RMX 250

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Y'all have any experience with these bikes? Been looking into one for a while, I wonder how it compares to the KDX. Found a pretty good deal on one in my area

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3139951375.html
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RMX 250

Post by Julien D »

I have no personal experience, but have always kept my eyes open for a deal on one. That was suzuki's only real answer to the KDX, being a true trail specific 2 stroke. It was only made for a few years, so not very common. I have no idea how parts availability will be, or if many RM parts swap over. That one looks to be in great condition.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: RMX 250

Post by diymirage »

would look whole lot better in green ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RMX 250

Post by rbates9 »

They were made from 89-98 and the 89-92? was about the same bike and the 93?-98 was about the same bike.

Years ago there was a few of them out in the garage along with a same year range RM and they were pretty close to the same bike as far as the engine goes. Pretty good bikes overall and that one you found looks to be a good deal. But the parts availability might get tough. They were less common then a KDX.
cornishwrecker220

RMX 250

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Over here in the U.K the rmx was a popular all out trail bike which was also very good on the enduro scene. The only fault which could occure was with the power valve wearing & dropping into the cylinder causing serious problems (suzuki also had the same problem with their RGV 250`s) running a quality 2 stroke oil plus regular maintaining of the top end kept this at bay although a power valve `mod` was available...your very own guy cooper raced these bikes to great success in the gncc..the bikes are basically a 1989/94 rm 250 with lights..some euro models came with a metal tank & oil pump (bit like our kdx sr) if the bike is in good condition & the price is fair then its worth a look .
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

The only thing I have against the RMX is that it's a little taller than my E-series KDX, and 20 pounds heavier. And if I were to get this bike, I would have to sell my KDX. Looking at the bright side though, this bike seems to have better suspension, more powerful engine, decent brakes, a voltage regulator already installed, and a fresh top end and a few other small stuff my KDX doesn't have. I still have to repair or replace my silencer, fix the countershaft leak that is seemingly impossible, get new brake pads, a voltage regulator, inspect the transmission because it shifts a little rough, get better tires, and jet it correctly before I could consider it "fine". I guess I'll just have to look at this RMX sometime and see how much I like it to consider replacing it for the KDX
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:The only fault which could occure was with the power valve wearing & dropping into the cylinder causing serious problems (suzuki also had the same problem with their RGV 250`s) running a quality 2 stroke oil plus regular maintaining of the top end kept this at bay although a power valve `mod` was available...the bikes are basically a 1989/94 rm 250 with lights...
how often did this powervalve issue happen? I know the E-series KDX are notorious for broken powervalves, but if the RMX is more common to failure than thats no good. And are all engine components a replica of the same year RM 250?
cornishwrecker220

RMX 250

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The powervalve retaining pin would wear due to rattle etc then fail which would cause the powervalve to drop into the cylinder & get eaten by the piston..not good...again its a design fault which did get rectified in later models...you would need to check with the owner or listen to the bike when running but unless you strip the top end off you will never know for sure...again the motor is the same as the mx but with a heavier flywheel , lighting coil & 18` rear wheel...a powerful bike in their day until the likes of ktm came along & stepped things up to another level.. rmx is nice bike though...if its had a new top end then ask if the powervalve mod had been done or what condition the valve etc is in.
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Got to go look at it today. I was surprised at how clean this bike was, I dont think I saw any rust! Its definitely a larger bike than the KDX and stands about as tall as my CR125, but when you ride it it feels light and nimble. The torque on this bike is incredible, I can blip the throttle in the lower rpm's of 3rd gear and pull a small wheelie or go from 3rd to 5th and it'll still pull pretty strong. Does not have a light switch, I would have to connect the wires from the stator to the headlight to have some light. The clutch pull was surprisingly light, kinda like my CR125, not nearly as hard as the KDX, I liked that a lot. It shifts into 1st kinda rough, it rattles when you shift down and then slides into gear sometimes, but other than that it shifts up to 5th and into neutral smoothly. The rear shock linkage and swingarm bearings have grease fittings which I really like about this bike. Has Dunlop D752's front and rear, the same set of tires I had on my KDX when I bought it, really good tires IMO. Suspension feels good. Couldn't spot any obvious leaks. Comes with a lot of small extra stuff: set of plastics, spark plugs, bearings, manual, etc. What I didn't like is that he uses 5w-30 Mobil1 car oil in his premix (no wonder the exhaust smells like a$$! :roll: ) The bike has apparently been sitting for over 6 months, so that probably contributes to the way it shifts and performs. I think it's a great bike, but still debating on letting go of my KDX for it
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RMX 250

