1983 Yamaha IT490 Project/rescue build

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: 1983 Yamaha IT490 Project/rescue build

Post by lucy »

david wrote:I wouldn't want to ride it in the woods. The YZ would stand straight up in every gear with just a wick of the throttle.
The IT 490 is a sweet trail bike. Amazingly smooth tractor power. The ports were dimensioned differently, different flywheel weight, etc. from the YZ. The down side is that they ping. But, there are tricks to fix that(I'm too old to remember them).

A photo of my old 490 is in my gallery.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

With the shock done I've finally made it to the front suspension. These 43mm KYB's seem very familiar.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I will be putting 2014 dr650 springs into the forks which are spot on for my weight and riding style according to Race Tech they don't even list the stock spring rate instead it say "WAY TOO SOFT" :lol: :lol:

Hopefully with the new springs and 10wt oil Ill have something decent up front
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

DR springs arrived yesterday they are shown on the left. They are slightly longer and are a progressive spring. I did have to cut new preload shims
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

These should also fit the 89-92 kdx conventional forks. They are .40kg/mm springs
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

New tank, number backgrounds cut out, refabbed the kickstand mount hitting the trails this morning