E or H ignition system complete

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
arjay200

E or H ignition system complete

Post by arjay200 »

Hi there. Can the whole ignition - stator, flywheel, coil and CDI off E or H series be swapped onto a C engine? Or would the power curve not work for the air cooled motor? I'm looking for an upgrade to newer parts since the old one has fallen to bits. Thanks for any thoughts. (I've read a few older threads but not ones about a full swap)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: E or H ignition system complete

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

The short answer is I don’t know. The longer answer is have you considered whether the stator plate would fit the c’s mounting points in the motor? Will the flywheel fit the taper on the crank? Does the wire have the same method of sealing on its way out of the ignition cover? I believe the CDI in the c model changes timing based on rpms and the position of the power valves at those rpms. How has that changed over the years. I don’t remember if the strokes are the same; I think they are. There’s probably some other stuff I haven’t even though of yet
I like turtles
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

These guys seem to have a good solution and knowledge of the various years: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html
The Flywheel does fit on the crank, I have a H model on my 86 but it is around 90deg out.