Engine & Front End Swap

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
SRRobirds
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Engine & Front End Swap

Post by SRRobirds »

I have an awesome 86 KDX200, but need an older model to qualify for AHRMA's Ultima class, which will allow me to ride in the 60+ class.

I found a rough 84 KDX200 the other day and got me thinking... can I put the (rebuilt) 84 motor in my 86 frame? And if so, can I also put the 84 front end on my 86 frame?

Thanks for your help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Engine & Front End Swap

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't know about the engine.

The front end may be a very simple swap. One would need the entire front end, including 38 mm inner tube triple clamps to hold the 1984 forks which have ... 38 mm inner tubes. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

you would also need the swingarm from the 84 since the Ultima class doesn't allow disc brakes
SRRobirds
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SRRobirds »

My 86 has rear drum brakes, so I'm OK there. And it seems the 84 front end will fit my 86 frame so that will give me front drum brakes.

Does anyone know if an 84 KDX200 engine will fit in an 86 KDX200 frame?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

SRRobirds wrote: 12:28 pm Jun 17 2020 I have an awesome 86 KDX200, but need an older model to qualify for AHRMA's Ultima class, which will allow me to ride in the 60+ class.

I found a rough 84 KDX200 the other day and got me thinking... can I put the (rebuilt) 84 motor in my 86 frame? And if so, can I also put the 84 front end on my 86 frame?

Thanks for your help.
Yes on the motor. May have to adjust for the swingarm to fit where the bolt goes through the cases. Either the swingarm or the cases. That’s how it is on mine, anyway. Looks like the cases were grinded down a bit where the bolt goes through
I like turtles