Spokes?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Spokes?

Post by KDXohio »

I've never had to do anything with hubs rims or spokes

One of the rear spoke nipples are nuts, not sure what they're actually called, on the bike I just bought broke off where it goes through the rim local dealer told me the spokes are no longer available from Yamaha and there's no other option because all hubs and rims are different sizes

So my question is where can I buy just the spoke nut? Is there an after-market source are they all the same thread pitch what do I need to know to order one?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Spokes?

Post by royadams »

I would check with a local bike shop. I know mine keeps old spokes around. I would not think it would be hard to find new ones. Buchanan's mekes the any size you need.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Thank you I probably should have ran over to the service department after the guy at the parts counter was no help I will give that a try thanks for the second option worst case I'll just order some new ones!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why is this in the suspension reference??

This is for a Yamaha??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why is this in the suspension reference??

This is for a Yamaha??
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Wasn't sure where to put it a could be reference for any bike really
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is it for a Yamaha?? A spoke nipple for a Yamaha does not equal reference level material for a KDX. :mrgreen:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Yes my current situation is for a yamaha but I meant spoke nipple sources/info/suggestions could be used for an old kdx too! I could delete yamaha from my first post and now one would ever know! Haha :shh:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yamaha is bad about selling kits instead of individual part. Maybe some ebay seller can sell you an individual nipple.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spokes?

Post by pumpguy »

You're going to need a spoke too.

If the nipple broke off, part of the spoke is inside the nipple. It broke due to seized threads.

I would take the spoke and nipple to bike shops and see what they can come up with. Spokes have different lengths and different bends, so it's best to get a replacement to match the broken sample.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

That's not how this one broke the head broke off the nipple the whole spoke is still there. I was able to source a used nipple from a generous member on the IT forum :partyman:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job!