Got a cheater bike

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got a cheater bike

Post by Tyl3r »

I rode a 2023 300 XC-W earlier in the year and couldn't help myself, I wanted one so bad after that! I put money down on a 2024 model so I was able to get one of the first ones our local dealer got in; I wanted to make sure I waited for the TBI vs. the previous gen TPI.
bike3.JPG
bike3.JPG (316.97 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
bike2.JPG
bike2.JPG (211.74 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
bike1.JPG
bike1.JPG (702.81 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
It is absolutely great, it just does everything so well. Since I got it, I've only done a few things to it like bibs, Mitas gummy tires, radiator guards, rear sprocket guard, bark busters, a lift strap for the front fender, a 2nd set of wheels (so I could have a spare set with tubes for dual sport riding), and replaced some of the white plastic on the sides with orange.

Before I got this one, I was going back and forth between riding my hybrid and 500 exc-f. I loved the hybrid, obviously. I thought it was absolutely awesome in the woods and was exactly what I wanted, I just hated that I didn't have an electric start on it. I loved the 500 also, it made great power and was street legal so it was a lot of fun to ride all over the place and not need to trailer it. Having electric start was awesome, but man, that thing was friggin heavy and could be handful sometimes in the slick stuff, especially for a smaller guy like myself... plus I definitely prefer the two-stroke over the four for woods riding. I feel like I can get everything I want with this bike... well, almost. I feel like the hybrid revved out higher up top, where the 300 starts to break up a little earlier it seems like. The ported 220 with a rev pipe rips, that's all there is to it lol Need to figure out how to get more out of the 300 without losing any down low. And, I don't have it plated, yet, but that is coming next. Getting married this weekend, so lots of projects and spending are on hold for that!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Got a cheater bike

Post by John_S »

Congratulations!! I want to ride one of those so bad but then I know I would obsess over it for a good month....or eight. Getting a new dirtbike the week before you get married? Was that a test to see if she's the right one or not? If so, she passed. Enjoy!!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Awesome bikes, I have ridden the 2023 and was tempted. Add a spare fuel pump to your tool kit. I have seen more KTM/Husky guys on the side of the trail for failed pumps than I would have expected. Gravity never fails though.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

CONGRATULATIONS!! SWEET RIDE! Enjoy it.

Also, congratulations on your marriage.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thank you guys! She did say in her vows that she wouldn't say no whenever I ask to buy motorcycles, so definitely going to hold her to that one lol she's a keeper for sure! The day went great btw! Beautiful fall day in southwest PA.

That is sad to hear about the fuel pumps! I know on my 500, they have an in-tank fuel filter at the pump and one in the fuel line. The book calls out to replace the one in the tank like every 100 hours or so... and I replace the one in-line every 10 hours when I change the oil. I wonder if keeping up with that would prevent the failures you've seen so often. I try to stay on top of all that stuff, there are quite a few more opportunities for things to fail on these new-fangled bikes compared to the simple older ones!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out