Clutch assembly

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
slodh1@hotmail.com

Clutch assembly

Post by slodh1@hotmail.com »

I just picked up a 1985KDX 200. Has been sitting for 10 years. Prior owner said he put a new clutch in, put the bike back together, and it would not engage. When I got the bike, you could not pull the clutch lever in at all. Cables were loose. I pulled the side cover off, and it was under a lot of pressure. It literally popped off. Try to reassemble, and there is pressure on the release plate. Seems like the clutch assembly was put together wrong. Any ideas?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch assembly

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Do you own the "Owner's Manual & Service Manual" for your bike? If not, get on eBay and buy one. It will be the best money you can spend on it. Also, be sure it is a 1985 model. Post the VIN and engine numbers if you have any doubts. I have the Kawasaki dealer manual "Model Recognition Guide", so I can help you to be sure of the model before you buy a manual or any parts.

Next step is to go here or a similar site, with the parts diagrams.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... -a3/clutch

Read and study the diagrams. If it was working before the previous owner (PO as some call it), then he did something wrong. You are trying to get it back to normal. Do not crank down the cover bolts. The cover will break.

Post some pictures of what you are seeing. Directions for posting pictures is listed in the link in my signature.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128