Rekluse RadiusCX 4.0 & Basket Install - Rieju MR300

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Rekluse RadiusCX 4.0 & Basket Install - Rieju MR300

Post by SS109 »

I hope this might help someone if they plan to do this swap on a bike. I know it's a Rieju but the process is nearly the same for all bikes that Rekluse offers their autoclutch for with mainly only a variation in the torque specs. I just did a full Rekluse RadiusCX 4.0 autoclutch and basket on a '21 Rieju MR300. I was very impressed with the quality of all the components included and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the setup. Only issue was the lower bolt access on the clutch cover was a little too tight for a socket. Still managed to get it torqued down, though. Things needed to complete the swap are your choice of gearbox oil, a new clutch cover gasket, mineral oil for bleeding the clutch, and the required tools. I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Rekluse RadiusCX 4.0 & Basket Install - Rieju MR300

Post by Chuck78 »

We just did a Rekluse on my wife's '07 KTM 200 XC-W.
I will agree that is was very high quality.

The steel basket inserts that Rekluse clutches use so that the discs are not in direct contact with the aluminum clutch basket are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Lucky for us, her basket was notched, and you cannot install the Rekluse ( these inserts) if it's notched as it'll cause catastrophic failure potentially, according the the disclaimer (& I agree).

We went to swap the clutch primary basket gear onto a Wiseco forged basket only to find out that part of her power valve actuator several months ago broke free and got munched between the crank gear and clutch gear, fracturing the clutch gear on either side of one tooth, leading to a tooth being totally broken free from the rest of the gear but miraculously held captive due to angles of the cracks & jagged nature of the cracks... 1 munched mark on crank gear & 3 on clutch gear, the worst of which caused the adjacent tooth to basically break but somehow not break free to self destruct the entire bottom end, very very miraculously...

I've wondered if the EFM auto-clutch for KDX's compares in quality the same?
I know people were using a YZ125 early 2000's clutch basket with some very minor machining to clearance the back side and running them in KDX's, but they are no longer available for that year range from Rekluse as a kit, but you can buy the individual replacement parts to assemble a kit still.
A CRF model's clutch is the same size discs as well, since the YZ125 Rekluse of those years was "discontinued," but I'm not sure if the CRF basket swaps. It's documented in here on another post in this forum. I recently replied to it with some updates for lost info (dead links).
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Chuck78 wrote: 07:24 pm Dec 02 2023 The steel basket inserts that Rekluse clutches use so that the discs are not in direct contact with the aluminum clutch basket are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!
Same thing I thought... brilliant!
Chuck78 wrote: 07:24 pm Dec 02 2023We went to swap the clutch primary basket gear onto a Wiseco forged basket only to find out that part of her power valve actuator several months ago broke free and got munched between the crank gear and clutch gear, fracturing the clutch gear on either side of one tooth, leading to a tooth being totally broken free from the rest of the gear but miraculously held captive due to angles of the cracks & jagged nature of the cracks... 1 munched mark on crank gear & 3 on clutch gear, the worst of which caused the adjacent tooth to basically break but somehow not break free to self destruct the entire bottom end, very very miraculously...
Damn, you guys got really lucky. So, what does she think of the autoclutch?
Chuck78 wrote: 07:24 pm Dec 02 2023I've wondered if the EFM auto-clutch for KDX's compares in quality the same?
I know people were using a YZ125 early 2000's clutch basket with some very minor machining to clearance the back side and running them in KDX's, but they are no longer available for that year range from Rekluse as a kit, but you can buy the individual replacement parts to assemble a kit still.
A CRF model's clutch is the same size discs as well, since the YZ125 Rekluse of those years was "discontinued," but I'm not sure if the CRF basket swaps. It's documented in here on another post in this forum. I recently replied to it with some updates for lost info (dead links).
I have no doubt about the quality of the EFM and at least they do offer a setup for all KDX's no matter the year or size. The only thing I don't like about the EFM setup is that, last I knew anyway, you completely loose the ability to override the clutch.

As for the rest, I'm in the dark. I miss when RevLoc was around and actually made one that just dropped in for the KDX. Why Rekluse doesn't is beyond me.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

SS109 wrote: 10:26 pm Dec 02 2023
I have no doubt about the quality of the EFM and at least they do offer a setup for all KDX's no matter the year or size. The only thing I don't like about the EFM setup is that, last I knew anyway, you completely loose the ability to override the clutch.

Oh really? That really sucks... so it's just a clutch for beginners or those with disabilities basically. Advanced users will always still need the clutch override manual release function if they REALLY ride (meaning if they ride anything remotely technical).

SS109 wrote: 10:26 pm Dec 02 2023 As for the rest, I'm in the dark. I miss when RevLoc was around and actually made one that just dropped in for the KDX. Why Rekluse doesn't is beyond me.

