Tighter turning

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Yes, a Belarus from the late 80's. Great simple machine, rude, crude, and fun to drive. It is very effective at loosening its own bolts and marking it's territory...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tighter turning

Post by rbates9 »

Cost effective equipment. Until something breaks. Then if you can find the part in the first place, cost is not an issue. I have known of several that have found a home in the weeds for small, simple parts that just can't be found. :? There is enough around that you would think there should be some sort of parts supply for them.
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

So far I haven't had any trouble with parts, joined a yahoo group that seems to be able to find anything. I will use it as long as its economically feasable to do so.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tighter turning

Post by 6 Riders »

I had my forks redone recently....a few tid bits about these USD forks....They are not tunable, no shim stacks etc. Springs are way light, my 200 came with .29 springs in them, I'm a 160# rider and went to .42's. Use 7.5 weight oil and adjust the compression damping by adding/removing oil 5cc at a time.
Lowering the forks in the trees works well, as stated above, but you loose some stability in the high speed stuff.
I had my forks "serviced" with new springs and a "balancing hole" drilled in the damper to help the oil smooth out the ride a bit. Made a huge difference in the ride of the bike and the stability of the front end.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Looking at a set of 92kx250 forks now. The more I read it seems this is how to handle the front end. Now to look into what is required for the swap.
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Been reading the fork swap section, seems like most of it is for the 200/220 so not sure if info is the same. Are there any year/model kx forks that will slide right into my 94 kdx 250 triples? Sorry if the is covered here already.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, not really. Obviously its the clamping area that matters, and that can even vary on forks of the same size. I would look for a complete front end.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Ok thanx, just gonna ride it the way it is for a while then. Really makes ya wonder what they were thinking when they chose this setup for the frontend.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

They were thinking of intermediate riders on slower trail rides, which those forks will soak up quite well if they are in proper condition. :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Last fall I replaced the fork seals and used Motul 5w. I was told the 5w would lessen the harshness and cut down on the deflection in the rocks. Still hoping to get them to deflect less, any tips?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

As I mentioned earlier, try some 2.5 wt. If that doesn't suit you then your next option is to modify the damping by enlarging the oil passages on the dampener rod. You can find a set-up that works well but it will take some trial and error.
I had my forks redone recently....a few tid bits about these USD forks....They are not tunable, no shim stacks etc. Springs are way light, my 200 came with .29 springs in them, I'm a 160# rider and went to .42's. Use 7.5 weight oil and adjust the compression damping by adding/removing oil 5cc at a time.
Lowering the forks in the trees works well, as stated above, but you loose some stability in the high speed stuff.
I had my forks "serviced" with new springs and a "balancing hole" drilled in the damper to help the oil smooth out the ride a bit. Made a huge difference in the ride of the bike and the stability of the front end.
That is some good advice.
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Thank you, he had mentioned 7.5 weight in the above post and I used 5w hoping I was going in the right direction. Seems I need to try 2.5. Thanks for the help, def appreciate it. Like jetting a carb, lots of trial and error till it just "feels" right.
MikNY

Post by MikNY »

Added a set of "bark buster" type guards. Cut the original plastic guards to fit over the metal ones. ImageImageImage

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

GREAT looking 1994 KDX250!

1991 - 1995 KX125/KX250/KX500 tubes are the same diameter (and 1996 KX500), as best I remember from measuring various fork tubes I have.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
zz3gmc

Tighter turning

Post by zz3gmc »

A straighter bend bar with less sweep back will get your weight over the front and help in turning. Looks like you have the stock bars on there.
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Good point, I rotated the bars forward a bit and it def helps but a different bend would be better. Picked up a front end from a 91 KX250 in decent shape, will get it set up this winter.
The bump stop on my rear shock started coming apart this weekend, can't really complain as its 19yrs old.
MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Guess I'll be replacing those bars, the new section of single track we cut this weekend was tougher than I thought it would be... Bent 'em up pretty good haha.
MikNY

Post by MikNY »

Couple shots from today ImageImageImage

MikNY

Post by MikNY »

Took a vid too but the phone camera doesnt seem to capture the motion well.

MikNY

Tighter turning

Post by MikNY »

Ok, heres the vid. It's weak, and blury, and generally sucks but hey I tried. Not nice to make fun of old people...