2018 RM-Z 250

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

2018 RM-Z 250

Post by VTMTcowboy »

After the grueling ride a couple weeks ago I figured I'd give the KDX a rest and try out my mx bike on the trails. Growing up in VT we only rode the northern hardwood forests, which were mainly comprised of snowmobile trails and logging roads. MX tracks were non-existent unless you had the ability to travel outside the state or you had access to a private track. Neither of those were an option. I would watch Supercross and Motocross on TV and dream of all those tracks out in CA. Well, here I've been for 6 years and haven't ridden a track yet! Granted SoCal is where the most tracks seem to be, there are actually a few right here in my backyard. Back in February I started floating the idea around about trying to ride track and thus the search for a 250 mx bike began. I sold my dual sport and the search was on! I figured it would get me out riding more because of the shorter driving distance and also help with riding fitness. The "winter" in California is a tough time to buy bikes because the riding is normally at its best and thus not much hits the used market. I kept watching all the reviews and reading my old magazines to narrow down what I should be looking for. The Yamaha seemed like the clear winner and the Kawi wasn't too far behind. The Husky and KTM are beautiful bikes, but seemed out of reach. I have always been intrigued by Suzuki for many reasons, but in all the reviews they get beat up pretty bad. Regardless of how you feel about said reviews, they are applying greatly to the avid racer, which means not so much a vet/c rider like me. Eventually despite the "bad" reviews I decided I could probably pick up a late model RM-Z for fairly cheap. Although the lure of a new YZ250FX was tempting, a $10K+ out the door price with monthly payments didn't seem right since I had recently paid off my truck and was out of debt. The search continued and nothing seemed to be popping up. I wondered if I could get a 19/20 Suzuki for cheap and thus started going that route. The goal became to either by something new or find someone with a late model bike that had low low hours on it. I was not looking for someone else's problems (been there done that, i.e. 07 Husky TE510...). Anyhow, I ended up finding an 18 RM-Z 250 on Cycle Trader at a dealer in Santa Rosa for a price too good to be true. I went down there the next day and walked out with it.

I know the air forks didn't get rave reviews, it doesn't have electric start, it's "heavy," the tires aren't Dunlop MX33s, the grips are hard, it doesn't rev to the moon thus signing off on the top, it's down hp compared to the rest, and the styling is outdated, etc. This is one of those experiences where I couldn't disagree more with the reviews. I am sure if I rode it back to back to back with the rest of the bikes I would probably see the differences, but on it's own it is a sweet bike. I certainly probably need to play with the fork pressure and the clicker adjustments but besides that it is plenty fast, turns on a dime, feels incredibly light, its nimble, tracks well, and is a fun woods bike. I am trying not to spend money on this bike beyond what I have already done, which is the skid plate, radiator braces, hand guards, disc guard, and exhaust. I am going to order a high pressure radiator cap and am thinking about a fan kit. I would like a full Hinson clutch, but that is more of a dream than reality. So anyway, I rode the bike on Tuesday at Foresthill trails 1-4 and it did excellent. I stalled the bike a couple times which was completely user error, not the bikes fault. In the small rocky chop, the front end was a bit harsh, but overall I cannot complain. The handling was outstanding and felt like glue on the trails with those old generation Dunlop tires. The bike was getting hot, but it was also 90+ degrees. Is this bike a full on YZ250X, probably not, but I will certainly keep it and use it both on the track and also as a fun 4-stroke alternative when the KDX needs a breather (or maybe when I need the breather haha). Ok enough of the rambling. Enjoy some photos and let me know if anyone else has a "crossover" bike.
RMZ09.JPG
RMZ09.JPG (154.54 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
RMZ06.JPG
RMZ06.JPG (192.32 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
RMZ04.JPG
RMZ04.JPG (149.31 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2018 RM-Z 250

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice ride! Thanks for the report.

Enjoy riding. No need to worry about keeping up with the Joneses!

As far as a "crossover" bike, I rode my 2005 KX250 in the woods a few times. It is a bit much for me. It has MX suspension, which did not work well for me, even with the compression clickers on full soft, front and rear.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2018 RM-Z 250

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Yeah I have a feeling a 250 2-stroke mx bike would be a lot to handle. This RM-Z has plenty of power but certainly is pretty easy to throw around and not lose control. On the track it is a blast. You can grab a handful of throttle and not feel like the bike is going to fly away. Sadly I kind of like the lazy 4-stroke riding. I forgot the lack of effort compared to a 2-stroke it requires. I can only imagine how smooth a true off-road 250 or 350 would be. Hmmmm... Beta 350.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200