White plastics for 88

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
PolarWhiteC

White plastics for 88

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Hi guys,

I really wanted a set of plastics for my 88, and was not willing to settle and make it green, so I reached out to Tom at DC plastics. They make a vacuum formed reproduction set for the 88 in green. I asked him to make some white for me and he said no problem. This has been my experience with them.
20200219_131325.jpg
20200219_131325.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
There are no brackets on the back, I have not figured out how I am putting a headlight in yet because I do not have the original one to play with, but you can see they riveted this tub-like rectangle on the back of it. I found a creative way to secure it to the handle bar clamps with simple L brackets that feels pretty solid. I replaced the plastic garden mesh that came with it for some aluminum diamond mesh I powder coated black, looks pretty sharp I'll have to post some pics.
20200219_183158.jpg
20200219_183158.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
The rear fender comes with no holes pre-drilled. This was a good thing for me because the rear frame is slightly tweaked, and by off setting the holes just a little I have it looking very straight. The part where the tail light mounts is not flat and it going to take more creative energy to make fit.
20200219_184301.jpg
20200219_184301.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
Everything fit with little modification with the exception of the tail light. The two side panels need 10mm spacers for the lower mounting holes, they are 10mm shallower than their injection molded counterparts. This was not a big deal I spun some out of aluminum and it's not much hassle to put them in place when bolting everything up.
20200220_161334.jpg
20200220_161334.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
These panels are much more flexible than OEM. The instructions say heat with a heat gun and bend as needed to make fit. The rear panels were somewhat flat, and I had a tough time getting the memory out of them completely. You can see they almost flare out, but not quite, as opposed to curving in. I am ok with that at this point. They do look really nice.
20200407_013603.jpg
20200407_013603.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: White plastics for 88

Post by targetman »

Looks great. Now we need to get him to make a gas tank and cap.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

MAN! That turned out pretty well! Thanks for reporting back.

Check that chain tension!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Thanks guys. Ha ha, yeah I'm definitely at the lower end of 2" slack, That chain and sprockets were brand new in that pic. Few laps around the yard to loosen it up and it is a bit better. Seems like one notch down and its too loose.
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

targetman wrote: 07:58 am Apr 12 2020 Looks great. Now we need to get him to make a gas tank and cap.
Right, and a way to make the decals stay on the tank we'll be all set. I have the correct set for mine but haven't put them on yet because I'm not sure how to make them stay there. As soon as it got warm out one day these blue ones started getting tiny bubbles, right now they are starting to de-laminate and are puffy with big air bubbles. I've been reading up on epoxy liners but nothing seems appropriate for a plastic tank that will be subject to repeated flexing.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The best way is to drain the tank after every ride.

Otherwise, they won't be sticking real well.
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Is that still effective after fuel has been permeating the plastic for 30 years? Thinking about making perforated clear panels for the sides of the tank to keep them in place and prevent my knees from rubbing them off.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah. Getting stickers to stick to really old plastic tanks is tough.

I have seen some really nasty tanks that are stained brown.
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

Bike looks great! Wonder how many white ones they sold - seems like they are really rare.

For the stickers - I bet you could find a 3M VHB or transfer tape that has an adhesive that will work, then stick the stickers onto the VHB and cut them out to shape. I don't know what adhesive would be appropriate - you'll want one that is gasoline resistant and for low surface energy substrates. You can typically get small pieces on Ebay or Amazon for testing