Simply due to volume of sales. Like Pro Circuit constantly telling me they plan to make more 1995-2006 KDX Platinum 2 pipes, yet they are always "6 months out" due to new models coming out every year that require new pipes, vs the demand of pipes for 20+ year old models being a lot lesser. They want something like 50 pre-orders to put production at the front of the line to actually get the best KDX pipes ever made to be manufactured again. Rekluse flat out said no, not enough interest or sales volume for a KDX auto clutch.

The wife loves her Rekluse. I very slightly considered one largely due to those steel basket inserts being an incredible innovation, but will instead learn to better use the clutch in challenging technical scenarios instead. I do really like the steel inserts. If they sell those with their non-auto-clutch clutch packs and they actually have one for the KDX, I'd buy that over any others.

My Wife stalls significantly less now of course, even when the bike is on it's side on a steep root infested or rocky hill climb, it often stays running! This was our solution to her 5'2" frame's short legs having extreme difficulty kick starting a flooded bike after being on it's side on technical hills/obstacles, due to lack of having e-start.
We might drop a ridiculous amount of money getting some 2015(?) KTM 150 crankcases and swapping the longer 200 studs into it, as although the 2015 150 was not an e-start model, the cases were the same as the 2012-2016 e-start KTM 200... and you can retrofit the e-start into it with the proper case cover and e-start parts.

The Rekluse was a substitute for e-start in light of her very short legs kickstarting difficulties when the engine is flooded with fuel after laying on it's side for 30 seconds or more.
She also reaps the benefits of it in slow 1st gear technical terrain with no stalling when the bike's ground speed stalls out. Quite a lot. I lead her into a lot of tricky nasty gnarly technical terrain scenarios as that's one of the things that I thrive on - getting my @$$ handed to me on technical challenges, but hopefully eventually conquering them and honing my skills!
Last edited by Chuck78 on 11:11 pm Dec 03 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Chuck78 wrote: 02:12 pm Dec 03 2023 Oh really? That really sucks... so it's just a clutch for beginners or those with disabilities basically. Advanced users will always still need the clutch override manual release function if they really ride (meaning if they ride anything remotely technical).
Yeah, last i knew that was the case. Might be worth sending them an email to find out for sure. Yup, I still need my clutch override even though I have a Rekluse on my '11 GasGas. People seem shocked when I tell them I still use the clutch but I ride some pretty technical stuff sometimes.

Chuck78 wrote: 02:12 pm Dec 03 2023Simply due to volume of sales. Like Pro Circuit constantly telling me they plan to make more 1995-2006 KDX Platinum 2 pipes, yet they are always "6 months out" due to new models coming out every year that require new pipes, vs the demand of pipes for 20+ year old models being a lot lesser. They want something like 50 pre-orders to put production at the front of the line to actually get the best KDX pipes ever made to be manufactured again. Rekluse flat out said no, not enough interest or sales volume for a KDX auto clutch.
I guess that's true. I still don't understand it as KDX's are still running around everywhere and both RevLoc offered, and EFM still offers, a unit to fit the the KDX. Wish RevLoc would have never sold out to Rekluse. Ugh.

Chuck78 wrote: 02:12 pm Dec 03 2023The wife loves her Rekluse. I very slightly considered one largely due to those steel basket inserts being an incredible innovation, but will instead learn to better use the clutch in challenging technical scenarios instead. I do really like the steel inserts. If they sell those with their non-auto-clutch clutch packs and they actually have one for the KDX, I'd buy that over any others. Wife stalls significantly less now of course, even when the bike is on it's side on a steel root infested or rocky hill climb, it often stays running! This was our solution to her 5'2" frame's short legs having extreme difficulty kick starting a flooded bike after being on it's side on technical hills/obstacles, due to lack of having e-start. We might drop a ridiculous amount of money getting some 2015(?) KTM 150 crankcases and swapping the longer 200 studs into it, as although the 2015 150 was not an e-start model, the cases were the same as the 2012-2016 e-start KTM 200... and you can retrofit the e-start into it with the proper case cover and e-start parts. The Rekluse was a substitute for e-start in light of her very short legs kickstarting difficulties when the engine is flooded with fuel after laying on it's side for 30 seconds or more. She also reaps the benefits of it in slow 1st gear technical terrain with no stalling when the bike's ground speed stalls out. Quite a lot. I lead her into a lot of tricky nasty gnarly technical terrain scenarios as that's one of the things that I thrive on - getting my @$$ handed to me on technical challenges, but hopefully eventually conquering them and honing my skills!
That's good to hear. I'm glad it's working out for her. I wish more people knew of the benefits they do provide like she has discovered.

Today I rode some really nasty and rocky technical terrain (Red Spring Trail System - AZ) and I believe my Rekluse to have saved my bacon at least twice on today's ride. It's like any tool... you just gotta know how to use it!
'11 GasGas EC250R