RMX CLUTCH/TRANNY NOISE

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
argclh6670
Supporting Member

RMX CLUTCH/TRANNY NOISE

Post by argclh6670 »

Hey people, I've been dealing with the rmx clutch making a ratyle noise for a couple years....i have replaced the needle bearing and sleeve which didn't really quiet it up....after my last ride it has gotten alot worse to where it sounds like something is goin to grenade....its so bad I pulled everything apart today to inspect....but unfortunately I cannot find ANYTHING questionable....below is a link for a vid to hear it....looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance
https://youtu.be/FCLK6lGbdwc
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: RMX CLUTCH/TRANNY NOISE

Post by KDXGarage »

When is the last time you checked the power valve system?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

What Jason said. RMX power valves are awful close to the piston and need to have the face relieved as the stops wear. Other wise they eventually hit the piston.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

JL4049 wrote:What Jason said. RMX power valves are awful close to the piston and need to have the face relieved as the stops wear. Other wise they eventually hit the piston.
Jason wrote:When is the last time you checked the power valve system?
Thanks for the reply....im pretty adamant about PV due to the horror stories. I check them a minimum of twice a year. Presently, engine is completely apart...as I thinking i would find a bearing or bearings ready to go...but nothing. Only thing I did find is that there was a fair amount of slop on the clutch basket on the shaft...i replaced the bearing and sleeve awhile back (3yrs) because the noise use to be there but only in nuetral idling with clutch released...pull in clutch, noise would go away.
cornishwrecker220

RMX CLUTCH/TRANNY NOISE

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I'd inspect the basket fingers for excessive wear...also the clutch friction plate tabs too....

Most 2 stroke clutches have some play in them , & the noise tends to disappear when the clutch is pulled in..... You could try uprating the clutch springs as no doubt they would of lost some of their elasticity over the years .
argclh6670
Supporting Member

RMX CLUTCH/TRANNY NOISE

Post by argclh6670 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I'd inspect the basket fingers for excessive wear...also the clutch friction plate tabs too....

Most 2 stroke clutches have some play in them , & the noise tends to disappear when the clutch is pulled in..... You could try uprating the clutch springs as no doubt they would of lost some of their elasticity over the years .
Thanks for the reply..... clutch is pretty new, replaced that when I rebuilt crank and replated...the tabs on Fdisks have very little visible wear, and basket isn't grooved hardly at all...can barely feel them with finger....will post pics of basket so all can see.
https://tonygrijalva.smugmug.com/Clutch ... /n-k26RP3/
atvman2010

Post by atvman2010 »

I have that same noise going on, I've just been running it. :please: hopefully nothing happens
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

atvman2010 wrote:I have that same noise going on, I've just been running it. :please: hopefully nothing happens
Yea atv, I've been running last couple years as its been making the noise in just nuetral...but had been going away when I pull clutch in. And definitely not noticeable while riding. However, now I can hear it while riding and pulling in clutch in nuetral doesn't shut it up anymore. I really like the bike, don't want it grenading...lol thanks for reply