Electrical Wiring Help...trying to make the lights shine!

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Koko

Post by Koko »

While the GasGas forum exists, it's incredibly slow. The previous owner of my bike removed the headlight and put a number plate. Removed the handlebar control for lights and installed a normal ol' kill switch.

I still have the wiring in place as part of the harness, including the rectifier. I purchased a Polisport Halo light. The back of the Polisport headlight has 3 prongs for the headlight. There is a second set of wires (two wires only) for a bulb that is offset to the left. I believe this is for a DRL.

Here is a wiring diagram I found for the 3 prongs on the back of the Polisport light. The headlight came with nothing with no instructions.

With the wires below...what would be the proper way to wire with a 3 way standard toggle switch?

To help...here is the wiring diargram for a GasGas. I just need to know what to wire where and what colors. I'm terrible at schematics. I can terminate wires and place them neatly and dress them back. But I'm not great with a multimeter and understanding what wire to where.

One member told me this
In a nutshell, yellow is always hot, and purple is hot when you connect it to yellow with the headlamp switch. White is hot when you connect it to hot through the brake switch.
which does make sense.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Where is the GG wiring schematic?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Post by Koko »

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, it looks like the GG originally had a hot switch. You really need the factory switch, or you have to solder in some diodes to keep the current from the low beam feeding back to the high beam and vice versa, or you can do a bypass.

The bypass you can do with what you have now. The only negative would be that your brake/tail light would always be "ON" regardless of the light switch position. If that sounds OK to you, let me know and I'll draw up a schematic to help you out.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Re: Electrical Wiring Help...trying to make the lights shine

Post by Koko »

If it's not too much trouble, a diagram would be great. When you say my brake tailight will always be on, do you mean it will always be bright like I'm hitting the brakes. Or just the normal lights on brightness and I hit the brakes, I'd still get that extra shot of brightness?

I found this too. I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking as well? I'm not really concerned with the horn.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/headlight___horn.html
KDX200-E2

Post by KDX200-E2 »

Thanks SS109 for helping Koko out. Being a multiple GasGas owner my self. I am curious what year and model GasGas are we
talking about?
The folks over on GGRider are a great bunch of folks. I would be surprised if you did not get good helpful information
over there. I may be able to help to some extent. Depending on what bike we are trying to diagnose.
I have a 1998 EC250SM that started life as an MC250. It really is a frankstein in the electrical dept. So it might not be of
a whole lot of help. My other GG is a 2002 XC300 that I converted to a full EC300 with DC conversion and a battery. It uses
the Euro / Canadian wiring harness with all the horn, brake, flasher etc... as opposed to the XC's headlight/tailight only.
I can check the color of the wires to specific locations if needed.
Jeff
Koko

Post by Koko »

My bike is 2005 EC250. But the previous owner removed the headlight and tailight and removed some of the harness associated with that by ungplugging it and I'm sure selling it off.

Here's my thread on the gas gas forum.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13132

Also...would this switch help me out?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/ ... ctions.pdf
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, that switch would be a good idea. To answer your question on the brake/tail lights, it would work just like normal except you wouldn't be able to turn it off. So normal tail and when you hit the brake it will get brighter.

OK, since you did bring up the Tusk light switch, I went ahead and made a schematic including it. I hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know! (click for full size diagram!)

'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Post by Koko »

Thank you.

Of course I have questions though. You say connect the V wire to Y wire. In the picture I posted above. I have two V wires and two Y wires. Are should wire those altogether and then connect them to the single black per your diagram. The rest makes sense.
KDX200-E2

Post by KDX200-E2 »

I'm speechless. Nice job SS!
No wonder why your bike turned out soooooo good. You're a PRO!
BTW, I posted a reply on GGRider and an offer to take a snap shot
or two of the wiring on my GG for Koko.
Best, (easiest) thing for a butcher'd wiring harness is to replace it.
Not the most cost effective, but, easy.
BTW2: I may have a old, slightly damaged, stock GG handlebar switch
gear somewhere in the garage next to my old XC300 wiring harness.
If Koko does not need the turn signals, brake light and dash lights. It
may be what you need.
Cheers and best of luck.
Jeff
Koko

Post by Koko »

Jeff, let me know what you have. I was originally going to go for road legal. Now I'd just like to have headlight and brake light. Thank you for the message on GGRider. I was trying to find my two violet and two yellow wires in your picture and I couldn't find it. I like SS109's wiring better. This is where my head was at (modified a version of SS109's). Not nearly as neat or concise. But it should get the point across.

KDX200-E2

Post by KDX200-E2 »

A two wire pair in a GG harness is most likely the horn or one of the turn signals, left or right.
The stock connector for the headlight, (I believe), is a 6 wire connector bundle. It's been a while.
When I can get into the garage, I see what I have and pull the GG out and take some pic's and
take some notes.
Jeff
Koko

Post by Koko »

Ahhh...I wonder if I have to dig a little deeper on the harness. But then again I'm wondering if the wires I'm seeing are for a headlight (one pair of the yellow purple) and the come from the tailight (second pair of yellow purple).

That's why I'd have to add them both into my switch wiring.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You should be able to connect the two Yellow and two Violet wires too their respective colors. Using a DPDT switch like in your diagram should work to isolate the tail/brake circuits so that they switch as well. However, unless the switch shares the same input for all outputs, you will need to run a jumper from one center pin to the other center pin. Otherwise, your schematic looks good IMO.

'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Post by Koko »

Can't thank you enough...

But of course more questions.

I looked over my harness and there are no other connectors. So as expected these are headlight wires. Upon closer inspection, I have two violet wires as picture. One YELLOW...which is the hot. One YELLOW/GREEN which is a ground.

I think the diagram works the same, I can just use that yellow green and wire it up to the ground on the headlight correct?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Koko wrote:...One YELLOW/GREEN which is a ground.

I think the diagram works the same, I can just use that yellow green and wire it up to the ground on the headlight correct?
Yes. As long as you are sure it is a GROUND then you are good to go. :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Post by Koko »

According to the schematic it is. At least I think thats how I read it.

In this picture you can see what looks like yellow wires only (they're yellow/greens). They are grouned to the frame near the coil under the rectifier on the right side of the bike.

Koko

Post by Koko »

SS109....and to anyone else following the thread. Here's an update.

I wired the toggle as shown in the last diagram. I'm wondering now, if I don't have a high low beam?

Here are the results:

Toggle in center position. No headlight, tailight or braklight.

Toggle switch in the up position. Tailight and brakelight work.

Toggle switch in the down position. Healight, Tailight and brakelight work.

I didn't have much time to play around beyond starting it and checking there function. The light really wasn't that brigth and on the yellower side. It brightened as expected when I revved it. But to me, it still didn't seem appropriately bright. Could it be my wiring that's not allowing full current to the headlight?

Should I only use the high beam wire off the headlight (red per diagram)? Or should I wired the high/low wires together and only connect it to the violet? It seems the tailight is getting power no matter what, unless it's in the off position?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If your trying to light both the low and high beam elements then there is your dim problem. You should only be running one at a time.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Koko

Post by Koko »

I'm questioning if I even have a low and a high. I was wondering if I only have an on position. meaning I only need an on /off switch as opposed to the switch I'm running.

Do most enduro bikes have a high and low option?