Z400 vs. 400ex reliability?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

So... in my search for a quad, I pretty much had my heart set on a Z400 and thats all I would look at. Love the power, the weight, weight balance, ground clearance, and most importantly, the reliability of it. I saw a pretty nice 400ex on the local craigslist tho:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3748735287.html

What I would like to know is, does anyone know if these newer 400ex's have any reliability issues? I've heard that the old bug-eye style 400ex's had head gasket problems and they like to burn a decent bit of oil. I didn't know if these problems have been corrected with the new body style or if they are using a new motor or whatever. Any other known problems?

Any input would greatly appreciated. Like I said, I was dead set on the Z400. I dont really want to settle for something that isn't exactly what I want, but then again... I never get exactly what I want anyways lol and this thing looks pretty damn sweet.

(I don't know if anyone was wondering if I was getting rid of the KDX to get the quad, but NO, I am not lol. I got too much love for the KDX to let that thing go!)
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

I don't have any experience on the 400ex but we do have a Z400 and would recommend them. The Z400 is great in the woods and does very well in the sand plus they have reverse. Get the Z400! :supz:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Z400 vs. 400ex reliability?

Post by Tyl3r »

I know, I absolutely love the Z400's! You dont need to convince me there lol I was basically looking for responses that would either say something like "the new 400ex's are sweet, reliable, no stupid problems like the old ones, id recommend it" or something like "the newwer 400ex's are junk, dont get it" lol I just dont know what kind of commmon problems are associated with the new 400ex's
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

i would say just like a kdx get something your comfortable with man.

Sounds like you already did that. Go test drive some others too. Take your time in your purchase really in the quad department. Its not like theres a shortage. With quads theres the valves to deal with. How they are serviced etc.

Who knows you might like a fast banshee stroker. For the price your paying for the honda you could easily pick up a raped ape banshee.

IMO

Hondas have incredible suspension I would have to say next would be suzuki. But if you want a shoulder socket poppin hard tail get a yamaha. If you want to enduro get a can am. You want to putt along with the honey through the swamps get a polaris.

Ive rode a ton and many years and I would have to say its tit for tat really for either. The zuk has more snap to it where the honda has a bit more comfortable roll like a cadillac. Honda steering is different from the suzuki too. You use the snap to ride the suzuki and honda just takes the turn. Out in the open i would say par for par> if open area honda would win if tight then suzuki if both .....dunno it would come down to rider.

As for the best pic.......find one that you can adjust the valves yourself with a wrench and not shimms. Shimms suck rofl. If anything look it up on the repairs on some forums too.

Hondas have a very good rep too. I dont see many suzukis returning on trips either.

Really a little research and hybrid builds here would reveal alot what your asking. I just summed up why we put this engine in this frame with this rider :lol: Two wheels or four its the same.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

LT250R
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

ive had both quads. had a brand new 07 special edition z400 and had a somewhat ratty 01 (bug eyed) 400ex. never had an issue with either quads. i am glad the valves never went out of adjustment on the z cuz like stated before, shim in buckets suck! power wise my z was stock and the ex had a pipe, jet kit, and air filter box removed; the z would walk away from the ex in a straight line, but the ex did have a little more torque down low but no where near the rev range of the z. suspension wise the z won. the ex was down right stiff compared to it! in fact the z literally saved my neck once when i came off a razor back in the dunes wrong. i thought for sure it was gonna send me flying but it soaked it all up! the hydraulic clutch on the z is amazing compared to the cable one on the ex. basically i got stuck with the ex and the wife road the z just due to the fact it was so much plusher and easier to ride. the ex was a ton of fun though! they are wheelie machines in the dunes with a good set of hualer straight paddles and can do tree shots with the banshees and 450s (all be it not as fast)! i loved both quads but for railing through the woods id pick the z. its pretty amazing how far you can go up trails a heavily modified jeep would have a hard time with on a two wheel drive sport quad! we are talking rocks twice as big as the z's rear tires! anyway both quads are super reliable but in the end id take my black z back in a heart beat if i could.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I bought it! The one I had the link to at the top lol. Rode the **** out of it yesterday and it did great. Took everything I threw it and never complained. Its in awesome shape too. I was told that it only had 3 tanks of gas ran through it. I did check the air filter when I was looking at the quad and its like brand new. It was all yellow without a spec of mud or dust, bottom of the air box clean too. It didn't have any mud burned on to the motor or exhaust. Has original tires on it that are still in great shape. I just love it. I was thinking about it last night and realized...this thing is the newest vehicle I have ever owned... and more expensive than the half of the trucks that I have owned hahaha I got them PRIORITIES!

ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Knew youd get the honda. Nice man have a blast on it.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

cool deal man

now, i know only one thing about 4-wheelers (and that is that they are a pain to pass in the trails) but looking at the way it sits...are the tires directional ?
and on right ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I have been havin a blast! I was playing around in a field last night and my buddy was like "dude, get a good slide goin and I'll take your picture, you can use at as your profile pic, it'll be sick!" So I was like ok... here is what he got...

damn tall grass! haha hides all the ruts and hog holes!

I would say the biggest two things I dont like quads are

A. Take wayyyyy too long to clean
B. Harder to bail when you want to/ you get thrown off easily when you dont want to/ they are easy to roll

that counts as 2 reasons right? haha Its not bad in the trails around here... 80% of the trails I ride are all 2-tracks made by quads. And yes, the front tires are directional and yes they are pointing the right way. I thought the same exact thing when I first saw it, but I looked and there is a hugemongous arrow pointing in the correct direction on sidewall
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Old school 4T's.....Don't think you can beat a Honda. That being said I'd kill for an old TRX250R, or LT250R that's STOCK and in good shape...and not priced in the unobtainum range. I have seen some clean LT's, but wasn't in the right place at the time. Stock 250R...forget it. :blink:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

i really need a yoda pic here

told ya so
ya get bored quick with it. Just sayin. I woulda bought a smart carb and new rims with spokes.

Nice holeshot.....pun intended :wink:

You didnt do bad at all with purchase. Lovin it.

Trade ya a truck for it :lol:
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

btw you look like a deer in the way
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I thought it was a moose at first.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

rbates9 wrote:I thought it was a moose at first.
Me to.......Hahahaha :twisted:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

[quote="ICRage42"
ya get bored quick with it. Just sayin. I woulda bought a smart carb and new rims with spokes.
[/quote]

You were right... its not near fast enough anymore lol I'm really wanting a 450 now... if only they didn't need so much maintenance... and if they had reverse lol I realized that I am WAAAYYYYYY to ride a quad without that haha picking that thing up and spinning it around isnt one of my favorite things to do :vom:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

BigAl wrote:
rbates9 wrote:I thought it was a moose at first.
Me to.......Hahahaha :twisted:
Me three. I was wondering how he got so close. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128