Thinking about a dual sport

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Hey everyone lately I've been thinking about getting a dual sport bike. I really enjoy my KDX but I want to be able to ride down the back roads and explore new trails and even just ride to the OHV areas.

The downside is due to money and garage space, I'd have to sell my 220. I'd say that I'd be doing 75/25 trails/road. I wouldn't be using it as a commuter unless the truck broke down or something (no interstate).

My budget is around $3000, but I'd go up to $3500 for a nice machine. I've got 4 bikes I'm interested in and I'm curious if any of you have ridden any and could maybe give me a little information on how they compare to a KDX.

I know the weight will be significantly more, but my last bike was an XR400 (I know still lighter than these). I'm about 6'1" 205lbs.

Ok so I'm interested in these:

Kawasaki KLX250S

Honda CRF250L

Yamaha WR250R

And finally, the venerable DRZ400S.

I think I'd like the power of the Suzuki since it is more in line with the KDX but it's pretty heavy from what I hear. Although the little Honda is about the same weight.

Anyway I don't do any crazy trails or compete I just enjoy a nice cruise through the woods. I don't use the KDX anywhere near it's potential.

Thanks in advance,

Joey

PS- plating my KDX isn't an option. I don't think it would work well for me but it's a difficult process here in Alabama from what I hear.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Thinking about a dual sport

Post by doctord23 »

I recently was thinking along the same lines and considering some of the same machines.

I'm not a 4-stroke fan, but I have had a CRF230 as a friend bike. It was a fun bike with electric start.
I think the WR is the hot ticket but expensive. Never ridden one myself though.
The DRZ is powerful but heavy.
Both the KLX250 and the CRF-L are underpowered.
I found a plated 2003 KLX300 that has some performance upgrades and bought it.
IMO, it can never replace my KDX hybrids for fun in the woods but is a good compromise for a DS.
Not a commuter either except for short trips. I'll ride the Magna for street rides.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

I've ridden the crf, wr, and owned a klx400r (same as Drz, e model) I've also ridden the Drz s models back to back with the Klx. Currently own a Husky te630. Nothing wrong with the Drz, but, you do feel the weight difference between the off road only version and the dual sport, but both are capable off road. The newer modes have more adjustable suspension which is nice. You would possibly be happy with either for easy trail rides. Doesn't the Klx250 have decent suspension and come alive with some easy mods? The wr seems to be the best choice, but might be out of your price range.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I think I've eliminated the CRF250L. It has the least amount of suspension travel.

Right now I'm leaning more towards the KLX. It is the lightest of the bunch. It will be down on power but I think like bushx said they can be uncorked pretty easy. A KLX 300 cylinder is a bolt on mod and there are even some big bore kits out there.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

The stock carb is the weak point of the KLX, but it can be swapped with a pumper carb.
The exhaust has a restrictor plate that can be removed and the air box cover can be tossed. Those changes make a big difference.
I forgot to mention that the KLX uses many of the same parts as the KDX, like brakes, wheels, air filter.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1996 Honda Magna V4
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I think I'm gonna hunt one down. I'll uncork it and if that's not enough I'll spend $500 on a big bore.

It just seems the most dirtbike-like out of them all but I could be wrong.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

If you're looking at the KLX and want more dirt worthiness, consider a 2006 or 2007. They have a couple additional inches of travel and a taller 6th gear that the 2009+ don't have. As far as I can tell, there's no performance improvement to messing with the stock muffler on 2006+ bikes. Ditch it for an aftermarket silencer or find a KLX300 header and silencer, pull the snorkel (and maybe the lid too) and jet the carb. This forum is very active http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/
If you're needing more power, find a 300 jug or get a 351 kit from Bill Blue and pick up a TM36-68 pumper carb to top it off. The bike is designed for a 150 lb rider so if you're much heavier, you may be looking at stiffer springs.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Haha, it seems many people are thinking the same thing. I'm eyeing the same bikes as you plus a few others. The problem is I have two goals:

1-I'll be going on a big (~6000km) trip late this year. I figure a DRZ would be perfect with a sprocket change. However, it's lack of a 6th gear is a bummer. A 250 might actually do better, though with lot's of luggage, it might be underpowered in the mountains. Since I'll be doing mostly tarmac (but bad tarmac), I'm thinking of a Transalp or DRZ. An XR400 or 650L have also crossed my mind. I've seen a KLX 300 for sale, but I'm woried about spare parts.

