Parts recommendations for 88 KDX 200

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Parts recommendations for 88 KDX 200

Post by KDXGarage »

You might have to pay the $80 for one single OEM heim bearing, so getting "just" two bearings from All Balls would still be a deal.

Those bearings have always been expensive. I had mine replaced back around 1990 or somewhere along there.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

I hear ya. I looked up one seal/cap and it was like $87... really glad someone makes these kits. I don’t have another $80, but I guess I’ll have to dig deep.. much better than $500 in individual Kawasaki parts : )
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah. The price difference is tremendous. Normally, I try to go all OEM as best I can on such things. If I ever need to rebuild mine, I won't be chasing down NOS and paying a fortune.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Finally found a power valve cover. On its way. Seat cover and new foam is installed and looks good (in my opinion). Levers and grips installed, toggle has been replaced with a proper kill switch. Chain sliders installed. Pulled the suspension & shock. A buddy is going to go through the shock. All of the bearings seem good so cleaning and greasing. Thought the carb boot was ok, but it’s dry rotted on the back side. Need to pick up a carb boot and exhaust seal yet, but I think that’s it. Install the shock and tire and hopefully give it a try. New seat foam seems firmer than stock. Hopefully just right. Seat cover is of good quality. Actually pretty pleased. It’s from an 87, but not a big deal to me. Making progress.
Attachments
AAEFC417-2448-41DA-A170-A90131001986.jpeg
AAEFC417-2448-41DA-A170-A90131001986.jpeg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 5580 times
8279EE3C-94C0-4F1D-918E-4E59CEF6FD95.jpeg
8279EE3C-94C0-4F1D-918E-4E59CEF6FD95.jpeg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 5580 times
3FE274B8-4E64-4BF9-87E8-E10CC9C7EE21.jpeg
3FE274B8-4E64-4BF9-87E8-E10CC9C7EE21.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 5580 times
F977E390-0C6D-47E1-BDC4-774EFC805378.jpeg
F977E390-0C6D-47E1-BDC4-774EFC805378.jpeg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 5580 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Aw, man. Getting close! The seat cover looks great.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Hey question. What cheap, but better footpegs could a guy put on these? I assume most mounts for them are the same, but not 100% sure. The left one was pretty bent when I bought it. I bent it close to straight, but wondering if my 230 lb butt will break it off when I'm riding. wider, newer style might be an improvement. Looking for something cheap $20-30, preferably used ebay from a compatible bike, but would fit. Thanks again.
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

I have heard that Yamaha footpegs work, maybe mid-2000's, but not sure. Need to figure something out for mine as well...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I want to say that 1989 - 1994 footpegs fit, but they have the internal cross brace. Look on IMS footpegs site to see if the model number is the same for 1986 - 1988 and 1989 - 1994.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

so, got the bike done... well as done as I can get it for the summer. I attached a couple pics. Runs good, has decent power. Suspension feels much better now that all of the bearings and clean and greased. Didn't get the shock done, but it damps ok. will work for now.

I am running into a fuel leak issue though. Wondering if the fuel valve on the tank could be replaced by one from an 89 and up model? I don't see any replacements for the original 88, just a rebuild kit. Hoping someone can confirm?

Also would love a carb rebuild kit if anyone can recommend one? I have the keihn pwk I think on my 88. I need a new needle and seat (seat brass is corroded making the needle valve a bit sticky) float level is set correctly, but it still drips out of the vent. It would be nice to have new jets as they are in similar shape.

oh, and a set of front brake pads. are there ones that are better than others (of the cheap variety, I mean)? Mine are contaminated with either brake fluid or oil. front brake grabs if I clean the rotor, but it is coated after a few rotations and then slips again. Front brake lever feel is good, so assume it's not leaking, but I may need to rebuild the caliper if that's what is getting on the pads.

Thanks in advance!

