02 klr250r debating on picking it up

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

So I came across a klr 250r on cl. Its not in actual bad shape. Had several stops in the shop for valve adjustments and maintained. Was guys wife bike to learn on. So Im sure a clutch is probably a good idea hahahaha. It looks to have decent tires and whatnot. Like I said I have to check it out.

Anyone have one or rode one a bit?

Seems like it would be a good putter for around town and local trails I can ride. No hassles with police and I don't have to convert or bribe county officials to ride on the rode to and from.

Watched videos and read about all the mods just curious as to others thoughts on here.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 02 klr250r debating on picking it up

Post by Actionman »

I've had one of these on my wish list forever. Very decent little bikes, and a fun alternative to a kdx if you want some quick, no hassle, light trail riding.
2002 KDX 200
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I loved my KLR but got rid of it in place of something with electric start, it's also a bit on the heavy side. Although, I did love the bike and it did street and trail both so well. I was surprised it has a cush rear hub. The bike doesn't have any kind of power that will set you back in your seat, but it hooks up so well and consistently with the dirt. Smooth grunt is the best way I could describe the power delivery.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 02 klr250r debating on picking it up

Post by Friedom »

Had a 84 & 86 klr600, and a 90s klr250
Reliable, capable dual sports. It'll get you there and back. I had fouling issues on mine, but bad jetting can happen to any bike. If you expect a high performance machine, it's not a good fit. But a well rounded do everything ok bike it is!
If you see one for a good price, you'll probably like it. They're good mountain goats.
Joy to the world!