96 KX 500

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

96 KX 500

Post by rbates9 »

I came across a running 96 KX 500 for $500. :hmm: They say it runs good but could use a rebuild. :hmm:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

96 KX 500

Post by SS109 »

I guess your trying to decide if you want to buy it, yes? Ask yourself this, can you use it? If no, can you flip it for a profit? If no again, then pass. If yes to either, buy it!

I admit I used to lust after a KX500. I thought about how awesome the power would be, the cool factor of having a 500cc 2T, etc. Now, I think about the fact I can't even use all the power of my KDX, that KX500's suck gas like crazy, and I really don't care about being cool to anyone else hence I ride a KDX! Still might consider one for a supermoto though. Hmm.... :mrgreen: (This is a CR but you get the idea!)

[youtube][/youtube]
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

96 KX 500

Post by rbates9 »

I am thinking it would be cool to have. The price seems right if it isn't completely junk. But after finding it and texting the owner I realized that it is over 3 and a half hours away so I will probably pass. :sad: He did send me a picture and it looks to be in pretty good shape but as we all know looks can be deceiving. We will see.....
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

96 KX 500

Post by dfeckel »

I have wanted a big bore 2 stroke for a while, but it's almost pointless for me to have one in NJ if I can't get a plate for it. Regardless, I've looked very hard at several CL ads for KX 500s as well as Yamaha WR 500s. I like those WRs because of the simple air cooled motor combined with USD forks and rear disc brake. Some day I will have a bike that goes, "rang duh dang dang" instead of "ring da ding ding."
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

96 KX 500

Post by scheckaet »

having a big bore 2 stroke plated and mounted for supermoto would be sooo much fun and feel sooo illegal. That would be awesome :supz: if only there were roads with real turns where I live... :roll: :?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 96 KX 500

Post by kawagumby »

I owned a bunch of open-class smokers, the last being a CR500. Once you get over the power rush, If you don't have huge hills to climb, they are pretty much worthless. To get them to turn well you have to short-shift otherwise the gyro effect from the big engine fights you - you cannot use the power in anything tight at all and they are heavier and more awkward. It's harder to tune the suspensions for all that power and weight. For open terrain they can be a hoot tho' and you can be king of the hills for sure!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

HOLY Open track days! I was expecting a crash at every turn with the way most of those riders weren't holding a line. If the CR only had 1 more gear....
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

kawagumby wrote: For open terrain they can be a hoot tho' and you can be king of the hills for sure!
I'm thinking Palomar Mt., Angeles Crest Highway, Carbon Canyon, Mulholland, And Ortega Highway. ( I lived in SoCal for 18 years)
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
zz3gmc

96 KX 500

Post by zz3gmc »

I like my 500 alot! I havent ridden one in over 20 years before I built my hybrid. I have ridden/raced mostly 250 mx'rs converted for enduros, a few 200s, a 125 and a few 4strokes. I live in Southern NJ where its pretty much all tight woods and it works quite well! Mine is detuned some from a standard 500. I have the optional thicker head gasket (easy to kick over too), a 14oz Steahly fww and a FMF Gnarly/Q combo. Its very smooth and controlable. I did notice the gyro effect when I first started riding it but not anymore. It did require some suspension tuning, it was already revalved and sprung when it was a 250. I fiddled with the clickers some and am very happy with it. It does drink gas though! dfeckel, you should hook up with Mike C from your club and come riding, bring your hybrid.
Fletch

96 KX 500

Post by Fletch »

What about an Ice bike? I'd love to try a big bore on a track
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
KDXnoob1

96 KX 500

Post by KDXnoob1 »

I live in Ontario and am after one of these bikes! If it could somehow be arranged I would buy it!
If you don't of course.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

96 KX 500

Post by rbates9 »

That was a pipe dream of last summer. I never went to go get it. I had my first son on the way and realized that I didn't really need it as much as I thought. :sad: But I have found that even though I still wish I went for it I am just fine without it. :grin: