Anyone have an rmz450 theyve converted to woods use?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Long time no see, kdx'ers! Last week I found a killer deal on a leftover 2014 rmz450 for $5400 cash out the door! I was wanting another 2 stroke but that price was just way too good to pass up. Anyway, a few questions:
1. Ive heard that a headlight can be wited to the 12v test plug used for ecm programming; is that correct?
2.people keep telling me i dont need an oil cooler, but is one available in case i decide i want one?
3. Any decent cooling fans to buy?
4. Anyone that may have one know what is a good gear ratio for woods use?
Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Anyone have an rmz450 theyve converted to woods use?

Post by Actionman »

Heres the bike!
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Nice looking bike. You'll probably want to play with fork valving and springing for woods over MX, same with rear shock. A rekluse clutch would help as well. Depending on the type of riding you may get by with the stock gearing, especially if its more wide open than tight twisties.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

A friend of mine went through the same transformation on a YZ 450. He has done exactly what bufftester recommended. Gearing it down and the rekluse have done wonders. It's a great bike with massive power, but it feels heavy and the power is hard to manage in the tight stuff (his comments not mine). He has the SSS forks and was able to adjust the clickers enough without a re-valve. The SSS suspension is really good. 18" rear will add some cushion on roots and rocks as well as prevent possible pinch flats. Good luck, thats an amazing bike you've got.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've found thers really no place to put a radiator fan, and an oil cooler just isn't available. It's recommended to replace the 't' shaped radiator flow tube with a 'y' shaped tube from a 2015 for improved cooling, plus a 1.6 radiator cap.

As far as riding the bike, the 1st gear is super, super tall. It's the exact ratio as the 2000 kx250 I just sold, and I sold it cause 1st gear was so tall lol. It'll need a few extra teeth on the rear.
I've got a headlight on the way, and these bikes actually just use the port for reprogramming the ecu to power the light (that's what the rmx enduro bikes do as well).
The bike feels SO light when riding it! It feels a ton lighter than the actual weight, and the forks are just phenomenal feeling to me.
The RMZ weighs almost the same as my old 2000 kx250 but feels 20 pounds lighter.
There is ZERO engine braking! None. If there is, it's imperceptible, and feels about like a 2 stroke. That was a big worry, but it's awesome.
Powerwise, I'm not overly impressed at the 450, especially since my old kx250 had both a monster hit and revved out like the space shuttle. It's got great power, no doubt, but its the torque that I love. Buttery smooth, and gets traction like a tractor. The rmz is a pretty damned good bike :)
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Suzuki has done a lot of work trying to minimize engine braking in the 4Ts. EFI and computers helps. My understanding is they use TPS and engine speed/load data to bump up idle speed during engine braking conditions or something along those lines, supposed to work well, and evidently it does.