-Wes
Attachments
done-1.jpg
done-1.jpg (114.87 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
done-2.jpg
done-2.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wesalauzen wrote: 10:10 am Jul 06 2020 so, got the bike done... well as done as I can get it for the summer. I attached a couple pics. Runs good, has decent power. Suspension feels much better now that all of the bearings and clean and greased. Didn't get the shock done, but it damps ok. will work for now.

I am running into a fuel leak issue though. Wondering if the fuel valve on the tank could be replaced by one from an 89 and up model? I don't see any replacements for the original 88, just a rebuild kit. Hoping someone can confirm?

Also would love a carb rebuild kit if anyone can recommend one? I have the keihn pwk I think on my 88. I need a new needle and seat (seat brass is corroded making the needle valve a bit sticky) float level is set correctly, but it still drips out of the vent. It would be nice to have new jets as they are in similar shape.

oh, and a set of front brake pads. are there ones that are better than others (of the cheap variety, I mean)? Mine are contaminated with either brake fluid or oil. front brake grabs if I clean the rotor, but it is coated after a few rotations and then slips again. Front brake lever feel is good, so assume it's not leaking, but I may need to rebuild the caliper if that's what is getting on the pads.

Thanks in advance!

-Wes
You have got it looking good!

On the fuel tank petcok... MAYBE!! I looked at:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... /fuel-tank

A few of the parts are the exact same on the 1986 - 1988 and 1989 - 2006 KDX200's. The gasket that goes between the tank and petcock is the same. In my little brain, that means the bolt hole spacing should be the same.

The 1995+ petcock comes down a good bit, I think. Check possible fit from a 1989 - 1994 model.

I think the seat is not replaceable. :sad:

You can get a jet block gasket from sudco. Main jet, pilot jets, needles, float valve and other parts are also available. I suggest for anyone to get real Keihin parts, not aftermarket.

You get what you pay for on brake pads. Dunlop, EBC, etc. cost more and work better. Spend a lot now, and have better brakes for years.

What did I hear the other day? Buy once. Cry once. :mrgreen:
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Wesalauzen wrote: 10:10 am Jul 06 2020

-Wes
Very nice looking bike.
You can get a rebuild kit for the petcock or the some use one off the WR Yamahas, you can try the Q-Tip and alloy polish trick on the carb seat, cleans them up nice.
02 KDX220
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

So, saw there were two styles of petcock innards on these older bikes and wasn't sure what I had so drained the fuel last night and confirmed mine is stock. Ordered a rebuild kit for the petcock. Hopefully that will seal things up and stop the leak at least on the top side.

So what type of alloy polish would a guy use on the carb seat? I would definitely try that. I'm used to the mikuni carbs where you can replace that part. The etching (or buildup, not sure) on the surface seems to make the needle sticky / catchy in the bore on the roughened surface. once it's smooth, it typically fixes the issue.

thanks in advance : )
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am guessing Simichrome.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

cool, thank you
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're welcome. Keep at it.
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Nice looking bike man. I can confirm that the All Balls linkage bearing kit for the 85kx125 does indeed fit. I cross referenced the crap out of it and bought the kit and installed all of the bearings. They just refer to the top/bottom bearings opposite because the shock is mounted opposite. I have postings in the air cooled section somewhere with the part numbers and such after I did mine.
arjay200

Post by arjay200 »

Really nice example you have there, hold on to it. And any original parts you have. They are going to become collectible. Look out for NOS rear fender...
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

The OP has this listed on marketplace for sale right now, just came across it last night.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have a link?
RattleBang $$

Post by RattleBang $$ »

Hi , It's nice to see another 88 out there getting some tlc . My 88 has a DC plastics rear fender and it fits well . The tail lense was from Ebay and the bulb holder was from a old suzuki tail light I had ( just modded it to fit )
If you have any other questions I'll do my best to help .
I think with my reply you should be able to see my rebuilt bike through a link .
Cheers Jim.