I need help finding parts for my 84 kdx 250.

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Wildbill

I need help finding parts for my 84 kdx 250.

Post by Wildbill »

Hey. I’m new on here. I need some help. I have a 1984 kdx 250 air cooled. I want to restore it to at least riding condition but I have no clue where to find parts. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find parts for this particular bike?
Wildbill

Re: I need help finding parts for my 84 kdx 250.

Post by Wildbill »

I need a magneta and plastic and carburetor and cables
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Best person to contact is Jeff Fredette of Fredette Racing Products.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kipsy

Post by Kipsy »

Cool bike. The problem with it is - parts!

You can find reproduction plastics at https://www.dcvmx.com/1983-1985-kawasak ... c-kit.html
They aren't as shiny or smooth as the factory plastic, but they are better than no plastic.

https://hotfootmoto.net/store/home.php?cat=249 Hotfoot makes intakes and some parts like chain sliders.

Good luck finding the tank - it'll have to be used. And be careful that the old used tanks haven't sat dry for years and cracked. Probably ebay - same for the carb - I don't know. Clarke makes a universal KDX tank that might fit.

As for cables - I don't know - I usually just get those off ebay, too.

Magneto - if you mean the stator and flywheel magnets - that's a common problem. The magnets fall off the flywheel and destroy the stator. And all components of that system are NLA. I don't know of a place for a KDX250 stator. Maybe a KXT Tecate? There are some repo KDX/Tecate magnets on ebay for quite a bit of money if you need new magnets. And there are a few places for repo KDX200 stators. Pricey in the hundreds of dollars. Maybe call some of these companies? This mechanical problem will be your hardest obstacle to overcome probably.

Something to consider - keep an eye out for another bike. Another one might appear within driving distance to you and it might have the parts you need. Yeah, it might not get the bike going immediately but the search will give you something to do during winter months.

Good luck! I always wanted to ride the 250. I've have or had 86, 87, 88, and 96 KDX 200's. Fantastic bikes, but I always wondered what the 250 was like.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Try HPI Ignitions or Vape/Power Dynamo. I believe one or both may have a complete ignition system and flywheel for that bike.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the KDX! Welcome to kdxrider.net. Buying an "Owner's Manual & Service Manual" will be the best money you ever spend on it.

Look on eBay for used parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Warloks

Post by Warloks »

Hi I'm currently restoring an 84 250 I'm in the uk and the bike came from the USA.I have managed to find quite a few parts but it's not a cheap .my bike was complete but needed a total rebuild the only thing missing was the digital odometer which I managed to find a NOS item.i have replaced all the plastics with pattern as the originals were brittle and bleached.wheel's/engine are all rebuilt just searching for small parts original nuts bolts ect seems to be the biggest challenge at the present time