, then tack on another .03-ish. (about .02 for 25 pounds and .03 for 37.5)

I think it will sag too much at .42.

For the most part, the spring holds the weight of the bike and rider, valving will handle your skill level, terrain, etc.

I want to say there are only 2 shims (maybe 3) in the base valve, if memory serves me correctly. Revalving stock is not really much of an option with the old-school inward/reverse bend shim system. It does NOT have a stack of 10 like the 1995 + KDX's do.

I have measured fork rod length at 490mm. The discontinued Eibach 997 series springs they had for the KDX250 are (were) 500mm, giving 10mm of prelaod. The Race Tech discontinued 1993 - 1995? KX125 / KX250 springs FRSP 3949 are 487mm. Preload spacers have to be added. Eibach 989 are 486mm. Though "modern" stiffness rate springs on those two models are discontinued, they MIGHT be found on eBay (I say this for all USA KDX250 owners, not just you). Either of those last two with a short spacer or washer(s) is the way to go, in my opinion.

I once even cut down some 1991 - 1992 KX125 / KX250 (1991 - 1993 KX500) springs to the proper length.

I will PM you.