2-I also want a bike for trail riding when I get back. So a DRZ would be possible, or I could just sell the bike after the big trip and get a smaller play bike. However, I want to be able to GET to trails. I find the KDX is great, but having to premix fuel, load it up every time I go somewhere far away, gas guzzling effect, relatively short range are bummers. So I think a smaller 4-stroke might be the answer (a WR250F or 45F). Maybe a KTM 450EXC if I can find one for a decent price (they tend to be overpriced here).

So: should I try to find a bike for both the trip AND for trail use afterwards, or should I just buy a more powerful adventure type bike for the trip (DRZ, XR650L, Transalp), then sell it once I get back and use the proceeds to purchase a smaller bike (WR?).
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

IDRIDR wrote:If you're looking at the KLX and want more dirt worthiness, consider a 2006 or 2007. They have a couple additional inches of travel and a taller 6th gear that the 2009+ don't have. As far as I can tell, there's no performance improvement to messing with the stock muffler on 2006+ bikes. Ditch it for an aftermarket silencer or find a KLX300 header and silencer, pull the snorkel (and maybe the lid too) and jet the carb. This forum is very active http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/
If you're needing more power, find a 300 jug or get a 351 kit from Bill Blue and pick up a TM36-68 pumper carb to top it off. The bike is designed for a 150 lb rider so if you're much heavier, you may be looking at stiffer springs.
I agree with IDRIDR on the best KLX250S being a 2006 or 2007. Plus they are green.
The only downside of my 300 is the lack of electric start. I had to learn not to turn the throttle without it running or the pumper carb will flood it.
On the plus side, the 300 has a kick start. The 250S are electric start only.
With either one, you will likely need stiffer fork springs.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1996 Honda Magna V4
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Most of the KLX's I've seen have been less expensive than the others. I figured with the money saved I could do the big bore and pumper carb, exhaust, etc.

Either way I think I've decided to go with a carb'd bike for simplicity. I'm down to the DRZ or KLX. I think whichever one I find close and clean will be the one I go with.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

As the doctor said, weak fork springs will be noticeable on the KLX.

Kick start kits are available for the KLX250s, but they're around $300.

The stock 1.9-gallon tank is a bit limiting providing around 100 miles or so. Clark and IMS make larger tanks, but the Acerbis 3.7-gallon is the largest (it also fits the KLX300 if you go that route). I've pulled off a couple 200+ mile rides between fills. Finely tuned and geared properly will get the KLX up about 55 to 60 mpg.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

JFortner5 wrote:I think I'm gonna hunt one down. I'll uncork it and if that's not enough I'll spend $500 on a big bore.

It just seems the most dirtbike-like out of them all but I could be wrong.
Hop over to the KLX250s forum I linked above and post up where you're located and that you're looking for one. There may be someone nearby who's been thinking of selling theirs.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm gonna check it out when I get home.

Currently I'm sitting at the DMV waiting to take my motorcycle test.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:Hey everyone lately I've been thinking about getting a dual sport bike. I really enjoy my KDX but I want to be able to ride down the back roads and explore new trails and even just ride to the OHV areas.

The downside is due to money and garage space, I'd have to sell my 220. I'd say that I'd be doing 75/25 trails/road. I wouldn't be using it as a commuter unless the truck broke down or something (no interstate).

My budget is around $3000, but I'd go up to $3500 for a nice machine. I've got 4 bikes I'm interested in and I'm curious if any of you have ridden any and could maybe give me a little information on how they compare to a KDX.

