Clutch side crank seal question....95 rmx

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Clutch side crank seal question....95 rmx

Post by argclh6670 »

In your guys opinions.....which way should the seal be installed? Flush side facing in or out? Reason im asking is....mine is leaking with less then 5 hrs on complete rebuild...i installed new seal same as old seal came out. My manual doesnt specify either.
Corey

Re: Clutch side crank seal question....95 rmx

Post by Corey »

All the manuals that I've ever owned for my dirt bikes specify that when installing seals and bearings the ID of said part should be facing you or "out". When it comes to seals I've always seen the ID on the "flush" side.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch side crank seal question....95 rmx

Post by argclh6670 »

Corey wrote:All the manuals that I've ever owned for my dirt bikes specify that when installing seals and bearings the ID of said part should be facing you or "out". When it comes to seals I've always seen the ID on the "flush" side.
thanks for reply....im getting mixed opinions on this issue...50% say spring towards crank and the other say outwards towards clutch. And now ive found this pic takin right out of the RMX manual. so now im really confused. lol... I just don't want to install the wrong way and have another issue. I do know that some manuals have had mistakes...is there any other way for the pressure during a leak test to escape into tranny besides crank seal? Image