Finding Fork Bushings for '81

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Devon007

Finding Fork Bushings for '81

Post by Devon007 »

Can anyone point to a supplier of inner and outer guide bushings for '81 KDX 175.
My local suspension shop said they can get the seals, and get the measurements for the needed bushings, but weren't sure about where to find the bushings.
Thanks in advance,
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finding Fork Bushings for '81

Post by Goofaroo »

I don’t see them listed or shown in the parts diagram. Are you sure that it has bushings?

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kdx175-a ... CHC-iVMGEc
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, man. Where the hell are the bushings?? :hmm:

Race Tech doesn't even have the KDX175 as a choice on "model lookup". Here are two bushings they offer.

FMBI 36151 P FORK BUSH INNER-36x15x1 PAIR

Add to Cart
FMBI 36201 P FORK BUSH INNER-36x20x1 PAIR

Wow. That din't copy and paste well. :grin:
36 x 15 x 1 mm thick
36 x 20 x 1.5 mm thick

I am not sure they even have bushings. If they don't, then what the heck keeps the tubes from grinding each other into dust??

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It’s just part of the lower leg casting. Once it’s worn out you have to replace the leg. Or you could spend a bundle on your local machinist.

Are you sure they’re worn out or did they just assume it was missing the bushings?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

How do the stanchions look? Are they worn through the chrome?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

You said your forks are at a local shop. I would go there and put the stanchions into the lowers and see for yourself. Also take a look at the stanchions for pitting or wear.
If the stanchions look good and the fit in the lowers isn’t sloppy you should be good to go. As long as you keep up with the seals and change the oil occasionally they should last for a long time unless they’ve already been damaged.
Devon007

Post by Devon007 »

"What the hell are bushings?" I don't know. Part of the reason I took it to a suspension shop was that I didn't understand the diagram or what was entailed in the first place, and the guy came highly recommended.

I'm a novice but here's what the local suspension shop said: "when we replace the seals we probably have to replace the bushings to get it to line up right"

I think what he said is that the bushings hold the upper in place as it slides in and out of the lower. Maybe we have a vocabulary disconnect. I am in the Central Valley of California.

I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Typically on more modern bikes it would have bushings. I think your mechanic just assumed that it would. Nothing against your mechanic but the guys with all the knowledge and experience are retiring or passing away.

There’s actually a big shortage of “real mechanics” in this country. You should see the things people bring into my shop and say “I’ve had it to the dealer three times and it still isn’t right”.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Devon007 wrote: 08:28 pm Feb 08 2021 "What the hell are bushings?" I don't know. Part of the reason I took it to a suspension shop was that I didn't understand the diagram or what was entailed in the first place, and the guy came highly recommended.

I'm a novice but here's what the local suspension shop said: "when we replace the seals we probably have to replace the bushings to get it to line up right"

I think what he said is that the bushings hold the upper in place as it slides in and out of the lower. Maybe we have a vocabulary disconnect. I am in the Central Valley of California.

Goofaroo might be right that they are somehow part of the lower leg. I have never had anyKDX175 forks apart. It makes me want to take mine apart just to check. :rolleyes:

If they had bushings, then there is no way in hell the bushings would not need to be replaced in forks that old.

Picture stolen from Motosport.

See the pair on the left? Those are outer bushings. With outer bushings, we are concerned with the inner surface, where it is Teflon coated. Those set inside the top of the lower / outer fork leg and contact the inner / chrome tube (the upper tube). The ones on the right are inner bushings. They go on the inner tube. The outer surface has Tefloan coating. It contacts the interior of the lower / outer tube.

All hell would break loose if there were no bushings to keep the two tubes from grinding into each other.

If all else fails, switch to a newer KDX front end (forks, clamps, wheel if need be, brake system, etc.). Those 36 mm tubes are pretty flexy by today's standards.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I’ve never been inside a 175 fork leg but I have seen a few legs with no bushings over the years.

It’s a similar scenario to engines that have the crank or cam journals cast and machined directly into the block or head with no bearings. All is well until it is starved for oil.

I could be wrong about his 175 forks but the parts diagram certainly seems to support my theory that his “bushings” were cast into the leg, machined, and then ground to tolerance.

It would be interesting to see if a factory manual gave any service limit dimensions or further information.
Devon007

Post by Devon007 »

Goofaroo wrote: 07:41 am Feb 09 2021

It would be interesting to see if a factory manual gave any service limit dimensions or further information.
I have the factory manual. It has info on oil but not the "bushings".
Devon007

Post by Devon007 »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:46 pm Feb 08 2021
Devon007 wrote: 08:28 pm Feb 08 2021 "What the hell are bushings?" I don't know. Part of the reason I took it to a suspension shop was that I didn't understand the diagram or what was entailed in the first place, and the guy came highly recommended.

If all else fails, switch to a newer KDX front end (forks, clamps, wheel if need be, brake system, etc.). Those 36 mm tubes are pretty flexy by today's standards.
KDX Garage, do you have a particular year range for the "newer KDX front end" that would fit best on the '81? Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you wanting to keep it close to 1981 time frame or 2021 or somewhere between?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Apparently KDX250 through 1982 have no bushings shown on the parts diagrams. A NEW ONE on ME!!

1983 KDX250 / KDX200 and onward do have bushings.

We learn something new every day.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

If the factory forks are in good shape you might as well use them. Did you talk to the mechanic?
Devon007

Post by Devon007 »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:23 pm Feb 09 2021 Are you wanting to keep it close to 1981 time frame or 2021 or somewhere between?
Somewhere in between is fine with me. I am not going for the "restored" look, just want to enjoy the bike as much as I can, including as a frankenbike if need be.
Devon007

Post by Devon007 »

Goofaroo wrote: 05:14 pm Feb 09 2021 If the factory forks are in good shape you might as well use them. Did you talk to the mechanic?
It's in the mechanic's queue to open up the forks and see. I think we've concluded that he will not find any bushings, and therefore the whole purpose of this thread is has been to discover the meaninglessness of my original post. In any event, I'll confirm once he reports his findings.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It’s the condition of the forks that’s still in question. He could have just looked at the stanchions and had a pretty good idea if they will be useable or not.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If they are still decent, ride it.

This thread has been VERY educational to me, and I thank you!

A KDX front end from a newer model should not be too terribly expensive, but shipping would be a bear. A newer KDX might have slighter longer travel (taller forks), but hopefully not so bad that one could not just raise the forks a touch in the clamps to compensate.

What state are you in?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Devon007 wrote: 12:02 pm Feb 09 2021
Goofaroo wrote: 07:41 am Feb 09 2021

I have the factory manual. It has info on oil but not the "bushings".
If you have a few tools and the inclination to fix these forks yourself you could just go to the shop and bring them home. These early forks are very simple to work on. If you continue to post here or start a build thread you’ll certainly get plenty of help if you need it.

Is this bike running and ridden routinely? Are you just trying to fix an oil seal leak in the forks?