I know the weight will be significantly more, but my last bike was an XR400 (I know still lighter than these). I'm about 6'1" 205lbs.

Ok so I'm interested in these:

Kawasaki KLX250S

Honda CRF250L

Yamaha WR250R

And finally, the venerable DRZ400S.

I think I'd like the power of the Suzuki since it is more in line with the KDX but it's pretty heavy from what I hear. Although the little Honda is about the same weight.

Anyway I don't do any crazy trails or compete I just enjoy a nice cruise through the woods. I don't use the KDX anywhere near it's potential.

Thanks in advance,

Joey

PS- plating my KDX isn't an option. I don't think it would work well for me but it's a difficult process here in Alabama from what I hear.
i tagged my kdx, through south Dakota, it cost $43 to do it. then i transferred the title from south Dakota to Alabama, with no issues. is tagged, and insured, i ride it on the street with no worries.

i can walk you through the process if you want. I'm in Birmingham.

i also have a drz, that's in supermoto mode right now. you're welcome to toss it over a few times to see just how heavy a puff they are compared to the kdx. it's heavy, and it's all up high.

but, its a fantastic machine. i just walked in the door from a tire changing party that was up in Kimberly Al, and pinned it the whole way home to bham. wheelies at will, gets good fuel mileage if you don't wheelie, and mine has 40,000 hard miles on it. love this bike.

let me know if you want to tag your kdx. is a long read, but only two forms, you id, and a bill of sale or mso, whichever you prefer:

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.p ... r-ANY-Bike
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I just read through that thread and that is awesome. My only problem is that I bought this bike used from a private party and I have no title/mso.

I don't think there's anything I can do. If I could I might go that route just for fun.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:I just read through that thread and that is awesome. My only problem is that I bought this bike used from a private party and I have no title/mso.

I don't think there's anything I can do. If I could I might go that route just for fun.
i did it with only a bill of sale, my id, and the forms listed . mso and previous owners title is not needed.

:)
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks yeah I hadn't got to that part when I posted. I think I'm gonna give it a serious consideration. If I don't do it to the KDX it's nice to know that I have options. A plates XR4 would be nice.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:Thanks yeah I hadn't got to that part when I posted. I think I'm gonna give it a serious consideration. If I don't do it to the KDX it's nice to know that I have options. A plates XR4 would be nice.

a friend of mine (hey glenda!) just sold an xr400 that was very very fresh, tagged and titled. the titled bikes bring a few more dollars, but that's good for the seller at least ;-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I know this is a little older thread, so I don't know if you wound up buying anything yet.

Have you given any thought to a Suzuki DR350SE? They seem like a good balance between dirt/street, small/big.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Jim B wrote:I know this is a little older thread, so I don't know if you wound up buying anything yet.

Have you given any thought to a Suzuki DR350SE? They seem like a good balance between dirt/street, small/big.

the dr350 is a great bike. good ergo's, good reliability, and it has tappets instead of shim-under-bucket, so you can adjust the valves at camp if it gets hard to start (tight valves) at some point during a weekend / weeklong ride. i'm a BIG fan of cush drives, and the dr350 wheel with a cush makes it much less vibration prone, much smoother on the street, and generally just a big upgrade. the gear ranges are good, and having the 6th gear is handy if you're geared for dirt, and need to do some highway riding to get to the next trail.

a friend of mine had a 437 big bore dr350. i believe the drz400 piston is used, and the cylinder sleeved. this, plus a pumper carb turns the bike into BEAST MODE all day long. tons of torque down low, and good power up top too. fuel economy would suffer of course, but ... you can have speed, fuel economy, or dirt worthiness. pick one ;-)

another plus for the dr350 is the wire harness. it's very simple (like the kdx's) and can be used without a battery if you choose to.

i really liked the dr350's wheelbase on dirt roads. it's a drifting machine, even with shinko 244's (dualsport tires) and pea gravel.

:)