Riding DIY Multi-Tool

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Riding DIY Multi-Tool

Post by Tyl3r »

I don't know what you all think, but I feel like I hit a stroke of genius with this DIY multi-tool idea I came up with and I wanted to share.

On my KTM, I love that it came with a nice little T-handle tool with a bunch of socket tips. Its super convenient and I keep it in my handlebar bags when I ride for quick access, has tips for like 90% of the fasteners. The only problem is, every time I go to use it, I have to mess with all the bits and I drop them in the mud or something and I felt like I could do better. After looking online for different multi-tools, I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I made this multi-tool as a replacement:
20240101_140642.jpg
20240101_140642.jpg (4.76 MiB) Viewed 474 times
20240101_140623.jpg
20240101_140623.jpg (4.96 MiB) Viewed 474 times
Basically its a hybrid of a Harbor Freight metric allen multi tool, HF torx multi-tool, and a Husky (Home Depot) metric socket driver multi-tool. I took the three tools apart, selected the bits I wanted, put them back together using the frame from one of the HF tools, and wala! I ended up with 3/4/5/6mm allen, 6/8/10mm drivers, and T20/25+ a T45 strapped on. Now I have all the tools I want quick access to, and I can't drop and lose one! I love this thing and can't believe how simple it was to make. I already had the HF multi-tools laying around and the T45, just cost me like 12 bucks for the socket driver tool.

Harbor Freight multi-tools
Husky Multi-Tool

I'm sure other brands would work together too, the different tools just have a loop bent into them on the ends, its pretty basic. I was thinking about bending my own if I wasn't able to find the exact ones I wanted.

I wanted to share, you could make your own using a different combination to suit your bike specifically. This one suits me perfect for the KTM. If I made one for the KDX, I'd probably change some things like replace all the Torx bits with more Allen and add a 12mm socket. It fits perfect in a small bar bag.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Riding DIY Multi-Tool

Post by KDXGarage »

Man! Looks nice. Congratulatons.

Happy new year!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks man, thought it was a great cheap idea!

Happy new year to you as well!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Making your own specific multi tool. I like it a lot!!