Post by scheckaet »

keep the KDX.
Especially the part where he mixes car oil with gas instead of using premix oil :roll:
that screams to me: STAY AWAY! who knows in what shape the crank bearings are.
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

scheckaet wrote:keep the KDX.
Especially the part where he mixes car oil with gas instead of using premix oil :roll:
that screams to me: STAY AWAY! who knows in what shape the crank bearings are.
thats true, but he said he recently started doing that. He used to run honda's HP2 oil. I didn't hear any strange noises from the bike but I guess you don't have to even when somethings wrong
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RMX 250

Post by Julien D »

While I'd love to have an RMX, I would never trade or sell off my bulletproof KDX to buy one.
hbgod

RMX 250

Post by hbgod »

ive had bad luck with suzukis. ive never owned one but my friends who had them were constantly replace clutches and just other silly stuff.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

hbgod wrote:ive had bad luck with suzukis. ive never owned one but my friends who had them were constantly replace clutches and just other silly stuff.
I have a few buddies who have suzukis and they've ran the dogs out of them, and they still run fine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RMX 250

Post by fuzzy »

They are great bikes, and that looks like a nice one at a good price (barring the use of motor oil as 2T oil...that will burn one down in an instant). Hard to compare a KDX to this...It is a RM250 chass. KTM EXC is a closer comparison. Great power delivery for a 250, lots of smooth power everywhere. LOTS... harder to ride than a KDX. Great conventional showas. Direct competitor to my WR....Which I like as a secondary bike...If I had to pick one I'd keep the KDX as it's better all around. High speed riding on the WR is a pleasure compared to the KDX. Woods work on it is unforgiving.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Koko

Post by Koko »

I've been considering one as well. Has a bunch of extra parts including stick headlight, and fender.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3139635752.html
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

fuzzy wrote:They are great bikes, and that looks like a nice one at a good price (barring the use of motor oil as 2T oil...that will burn one down in an instant). Hard to compare a KDX to this...It is a RM250 chass. KTM EXC is a closer comparison. Great power delivery for a 250, lots of smooth power everywhere. LOTS... harder to ride than a KDX. Great conventional showas. Direct competitor to my WR....Which I like as a secondary bike...If I had to pick one I'd keep the KDX as it's better all around. High speed riding on the WR is a pleasure compared to the KDX. Woods work on it is unforgiving.
I looked at it the other day and got to take it for a test ride. You are definitely right about the power, there's lots of it! It handles very well, like my KDX. I could see it being a little more difficult on the trails because of the added weight, taller seat height, and the increased power, but I think I could get used to it (I thought my KDX had a lot of power when I got it, and the KIPS wasn't even connected! Now I can toss it around) still debating on replacing it for my KDX, the cost of inspecting the tranny and replacing all the bearings, seals, and gaskets while I'm in there is unconvincing. I would prefer to change out my forks for a set of KX's, but thats a lot also. I'm more than sure the RMX will need a little bit of work on small stuff, but I will still be saving money than if I kept the KDX and went through a rebuild. Although I would love to keep it :?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RMX 250

Post by scheckaet »

I'll just say this: many riders were in your position before, sold their KDX, rode their "new and better" bike then missed god ol trusty KDX then realized they want their bike back...
my 2cent: all depends on what type of ridin u do; unless you have a lot more wide open area where that bike is more in its element, keep the KDX.
KDXrider1989

RMX 250

Post by KDXrider1989 »

scheckaet wrote:I'll just say this: many riders were in your position before, sold their KDX, rode their "new and better" bike then missed god ol trusty KDX then realized they want their bike back...
my 2cent: all depends on what type of ridin u do; unless you have a lot more wide open area where that bike is more in its element, keep the KDX.
That's what I was thinking. If this was going to be my only bike, I'd get it. But I have a CR125 for motocross and the KDX for trails and the occasional ride around the neighborhood. I left the suspension stock for this purpose, it should be great for the woods (although I've never been on any trails with the KDX, closest legal trails from where I live is about 90 miles away) I do love my KDX, it's just the money issue of making it how I want it to be. Unless he's willing to drop the price on the RMX because of the "premix" issue, I'll definitely keep the KDX. And even if, that's still a pretty tough decision
Koko

RMX 250

Post by Koko »

It all rends what forum you go too. A local one I go too has many a ktm rider who say how much they miss their RMX's after selling them. just like those hear speak of the kdx. Me personally, I want ride both and see what one i like.