what is a good enduro ?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Bitteeinit

Re: what is a good enduro ?

Post by Bitteeinit »

Why do you recommend to stay away from the aluminum framed ones (2006+?)?

I think the new ones come with 6 gears. I really wish the older models had 6 gears. I think Suzuki is quite stupid for putting only 5 gears in the DRZ. With 6 it could well be the ultimate dual sport.

How would you say the WR250F compares to a KDX200? Besides the obvious 2 vs 4 stroke aspect... Handling/suspension/acceleration/nimbleness wise?
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

ohgood wrote: there are two versions of the F model wr250 also, if you get turned on by it, make sure to get the steel framed one, not the aluminum.

those bikes will straight up rip.

I'm a big fan of the wr250r too. really solid performers in dual sport worlds. there is a second model to this one too.... the wr250X has 17" wheels but everything else is the same. you might not believe how much fun a supermoto is until you ride one.
big stupid grins alllllllll the way home.

just don't get caught mid wheelie
I'm confused.

Yamaha has
WR250F - off road enduro
WR250R - milder and heavier but far longer maintenance interval dual sport
XT250 - very mild mannered dual sport, a beginner bike if you will with hp in the teens
YZ250F - motocross bike
YZ250FX - closed course off road version of the F that is high stung and right now highly anticipated

They also used to have a WR250X, which was the WR250R dual sport but with a supermoto wheel set.

What steel framed WR250F that is road legal are you talking about? 06 was the last year for a steel framed WR250F, and again, off road only in the states.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

He never mentioned road legal. I assumed he was just expressing a preference for the older steel-framed WR250Fs over the newer aluminum-framed models. I've heard the opposite elsewhere: that the 06+ models were easier on maintenance.

Anyway, anyone who's ridden one care to compare it to a KDX200?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

what is a good enduro ?

Post by kawagumby »

Hi,
I owned a 2001 WR250F and a 2008 WR250F (first or second year aluminum frame).
The 08 is electric start, has a good, but softer stock suspension (for an aggressive rider) and the engine puts out good power for trail-riding. It feels and is heavier than a KDX.
The KDX front forks hold the bike back, so I always put USD's on mine, the following comparison is done with that in mind.
Both bikes were modded...the WR250F had a YZ cam and the "free" mods including an opened up exhaust system (stock can).
The KDX200 had an RB modified striker carb, fmf woods pipe, boyesen reeds. I've owned several KDX200's.

The modded KDX is lighter, faster (in most situations) and quicker handling, but it doesn't have an e-start. The WR250 is a friendlier trail bike with it's more balanced stock suspension and e-start - the stock WR ergos are better for most (not as cramped as a KDX) Peak horsepower isn't that different, IMO, both pull hills about the same. Comparing both bikes stock, I'd give the nod to the WR250f. That's about it. But, I sold the WR and kept the modded KDX as it is a better bike for the really tight single track I like to ride.
A modded 220 is noticeably more powerful than either the KDX200 or the WR250F, and that's what I have now.

To answer the OP's question, just look at my sig line. I bought a Yamaha WR250R as a dual sport. I had owned both a KLR650 and a DRZ400S prior. The jap dual sports are heavy, they all weigh in at about 300-320 lbs wet, the kawi and yamaha 250 dualsports are the lightest at just under 300 wet and the Honda 250 and Suzuki 400 are well over 300 lbs. I like the WRR more than the DRZ because it can do highway speeds up to about 70 -75 without vibes with it's overdriven 6 speed tranny. It is lighter feeling on the trails than the DRZ also. The fuel injection is nice. So if you want a dual sport, not an "enduro" you will have to put up with a heavier bike that is not as at home in the dirt as a pure dirt bike. The biggest drawback of the WR-R is the suspension when used off-road. The rear shock must be revalved as it comes with insufficient rebound damping.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Light, dirtbike like, but want high speed stability. KTM 525 no doubt about it IMO. If you want lighter, then get the 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Bitteeinit wrote:Why do you recommend to stay away from the aluminum framed ones (2006+?)?

I think the new ones come with 6 gears. I really wish the older models had 6 gears. I think Suzuki is quite stupid for putting only 5 gears in the DRZ. With 6 it could well be the ultimate dual sport.

How would you say the WR250F compares to a KDX200? Besides the obvious 2 vs 4 stroke aspect... Handling/suspension/acceleration/nimbleness wise?
wr for the suspension, and lack of needing to mix fuel. it's a five valve though, about as touchy as the kdx is on higher throttle openings.

the steel framed version was just what people preferred for a while, maybe that had changed?