Parts recommendations for 88 KDX 200

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Wesalauzen

Re: Parts recommendations for 88 KDX 200

Post by Wesalauzen »

I'll probably just wait and buy the DC one later and piece together the stock setup from ebay. However, if the new light 96+ light would fit, I would sure try that though. I can grab dimensions off of the light opening in the fender if anyone could compare to their newer KDX for compatibility.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Thanks for the heads up on the chain sliders. if the used one I picked up doesn't work out, I'll pick up a set.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check the splines on the output shaft. Running the chain super tight is not good for them. The chain actually loosens and tightens as the swingarm moves. Put the bike on a stand and disconnect the shock. Next, get a helper to lift the rear wheel to feel the chain tension increase when the swingarm is parallel to the ground. NOT GOOD.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Lens measures 5 1/2" long,3 3/8" wide, measurement from the top of lens to screw hole 2 11/16", base plate of the assembly fits into a cavity in the fender of 5 7/16" long, 3 1/4" wide and the depth of approx. 9/16", held on by 3 nuts from the bottom..
02 KDX220
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

so would the 87 KX250 rear fender look like this installed? I'm tempted to just do that. Honeslty I just want a clean finshed look. I will eventually put it back to stock, but if I have to spend a bunch of money and time trying to figure out the tail light, this looks like it would just give a clean finished look to the bike until I can do that. Saw i t in a post about the 6v wiring, but the guy doesn't look like hes' been active for a few years.

Thank you for the lens measurements by the way. I will check them against my fender tonight.
Attachments
87 kx250 denfer 2.jpg
87 kx250 denfer 2.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
87 kx250 fender 1.jpg
87 kx250 fender 1.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you cut it right, it will look like that.

Any other rear fender than stock is going to have to be cut and re-drilled.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

I remember you mentioning that. Kind of figured there would be a bit of work to it, but hoping it’ll be a good short term solution. Any tips on what cutting and drilling needs to be done? Recommendations on what tools to use? never hurts to hear from someone who has done it. I ordered one today. The dc stocker and tail light will have to be a project for later on.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

I hear ya on the chain. It’s not crazy tight, don’t think any damage was done, but it’s definitely not ideal. Will reset tension once the sliders arrive. Hope they aren’t thrashed. Don’t really want to spend $40 on new ones.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think a jigsaw would do it. I cut one for a test back in 2003. Some trimming is required.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

My engine brackets and chain sliders are supposed to arrive today so hoping to install those (if the slider is useable) and adjust chain tension. It'll be interesting to see if the upper engine bracket dampens the vibration noticeably. I would assume it would, but I guess we'll see. I'll hopefully be receiving most of my parts next week (barring shipping delays) so if time allows I'll start replacing things. I haven't inspected the fork seals yet, but hopefully they are ok.

You don't happen to have that 87 kx fender lying around anymore by chance do you? It would be cool to see a pic or two of the trimming, etc. you did to it.

Looking at the pic above, it looks like he mounted the down turned edges of the sides of the fender to the rear sub frame mounts. Can't tell for sure, but that's what it looks like. I figure I'll try to match up the end of the fender contour to the seat edge if it reaches and then align the two rear points then see what all needs to be trimmed, removed for it to be happy there. Fenders should be here Monday. I picked up a new front one also, both UFO.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think that fender is long gone. Sorry.

Good job on the fenders. Just use the old saying, measure twice, cut once. :-)

I think the outermost portion did go over the frame rails. Sorry, it has been 17 years. :-)
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

So, got some time with the bike this weekend. Installed the new fenders, fork boots, air filter, engine brackets, new levers and removed a bunch of unused wiring. This is the result so far.

The engine brackets did make a noticeable difference in vibration. Feels normal now. The headlight was missing the harness going to it so I just left the normal engine related wiring connected and secured the unused lighting wires to mess with later.

I did notice the upper bushing/bearing in the rear dogbone is hammered out though... the bolt moves a good 1/8”+ in that joint when I lift the bike up. Will need to pull the linkage apart one night this week and check the rest of it out.

Found the upper front rubber mount for the pipe had separated... guy threw on some zip ties to hold it...
So I removed the works and drilled through both plates and the rubber isolator and put a bolt and nut on it. Should hold now.

Still have to install the kill switch and grips, new seat foam and cover, exhaust gaskets and springs, kips rod oil seal and chain sliders when they show up, but it’s starting to come together.

Then clean and check carb to make sure settings are factory, add fresh gas with proper mix, change trans oil, oh, and swap out rear tire. Then I think it’ll be ready to ride.

I’ll post more as I get things done : )
Attachments
5E52BD30-BB9D-498A-B99E-BE079E6134E9.jpeg
5E52BD30-BB9D-498A-B99E-BE079E6134E9.jpeg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 4609 times
40AF204F-448B-4F0E-B088-A7218A836D54.jpeg
40AF204F-448B-4F0E-B088-A7218A836D54.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 4609 times
4CF2F6B5-6280-4C6C-BC0A-2A10AD750909.jpeg
4CF2F6B5-6280-4C6C-BC0A-2A10AD750909.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 4609 times
786027A5-8DDA-42A7-BEA8-2348655EA41F.jpeg
786027A5-8DDA-42A7-BEA8-2348655EA41F.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 4609 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dude.

That looks nice. :supz:

Check "All Balls" for a rebuild kit for the link. "heim bearings". OEM are SUPER expensive IF you find one.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Thanks! I will check those out. Yeah, looked and saw they weren’t available and was hoping there might be aftermarket.

Rear fender actually is too wide, but if you squeeze it together it pops right up between the rear mounts. I trimmed off a tiny little bit of the flare at the front on the sides, but that was it. I could have mounted it as is I think, but where it bumps up after the seat was about 1/2” away from the rear of the seat so I redrilled the front holes to get it closer. Then just lined up the downturned edges of the fender with the side mounting holes, drilled and mounted.

Thanks again for the recommendation on that year/model fender. Not factory, but it looks good and didn’t require much to get it into place.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Hey, KDXGarage, wondering if you have any links to those heim bearings? I’m seeing lots of linkage kits for the newer bikes, but nothing for the 86-88. So they're actually heim style spherical bearings? I’m wondering if I’m just going to need to try to find them separately by size.

Was going to write to all balls support staff or pivot works and see if they can help at all, but figured I’d ask here first.

Thanks again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you? :mrgreen:

One has to look up the KDX200 part number, see that it also fits 1985 KX125, then go search for 1985 KX125 parts on their site.

https://www.allballsracing.com/27-1105.html

out of stock at their site

Maybe some distributor has it. Someone on eBay, and someone on Amazon shows having one.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Was hoping it would be 🤓... but as a young (we’ll not so much anymore) grasshopper I see that I have much to learn : )

So does that kit work for the kdx? Or is it just the spherical bearings in the kit that work? Wasn’t sure if you took just the bearing part number from the kdx and cross referenced that and found a kit that contained it or if all the parts work?

If you didn’t go that far with it, I can do the legwork. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated!
Last edited by Wesalauzen on 11:18 am Jun 09 2020, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The wide tube is the same, I THINK! the two seals are the same, two large bearings, four seals for those, two needle bearings

I think every single part is the same. I looked up most earlier, then a few now on the shock top bearing.
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

I just compared the two, looks like most everything is interchangeable. In fact I think you’re right that every parts is the same. That’s awesome! Would suck to have to buy a kit that you could only use a piece or two from. Thanks again.
Last edited by Wesalauzen on 11:35 am Jun 09 2020, edited 1 time in total.