2001 RM 250!

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXrider1989

2001 RM 250!

Post by KDXrider1989 »

found a deal on craigslist that I couldnt pass up. a guy was selling this bike, not knowing what year it was and thinking it was a 125. the bike was complete, but in pieces, and sat outside for over a month or two without an air filter or anything covering the air box or fuel line, so you can already guess how junked up the carb was. the previous owner must've underestimated the mid-range powerband "hit" this bike has and flipped it, smashing up the silencer, breaking off a seat tab from the subframe, breaking off the seat bracket from the opposite side, cracking the airbox nearly in half, etc. when I brought it home, I found an ant colony living in the overflow lines of the carburetor, the workers, eggs, and all :shock: chain was rusted beyond repair, the chrome plating was coming off the FMF pipe, and overall it just needed some maintenance. lots of hours later, and the necessary parts replaced, I have myself a beautiful 250! I replaced all the plastics except the tank for ones off an '05 model for cheap, and had to slightly modify an '08 silencer to fit. I fabricated a seat bracket and a tab for the subframe, so it wasnt easy getting the seat with the side plates to bolt up. spray painted the bike had a recent top-end job done to it which is really nice (I was very surprised, and thankful, that nothing rusted inside the motor!). the bike fired to life after about 4 kicks

about the ride: I've only been able to ride around the block in my neighborhood so far. the bike is kinda sleepy and very smooth on low rpm's, almost like a 125. huge powerband hit in the mid-range, it's hard to keep the front wheel planted! and I havnt hit top end power yet, theres no street long enough and im pretty sure the neighbors wouldnt appreciate it. easy to manuever, brakes and suspension are good too. I'll get in a better ride tomorrow

picked the bike up for $460 and only put about $200 in parts, and about 3 days of hard work and elbow grease :grin: I'm debating on selling either this or the yamaha

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2001 RM 250!

Post by rbates9 »

Nice find!
KDXrider1989

Re: 2001 RM 250!

Post by KDXrider1989 »

:partyman: :supz: :boogie: