2005 KX 250

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2005 KX 250

Post by rbates9 »

A co worker is starting to talk about wanting to part ways with his KX. The bike is in really good shape and doesn't look like it has too much time on it. :hmm: Do I need another bike in the barn? :hmm:
Koko

2005 KX 250

Post by Koko »

If you can afford it...of course you need another bike. You can never have enough IMO. :supz:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2005 KX 250

Post by fuzzy »

Hybrid! Can likely move the motor on karting.4cycle.com as many unlimited karters are now running 250 shifters :D Or woods-modify it. Old Ski-Pro loved his with an auto-clutch.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2005 KX 250

Post by rbates9 »

I will have to see if he wants to get rid of it more then I want to buy it. All depends on the price. It is a nice bike and already has the heaviest flywheel weight he could find in it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2005 KX 250

Post by Julien D »

It'll be a wicked fun bike. If you can, why not? You can always flip it in a few months or a year if it doesn't suit ya. Late model two strokes are in high demand.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2005 KX 250

Post by rbates9 »

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any thing to look for or look out for? I have rode with him a few times and it seems to be a great running bike but as we all know some bikes have issues waiting to pop up.

Also, Where can you get a seat for them that doesn't raise the height but also doesn't raise the callus on your crack?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

2005 KX 250

Post by KDXGarage »

I have one I bought new. Since it sounds like you would be riding it in the woods, I will comment in that manner. The first thing would be to revalve the suspension. You may want to get a woods oriented pipe as well. The bike has little bottom end power.

I rode mine in the woods a few times and the suspension was turned to full soft on the compression clickers. It still was not enough, even with me being a heavier rider.

I rode it a gear high to calm down some of the power, which helped. Keep in mind that a decently modded KDX200 is about 15 less HP than it (47 HP). It definitely helps out in some places and hinders in others.

Depending on where you ride and for how long, you may want to look into some guards and a larger fuel tank. Clarke and IMS make them. Look at SDG seats for a change on the seat. The stock seat is surely not made for a several hour trail ride. It is NOT the KDX Kouch some of us know and love. :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
zz3gmc

2005 KX 250

Post by zz3gmc »

I have a 07, very similar to the 05. I have to agree with Jason on the lack of low end power. It was originally my wifes bike, she came off of a 03 and 04 KX250s. I installed a FMF Gnarly and a Q silencer, 13/53 gearing, Boyeson reeds and both a 9oz and a 13oz Steahly flywheel weight. It still lacked bottom end. It has a very explosive transition into the midrange even with the 13oz fww! The suspension was swapped from her 04, direct bolt on, as it was already revalved and lowered 1". Watch the power valve return spring, its under the cover on the right side of the cylinder, they have a tendency to break. Easy to replace. Pull the ignition cover off and check the crank seal, there were traces of oil leaking from the seal and I had to split the cases on ours after a season of enduros to replace them. They have a tendency to ping so they like race fuel.